Tallboy bomb just exploded in Poland

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Discovered during work to deepen the waterway". Mission Accomplished, I'd say.
Thank goodness no one was hurt or killed.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Big issue is that in Germany, we have countless bombs rotting away which become ever more precarious right within urban residential areas in every major and many minor cities and towns . I got evacuated from my home one time and just 'missed' that by 30 meters for a second time within the last three years when they defused 1000 lbs bomb duds.

Not funny.

von Marwitz

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely not, but sometimes humor can defuse a tense situation.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

I thought it was a gender reveal party. Which of the hundreds of acknowledged genders does white indicate, again?

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do not forget that there are still land mines in Africa, Europe, Russia, and many other areas of combat. Still active and waiting for the unwary.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Given the constant tearing down and rebuilding in Japan it is surprising that more unspent munitions are not discovered here, as well.

Just found this minutes after writing on the same subject. Apologies for the double post.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Here are the stats for cleared UXO in 2019, only for North-Rhine Westphalia, the state were i (and von Marwitz) live.

Bombs (all kinds): 2.160 pcs., Weight: approx 80 tons, thereof approx. 38 tons explosives.
Grenades: 11.061 pcs, Weight: approx 30 tons, thereof approx. 2.5 tons explosives.
Mines: 29 pcs., Weight. approx. 150 kg, thereof approx. 90 kg explosives.
Handgrenades: 689 pcs., Weight: approx 0.6 tons, thereof approx 0.2 tons explosives.
Other explosives, small arms ammunition etc.: Not counted, Weight: approx. 12 tons, thereof approx 0.9 tons explosives.

656 UXOs had to be detonated in the place where they were found, because they couldn´t be defused or the transport would have been too dangerous.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
English and German are funny sometimes - in English, mortars fire "mortar bombs" but in German they are called "grenades" (and a mortar is a granatwerfer). I'm guessing your list is to aerial bombs, mortar bombs/shells, and then mines and hand grenades?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
English and German are funny sometimes - in English, mortars fire "mortar bombs" but in German they are called "grenades" (and a mortar is a granatwerfer). I'm guessing your list is to aerial bombs, mortar bombs/shells, and then mines and hand grenades?
Yes, that would be it.

von Marwitz

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Given the constant tearing down and rebuilding in Japan it is surprising that more unspent munitions are not discovered here, as well.

Just found this minutes after writing on the same subject. Apologies for the double post.
A by-product of incendiary bombing?

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Correct. And don´t forget grenades fired by artillery, tanks, anti-tank guns, anti-aircraft guns etc.