Tank Riders and Smoke

tailesin

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Yes, The HT passengers can fire their own LMG's but cannot throw a smoke grenade...it sounds odd. But at least the CE crew of the halftrack can try for smoke.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Say you have an 8mportant vehicle zeroed in by the enemy. Roll up with your carrier and pop smoke, drop off your passengers who then smoke grenade another hex. This means your tank is now getting +4 on the initial shot and if he can pop smokecas well, he may well be out of line if sight so loses the acquisition and will be in motion before he can be shot.
IIRC there is some rule that allows certain carriers to pop smoke into TWO hexes.
So your endangered vehicle may be totally out of sight all of a sudden.

von Marwitz

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Say you have an 8mportant vehicle zeroed in by the enemy. Roll up with your carrier and pop smoke, drop off your passengers who then smoke grenade another hex. This means your tank is now getting +4 on the initial shot and if he can pop smokecas well, he may well be out of line if sight so loses the acquisition and will be in motion before he can be shot.
That's an optimistic prediction......it never works out as planned/hoped.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I think the orthodox approach, and by the letter of the rules is that being the PCR no infantry, it cant throw smoke.

But

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
In a friendly game, and after looking at D5.43, I would defend at court, because it looks to me as a sensible way to disembark from a tank/APC, and for sure Charles Bronson or John Wayne would use it, that you can throw smoke.

When you decide to disembark you know the MF you will have (depending of the previous movement of the AFV); I use MF and considered infantry and subject to FFNAM... Why should I have to wait to get outside de AFV to throw the smoke??

The reason is the rules of course, but, as I tell you, in a friendly game, I would allow my enemy to use that trick as soon as he show me rule D5.43.

Cheers

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
it looks to me as a sensible way to disembark from a tank/APC
The most sensible thing to do is to disembark out of harm's way.
Then, of course, there are desperate situations, where one tries to mitigate the risks.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I think it was an ambush... Fortunatelly John Wayne and Charles Bronson had some smoke cans!!!