Taking a stab at a scenario

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Taking a stab at what I'm calling the first is a series of "plausibles" which is just my word for a playtested DYO.

I'm thinking a company of Americans supported by a platoon of M4s and battalion mortars are tasked to flush the Germans out of a crossroads/edge-of-town/village type defensive location. For extra chrome, there is a battery (section?) of AA Guns positioned nearby that should also be cleared.

The idea is a 6-ish Turn clash that is amenable to being played with 2 players on the US team.

I've purposefully left off SMC (and crews) in this image but do you think, at first glance, that the US has too many or too few squads to accomplish the goals? And are the forces/equipment in play plausible/appropriate for the combatants of the time (late summer/early autumn 44)? Those are 3x M4 and a StuG IIIG (that one I just grabbed somewhat randomly). The 2x 4-6-7 and the AFV are Turn 3 reinforcements. The OBA would be HE/Smoke with a Level 3 Offboard Observer.

I like 1a for its 3 player friendly arrangement and looking to extend the scenario pool for our local game day when there is an odd person out.

brainstorm.png

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In as much as the Germans are defending stone buildings & have a wealth of high ROF weapon systems as well as high ROF anti-personnel systems available, I would give the U.S. side an additional rifle platoon along with adding an M2 mortar or two and perhaps an M7 HMC or M8 HMC or even two more M4's as the scenario probably takes place in '44-45 (decent PFs available). SANs would most likely be a 4 for the defender (looks as if they've been there a while) and perhaps a two or three for the Americans. The ability to HIP the Guns is large but may be offset being a DYO (Solitaire?) engagement.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
interesting base concept. I tend to agree beefing up the amis is likely going to be prudent. with HIP Guns, high TEM and higher ROF, and an equality of force overall, the Germans will have a better than decent crack at stopping the amis cold here as is. Assuming August/ Sept 1944 time frame.

I'd be tempted to give the Amis the detailed fire support they would have likely received to even it up some. An OBA 7-0 with a radio, plentiful Bn Mtr Arty with HE/ WP / Smoke should go a long way. Given the amis know the germans are dug in here and have gun support tubes nearby - a pre- reg hex would also be a useful addition for that OBA. (and allow a smoke barrage to cover the advance, nicely.)

Or add in the HMCs as above, perhaps an M10 TD if the amis knew the StuG was about and active. a dm .50 cal with a decent ldr (9/2) would go a long way to redressing the concerns of getting the germans out of the town and taking down the guns, also - and woyuld not be out of place to be assigned to this sort of attack as organic fire support (add a 2-2-7 crew to schupp it). I'd also consider the TOE for the time frame on zooks. 1 for an entire company prepared assault seems a bit low.

That's my suggestions, not all inclusive of course - pick/choose is the way to go.

One final one if you wanted to candy this thing up for some serious tourney consideration while addressing balance - give the amis some air support FB with bombs - and then the AA guns got to decide who to shoot at, planes or people. :). The planes and their bombs would fit entirely within the post- Cobra breakout period in north-central france - before or during Mortain or Falaise. ( where I might put this).

KRL, jon H

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Since you have a full USA company OoB, you should seriously think of the company's 3x60mm MTR, either as pieces or as OBA (as per the rules/Chapter H). Those would be inherent and available to that company and nobody else. You then could have some 81mm battalion MTR or 105/155mm OBA in addition from higher (battalion (81), regimental cannon company (105) or divisional artillery (105/155)) level assets.

Last edited:

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for all the feedback! My inclination is to make the German force smaller rather than beef up the Americans to keep the playing time down to meet my secondary goals, but some extra tools to help out the 6-6-6s may be in order. :)