Tank and its Options.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The situation is that a Soviet Stuart tank is Adjacent to a 81 MM mortar and crew. Its turret is turned toward the enemy, but it is facing in the opposite direction. Can the tank fire its 37LL first and then turn and then fire its MGs at the crew? Or must the shots be all done at once? After the tank has pivoted? Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The situation is that a Soviet Stuart tank is Adjacent to a 81 MM mortar and crew. Its turret is turned toward the enemy, but it is facing in the opposite direction. Can the tank fire its 37LL first and then turn and then fire its MGs at the crew? Or must the shots be all done at once? After the tank has pivoted? Tim

Weapons on a vehicle may attack in any order and attacks need not be declared in advance. Mandatory FG applies to vehicular MGs so if firing on the same target multiple MGs (and IFE) must make one attack, but ordnance obviously can't FG. The DRM for CA change will apply only for CA changes done prior to the attack, so a vehicle might fire its MA without a CA change (and so no case A DRM), then fire its MGs after a CA change with the appropriate case A DRM.

JR

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yes, you can. but if you pivot the tank to fire the MGs later, and pivot back the TCA to fire the CMGs after pivoting the CA, you'll have to pay all the CA/TCA drm cost changes. You are better off firing the CMG along with the MA because the chances are the BMG attack after all those pivots at +3 4 or 5 won't do much anyway, even combined with the CMG. fire the BMG at something else.

cheers.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the advise. I am Adjacent to the front of the church, which is the only victory point position not yet taken. There are two HIP SW left somewhere, a FT and a HMG. And at least two HIP Rumanian 537 engineer squads. The logical place is the back of the church. And Steven my opponent, who moved the rallied 227 Rumanian crew back to the foxhole with the 81 mm mortar, loves traps. So overrunning the position seems like a good choice, but I think it's fools gold for my tank. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A further complication is that there is a 447 Soviet rider on the tank. We had always played that firing the Gun of a tank caused the rider to bail off, but Steve looked closely at the rules at the game and could not find that rule. We understand that turning the turret or moving through woods would cause a bail off. But turning the tank while the turret is pointed in another direction? Maybe he did not look in the right section of the armor rules. Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A further complication is that there is a 447 Soviet rider on the tank. We had always played that firing the Gun of a tank caused the rider to bail off, but Steve looked closely at the rules at the game and could not find that rule. We understand that turning the turret or moving through woods would cause a bail off. But turning the tank while the turret is pointed in another direction? Maybe he did not look in the right section of the armor rules. Tim
Firing does not cause riders to bail out. I think that was an old squad leader rule. Changing TCA relative to the VCA does cause riders to bail out [D6.21], but changing the VCA (while keeping the TCA relative to the VCA) does not.

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve and Don were both avid Squad Leader players. I can count on my one hand the number of times I played. I think that this is the source of Steve's misconception. Tim

Aavar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My question is how did the turret get facing the opposite direction of the tank( ie you turned the turret) without the riders already having had to bail?)unless the riders loaded after the turret turned and you have been driving the tank with the turret facing backwards.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good question. We must have overlooked the rule at the time. Too late now. Tim