Talonsoft's West Front

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Imagine my glee when I found this game in my local bargain bin for $7! :D

Imagine my anger when now, a full day later, I can't get the game to run! :mad:

I have scoured the 'Net for patches, and found a couple sites that have them listed. However, when I try to download them, I'm told the file no longer exists there.

I've also tried every setting on the WinXP's Compatibility Wizard. I'm using WinXP Home, updated as far as I can make it.

Medic!

moondog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Talonsoft and West Front, East Front etc...

Hi Jim,
I noticed your post and thought I'd share. Here's the deal. I work for the man who programmed All of Talonsoft's Battleground Games and Campaign Series Games. JOhn Tiller. Great games all of them.
I used to have all the Campaign Series Games loaded on my machine when I was running WinME. I updated to WinXP overwriting WinME which allowed me to keep playing East Front and West Front. However somewhere along the way with updating WinXP I lost the ability to use East Front....and then a few after that I lost West Front.
Since John Tiller moved to HPS Simulations Talonsoft was bought out by Take 2 Interactive and even before they sold out, Jim Rose let everyone know that he had no intentions of continuing the line or supporting the products for XP.
John Tiller has been extremely busy with SOOOOO many other products as well as the fact that he no longer works for Talonsoft...that he currently has no plans to put out a patch.
However, you could send him an e-mail or visit his website and maybe find out if I'm wrong. The Real Unofficial Wargame Page

Not sure if I've helped......but just thought I'd should say something.

dog

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you very much, MD! I know Mr. Tiller's name well, and I've got some things aside from patches I would love to speak to him about concerning growing this site.

:horse:

Alan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As an alternative, Jim try this site - www.theblitz.org They have an active (if not the most active) Campaign Series community that I'm sure will be able to help out if they can. Good luck.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Blitz is the best place for the patches regarding Talonsoft games. Here's a direct link to the patches location:

http://www.theblitz.org/downloads/patches.php#cs

Another thing with XP and West Front. When you are saving a scenario or a campaign game make sure that the game is saved in the West Front folder as XP has a tendancy to save it directly to My Documents.

You are searching for the West Front 1.05 patch.

Although Talonsoft is no longer, there are a few members of The Blitz, including myself, who are creating (and have created) expansion CDs for East Front II and West Front. These include new units, new oobs and, of course, new scenarios.

I'm presently working on a rather large EFII expansion that primarily focuses on the battles around Smolensk, 1941.

Vive la Campaign Series..

Hope that helps
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A further point.

Jim, if you're interested in learning how to Play by Email with West Front, I'd be happy to give you a hand.

Just let me know
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Hunter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Talonsoft Game patches

jim,

If you go to this site:

http://www.wargamer.com/thegamersnet/patches.asp

You will find the patches that you need for East/West Front as well as a host of other games such as TAOW 1/2, Rising Sun, the Battleground series as well.

It is a shame that Talonsoft is no longer around. This was almost a sure thing when the news that Take Two had bought up Talonsoft a few years ago.

But this site you can find the patches you need. Mr. Tiller is a outstanding gentleman and will ansewer your email personaly. I know I've had to ask him about some items in the BG series and he has always been kind to ansewer.

Unfortunately, he didn't have anything to do with the East/West /Rising Sun series as he was the designer of the ACW /Napolenoic wars Battleground series and his web page

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tiller/

is a necessary stopping place for necessary patches for these games.

You see most of the Battle ground series are 16 bit programs and most of us die hard ACW BG players use the 32 bit modified programs.

The biggest problem that you and others have is that you need the last official TALONSOFT PATCH before you can use the Tiller paatches ( in the case of the Battleground Series ) to get them up to the 32 bit versions.

The last of the Battleground series ( BG 9: Chickamaugua ) was published by Talonsoft in 1999 and then was only available in the stores for a limited time and then only from Talonsoft . You can't find these games any longer except on ebay and Amazon .

Outside of the patches, there is good news= these programs WILL run under XP without any problems. The one that needs a patch for XP is Chickamaugua and you can get that at the following site:

http://www.acwgc.com/topo/default.asp

I hope this helps.

Hunter

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks all, Gentlemen.

Here's the reply from Mr. Tiller himself:
Jim,

West Front uses a copy protection scheme that was not designed to run under NT and may have problems under XP. I'm not sure if there is a work-around and I don't think that TalonSoft is providing a patch. You might find a solution in the Usenet forums (see Google groups for example).

Hunter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
west Front

Jim,

I can tell you for certain that Talonsoft has gone to join Microprose in the grave yard of once great companies.
Their web site is no more, replaced by Take Two's own little spot.

ALL support for these games are history. The web sites I put the addresses to in my post are the only ones where I could get the patches I needed for the BG games. West/East Front are listed with the patches that were available on the Talonsoft site.

As for the copy protection John may be correct as both the last Battleground and West Front games came out at the same time and probably have the same encryption program.

I know that there is a XP patch for Battleground 9: Chickamaugua that is on the ACWC web site, but I never heard anything about your game.

Hunter

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good day

>>West Front uses a copy protection scheme that was not designed to run under NT and may have problems under XP. I'm not sure if there is a work-around and I don't think that TalonSoft is providing a patch. You might find a solution in the Usenet forums (see Google groups for example).

Fortunately, West Front - as well as the other CS games - work fine when operating on XP. It's just a matter of having the latest patch installed.

As a diehard CS player/scenario designer I can vouch for that!

Hope all is well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WOOHOO!

It works!

Got the patch from File Front , copied those files over all the former files, and now she's up & running!

Now to just locate a spare rulebook somewhere...

:banana:

For those who may want to know, here's what I did:
I downloaded the file (it comes WinZipped), and unzipped it all into a seperate folder, aside from the West Front folder. I then copied the new file's contents into the West Front folder, overwriting everything there. Closed it all down, rebooted, and fired up the game from disk, and voila'!

moondog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
West Front

YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA!!!!! West Front works......I wish I could do the same to East Front

Jim, After you're done training, I'm ready for a fight.

dog

moondog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
East Front II

Actually, No I haven't patched them. I took them off my machine when I couldn't get them to run anymore.

Where can I get the patch for East Front II?

Thanks

dog

moondog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
East Front II

Jason,
The link for the US version patch doesn't go anywhere? I don't suppose you have the US version? Or know of another site that might have it.

dog

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The thing I have run into now with XP is that I can't play campaigns - as the screen is all over the place - I got 2 machines funning Win 2K and will see if that makes any difference.

kinda stinks as I liked playing the campaigns as much as the stand alone scenarios.