Tactiques TAC 36 La mort vient du ciel - "Death from the Sky"

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Does anyone have the French version of this scenario?

Would like to compare the original SSR with the translated version done by Coastal Fortress.

TIA

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Non, mais je peux lire un 'tit peu. :)

French translation was a compulsory component of my undergraduate degree. I retain little of the course, but can usually mudde my way through short excerpts.

The second half of SSR 4, while clumsily stated in English, may be successfully parsed, if one makes a logical assumption about the intent. Not so the latter half of SSR 2, which is open to interpretation in light of what B23.2-.22 says about stairwells and obstacle height.

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Pay attention that for the French, the "second floor" is what American may call "third floor". Hence, the right translation would be "no building rises above level 1".

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Chris. I am currious how the French translation words things?
Don't quote me on any of this, but below are my interpretations.

SSR 2
Aucun bâtiment ne possède 2e étage.

There is no mention of "stairwells," as found in the English translation. I would be tempted to translate this as "No buildings have a Second Floor." Deuxième étage (third floor in North America) is not the same thing as "second level," although it was probably intended to coincide with "Level 2" in ASL terms. A better translation may have been: "No buildings have printed stairwells (B23.23)," or better, "Printed stairwells are NA."

Had the intent been no upper levels whatsoever, I would have expected something more specific, the French equivalent of "all buildings are ground level only," e.g. "Tous les bâtiments sont au niveau du sol seulement"--a Google translation, not my own. (Rez-de-chaussée refers to the ground storey of building in France. However, this French term is unhelpful in ASL legalese.)

I see Benj partly beat me to it.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Pay attention that for the French, the "second floor" is what American may call "third floor". Hence, the right translation would be "no building rises above level 1".
Once the SSR says something like that, you then have to ask if all buildings have an inherent stairwell in every hex, or those buildings with marked stairwells still have stairwells in those hexes only.

JR

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SSR 4
Le canon allemand est transporte par glider avec son equipage comme pour un planeur allié.

This is more difficult to parse, although the literal translation by Coastal Fortress below appears fairly spot on.
"The RCL Gun is transported with its crew by a glider as an allied equivalent [glider]."

IMO, neither the French nor the English versions above clearly state the intent, which I think I have grokked below.

My gut suggests that the SSR should have read something similar to this: "Contrary to E8.1, the RCL Gun (and its crew) may be transported in a German glider (i.e. as if it were a 19PP American glider)."

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I believe that most players will suss out the second part of SSR 4, the part dealing with the RCL. The latter half of SSR 2 remains something of a problem, IMO.

In my view, this part of the SSR is open to different interpretations in English (as well as in the French version). But let's stick with the English translation: "No building has stairwells," and treat it literally.

Currently, TAC 36 strongly favours Tito's Partizans on ROAR (9-4). How much this can be attributed to having upper building levels in play is difficult to gauge. However, I think it is fair to say that the Partizan defence is easier to crack if no building has stairwells, inherent or otherwise.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hence, the right translation would be "no building rises above level 1".
Sorry to pile on, but thought I should mention that multi-hex buildings, even those without upper levels by SSR, are nevertheless a 1½ level obstacle to LOS, which includes most Factories.

Taken literally then, your proposed translation would also change the height of all multi-hex buildings, and therefore open up new LOS.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
SSR 2
Aucun bâtiment ne possède 2e étage.
This, translated litterally, says "No building has a (3rd) floor". I would interpret this as meaning that, whenever the map and rules say that a building has a ground leve, first level, and second level (i.e., multi-hex building with non-inherent stairwell), the second level is cancelled - I would argue that this does not change the rule about stairwell, i.e. such a building would have no inherent stairwell, only the map-present one.

(Now, I used to have the Tactiques magazine containing this one, but have lost it; and I'm not sure where this was reprinted in English...)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This, translated litterally, says "No building has a (3rd) floor". I would interpret this as meaning that, whenever the map and rules say that a building has a ground leve, first level, and second level (i.e., multi-hex building with non-inherent stairwell), the second level is cancelled - I would argue that this does not change the rule about stairwell, i.e. such a building would have no inherent stairwell, only the map-present one.

(Now, I used to have the Tactiques magazine containing this one, but have lost it; and I'm not sure where this was reprinted in English...)
I, and two of the people I discussed this with prior to posting, agree with your translation. You can find the English versions here.

Attachments