Talavera Nappy Game

Keith Todd

Reaction score
For those who like the CWB series games and you like Nappy battles too. Talavera is close to making pre-order marks.

I really highly recommend this series and especially with the new streamlined rules!!

Talavera also contains the mini-game on the small, but decisive, 1808 battle of Vimeiro. Fought outside of Lisbon in August of 1808 between the British and French Armies of Portugal, French General Junot was defeated and surrendered both his army and Portugal to the British - setting the stage for the Peninsula War.

Check it out at MultimanPublishing.com

Keith

Kishel

Reaction score
I second that.

NBS is a great system, and I am looking forward to Talavera, and what ever comes next.

This system is well worth checking out, plus there are two free games on the MMP website under the Gamers Archive.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I enjoy Nappy games; especially the HPS/Talonsoft comp games. I have a copy of Struggle of Nations which, sadly, remains untouched. The 'grand tactical' treatments have a greater hold on me than operational treatments. After taking the CWB plunge, I picked up an inexpensive As-Ess during one of the MMP sales, which, alas, also remains unplayed. After having read Elias' designers notes of the newer version, my interest in this system was relit. I hope the innovative treatment rekindles not only the NBS, but Nappy games as a whole.

Talavera/Vimiero look to be the proper size for an introduction to this innovative and streamlined system. I hope, though, despite Anders' stated reticence, that some of the larger (and, admittedly done to death) battles are shown using this system. By this, I mean Austerlitz, Waterloo, Borodino...sure, some of these are larger than one particular day of battle ('loo) or bloody frontal assaults ('dino), but one of the hallmarks of much of the Gamers' line has always been their plausible and exciting "what-if" scenarios.

Certainly other, less francophile, battles would be a boon to the system as well as give a broader sweep of this climactic period of history. The new rules version seems to reward historical tactics without resorting to dense rules verbiage, one of the greatest challenges of any Napoleonic simulation. I hope this game gives a kickstart to this niche of the hobby as I anxiously await it.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Also all the previous NBS games (this includes Austerlitz) have been tested with the new rules. Talavera will have the necessary verbiage on them to bring them up to 3.0.

Keith

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just bumping this up, so that maybe Ol'Fezziwig will post his great review of this game.

well, not so great, but here it is:

After anxiously anticipating the arrival of Talavera/Vimeiro and reading through the rules, I finally punched, clipped and set up Vimeiro for my first NBS experience.

I was not disappointed! Play proceeds apace and the rules flow from the fountain of common sense. Despite checking the rules from time to time during play, it quickly became apparent I was only reinforcing the correct approach I had thought before diving into the book. In fact, I spent more time looking at the charts (the downloaded charts, that is) than the rules.

I've always been interested in Napoleonics, but apart from some HPS/Talonsoft PC games, never played a Nappy boardgame (though Struggle of Nations and Aspern-Essling sit on my shelves). My biggest source of disappointment has been the uncomfortable feeling that I wasn't doing it "right", which playing against any AI seems to reinforce.

This version of NBS changes that.

Having some CWB/R experience, much of the rules are familiar. What isn't, is what differentiates Napoleonic and ACW warfare: the combat, skirmishers, cavalry, opportunity fire. The rules, though, mesh incredibly well, though mastering the melange is not an easy task. Use of these assets seems to bring an Archimedean moment I have not before felt playing Napoleonics (limited, granted, that experience may be). Everyone involved with this revision should feel proud of their accomplishment, for it makes Napoleonic warfare accessible to people it may not otherwise have. Kudos to all!

Noteworthies of my game:

Burrard arrives promptly at 10:30, Wellesley pouts.

Junot has Loison and Delaborde swap brigades, which hampers Loison's attack on Vimeiro Hill.

A string of 6(!) consecutive inconclusive (1 straggler each to Fane and 28 line) firefights afront Vimeiro Hill, holding Loison's Division in its tracks.

DeLaborde's 'swapped' brigade routing/eliminated after being hit by Fane in close combat. (close combat is *severe*!)

Burrard's arrival halting the movement of Hill's division to support Vimeiro, though being quickly reformed and recalled to Army HQ.

DelaBorde's division breaking through to Vimeiro and within sniffing distance of one of the immobile British supply trains.

Skirmishers on both sides causing grief upon enemy artillery

No cavalry usage, unfortunately. The British cavalry was poised to hit DelaBorde's 'borrowed' brigade when it became DG in front of Fane, but I held the French brigade in place to avoid the reaction charge if they withdrew. It wouldn't have been the optimal use of the cavalry, but the possibility of wrecking Loison loomed, which outweighed the mere screening of an artillery battery. The French cavalry was posted to Loison's left and orders were in transit for them to attack Vimeiro Hill from the south to ease pressure on Loison as things looked grim there, before I packed my kit up for the night.(up to the 2:30P turn)

Not a stellar game played; I was looking more to get a feel for how all the pieces fit than to create a masterpiece. I was pleased with the outcome and flow of the game and look forward to many more such experiences.

addenda: This system rocks! Play (read: combat) is streamlined, though not done in a manner that is done so for its own sake. As most combat was waged at extremely close range, all infantry/cavalry combat is close combat.

The "check to stand" mechanic is ingenious and leads players to adopt historically accurate dispositions or situations to your benefit on the field. Failing that "check to stand" can be disastrous: routed units often result, leaving gaping holes in your lines and vulnerable units for the lurking cavalry units to pounce on, remorselessly.

If you're looking for an accessible Napoleonic game/system, or just one plain fun game, this is it!