TaktiK(Russian) vs ER - Meeting Engagement

Taktik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And here is the other mirrored battle with ER. This time I had the indomitable popovs to work with. I’m not going into too much detail with this one but have a number of pics I can post to go along with a little commentary. What this game will illustrate is the different styles / principles between ER and I when we played the Germans.

The params were the exact same as the one where I have the Germans. This time as Russians I took:

2 x rifle coy
1 x pioneer coy
3 x 81mm FOs
3 x T34 plts
2 x T70 plts
2 x 45mm ATG
A handful of ACs
A few transport for guns.
And perhaps a few other things I may have forgotten.

The basic plan for the Russians was similar to my German one. Advance up the road, fan out the tanks as the town is neared and engage the Germans. However, I was a good deal more diligent with the Russian armor at first, since I knew under these params, the Germans can field lots of cheap T34-killing Marders.

Again, ER surprised me; some lead German PzIIIs were run into in the heart of the town. I didn’t expect ER to race up tanks. Both sides returned fire. The Russians lost a few ACs darting for cover and a T70. ER lost but a single tank, while numerous 76mm rounds clanged off the front plate of a few PzIIIs, all refusing to find the lower hull.

Surprisingly, ER backed off. A few tank markers were detected on the other sides of small hills and behind houses, but the Germans didn’t come out and engage in force. The Russians swung around both sides of the town. German tank riders that had made it into the town were fired upon uncontested and were routed. Following behind the fleeing Germans were the Russians tank rides and soon the valiant potato farmers occupied the town center

Turn 4 shows the sharp little spat as both sides’ lead elements collide in the town. The Russians flow to the sides of the town, not wanting to engage an expected rush of German tank plts head on. This enemy force never materialized.

As with the other fight, the bulk of my infantry is far, far away. And just like the other fight, I decide to slow any further moves until I can get the infantry up and into the fray. I wanted to give the peasants a chance to use their shiny new rifles. Another reason to slow things down a bit was the threat of the Marders. I was sure ER was going to wait for me to come to him and I didn’t want to accommodate him so early in the game. I’d wait a while before I’d follow him around the ring ;)

Taktik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

By turn 10 you might ask, “Where the hell are all the Germans?” LOL. I believe ER has only lost a tank or two to this point. I mauled a few German tank riders, but the bulk of his force surely was intact. What were the Germans doing? Later, my suspicions will be realized, but ten turns in, I could only guess. It would appear ER is waiting for me to come to him, even though he outnumbers me in tanks and has lost but a few so far.

Am I so transparent? Is ER patient enough to allow me to stick my popov head into German traps and snares? Time will tell and it does.

By turn 10 I was indeed asking myself where are the damn Germans and what is taking my infantry so long and why did I make this map so big. The plan was to inch forward here or there and try to out-camp the camper until my infantry arrived.

Somewhere a few turns later I mention to ER something to the effect that it’s odd that he should turtle in an ME considering the force at his disposal. After an explanation of “turtling” and fearing ER thought I had called him a turtle literally, I regretted that he might have taken a slight :). ER is a good buddy and fun to play against, but I stood by my observation. However, ER rightfully pointed out that there is no right or wrong way to tackle an ME and no one is forcing me to come after him if he wants to play a certain way. This makes sense and it occurred to me I should not judge an opponent’s style against my own, especially if my opponent’s style is working! LOL.

I would mention that ER and I have very frank discussions and we are open minded enough to except the other’s opinions even if there is disagreement between us.

Now, back to the fight. You can see the Russian infantry is still a few turns away from getting into the action. I had decided I would advance along my left wing at the town’s edge on that flank. After the infantry finally gets into harm’s way, I pay attention to the moves of the infantry wanting to practice a bit with them since I intend to play more infantry-centric, combined arms games in the future. This would be a good on the job refresher.

Last edited:

Taktik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is a view of turn 20. Between turn 10 and turn 20 not much happens. The advance on my left progresses with not much opposition, although attentively plan my moves expecting German infantry HS to start appearing in every spot that can fit them.

By turn 20 I am only starting to encounter Germans. It is immediately apparent that ER has indeed set up shop waiting for me to approach. Numerous Marders are spotted grouped in pairs, placed in nice firing positions. As the game ends and my advance on the left meets firm resistance, these tanks will stir to life and begin to push towards the middle flag.

There is some activity on my extreme right flank where scattered units of ours skirmish but nothing definitive happens and the results of such don’t’ seem to have much impact on the game.

From this view you can see the very nice overwatch position on the hill near ER’s big flag. Early in the game I spotted a group of tank markers up there and dumped a load of 81mm off board on it hoping to damage / kill Marders. The Germans pulled away, but later have reinvested it.

You can also see the approach of the Russian infantry as it gets tantalizingly close to the German’s big flag.

More will come later. ER and I are still duking it out in this one, so don’t want to give away any last second tips to the diabolical ER!

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Interesting AAR again ... or should i call it CAR --- Current Action Report? :) I fear you might still give out a bit too much battlefield info here, Craig :devil:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
hey, I did not know until I read it.... what do you want me to do? Sell my eyes? :D