Taking DM in OG

Beseler

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Alright, I have a broken unit in an open ground hex. He's been there a few turns, and is no longer DM.

I now want him to rout to a building. I notice that, beyond an orchard hex, there is a newly arrived KEU, within normal range and in LOS.

A10.62: A broken unit is also automatically under DM whenever a Known armed enemy unit is ADJACENT to it (even if it does not end the phase ADJACENT to it) or when it starts a RtPh in Open Ground in the LOS and Normal Range (10.532) of a Known enemy unit.

This made me happy, as I threw on a DM counter and routed away.

However, 10.532 references interdiction, and thus, am I correct to assume that the definition of 'open ground' in this rule is that used for interdiction? In other words, because the KEU could not interdict me, I am not in 'open ground' and thus cannot take DM status?

If the latter is true, is it the case that, in such a situation, despite being in an 'truly' 'open ground' hex, my unit must simply sit there, without a DM counter, watching the world go by?

ie, as I didn't 'choose' to retain it earlier, I can't just take it now?

THANKS!

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Beseler said:
In other words, because the KEU could not interdict me, I am not in 'open ground' and thus cannot take DM status?
Correct.

Beseler said:
If the latter is true, is it the case that, in such a situation, despite being in an 'truly' 'open ground' hex, my unit must simply sit there, without a DM counter, watching the world go by?
No, he can Self-Rally, which is much more readily accomplished without a DM marker on top.

Beseler said:

THANKS!
Exactly. There are certain rules which are geared towards preventing you, the Player, from having total control over his broken units, and that is one of them.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Beseler said:
Yes, you should have chosen to retain the DM.