Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
A new "why does Shock Force suck" thread at BFC:

My favourite part is where Thomm displays his inability to count to three, but nothing new for my least-favourite beta tester.

Other highlights are a non-responsive response from Jon Sowden in the form of a pronounciamento that doesn't actually tell anyone anything but is tailored to dissuade people from continuing to post in the topic. Luckily the tactic hasn't worked.

Thomm doesn't toe the company line too well, though - he's calling for two things that BFC has explained away previously, and actually make sense to me.

a) he complains about the inability to place smoke grenades. Actually, I think he's right here - BFC explained this away with reference to their World War II title, saying they weren't used much in 1939-45. They are obviously used much more today. However,

b) he complains the Syrian squad can't be split. Steve has said this is a tactical drawback. I think Steve may be right - it does give the Syrians the only real bit of flavour in the game as far as making one squad some sort of differentiation and making them not just a U.S. Army squad wearing different clothes, but actually making them play differently.

Maybe Thomm is only voicing things poorly, however, as I agree conceptually that individuals or pairs should be able to split off from squads to accomplish tasks - either automatically, via the AI (to avoid the need to "babysit" them), or by the player - stuff like scouting (hey, Leto - run up to the steeple and see if you can spot any tanks on the next hill!), or acquiring stuff (Redwolf, run back to the track and grab the Javelin!) - or even just simulating guard duty. This is stuff entire half-squads wouldn't do.

There are some interesting points raised that again highlight the lack of depth to the simulation.

Granularity of the rubble - it's all or nothing at this stage. You get one big gob of it falling in place when you shatter a building. Or not. You don't have small piles, you don't have falling rubble, or stuff that scatters. You can't drive through it, your vehicle drivers always know it is impassable, so you can't get stuck. In real life, a driver won't always know these things - sometimes a couple of two-by-fours and a piece of tin is just garbage, sometimes it is hiding a drop into a cellar. Is this necessary for a game? No, and at this stage in the CMX2 development, it would be chrome to include it, but something to think about. I would expect CM: Normandy to make some improvements going forward though - certainly an improvement to the animation of a collapsing building - even the shock wave of CM:BO was better than what they have now (oops, living in the past again).

Other good stuff in the thread also. They do tend to crop up with astonishing regularity, don't they, these "what are we missing" ones.

Ken hits it on the head quite well as to the whole game. So much goes on under the hood, that you reach the point of just ignoring it, and it's almost like a shell game:

And, perhaps most substantially but often forgotten, HOW DOES CHAIN OF COMMAND AFFECT FIGHTING?

Currently I have no idea how being in or out of command affects anything. I simply ignore it. In fact, without constant referencing to the manual, I frequently forget what the four unit attributes are. (Tiredness levels are self-explanatory, but is fatigued worse than tired? I don't know...) That whole section of the UI is something I ignore.

Oooh, let me say that again: That whole section of the UI is something I ignore.

A tooltip would help. If I hover the mouse over that part of the UI, open a box which states, for example: CURRENT UNIT FITNESS LEVEL: READY. Then list the entire possible spectrum; Outstanding; Very Ready; Ready; Tired but willing; Gasping for Air; Fatigued; Can't lift a finger; Unconscious . Make it a vertical list and have the current status bold and highlighted. Then I, the PLAYER, would know where they are in the possible spectrum.

Put a red bar at the limit they could achieve. Like, if a conscript, out of shape, squad could only be Very Ready (at best), then the list would be the same as above, but between Outstanding and Very Ready there would be a limiting bar and Outstanding would be in dull grey, signifying it was unobtainable for that unit.

Similar UI for each of the other attributes.

Oh, one more thing: let me DROP items I've ACQUIRED. Please.
You could probably draw up an entire list of stuff that is in CMX2 that gets bragged up in the literature, but which can be safely ignored since the player has no influence on it, has no need to know about it, and it really doesn't influence the decision making anyway. I mean, the stars in the sky are astrologically accurate, there is allegedly real-world ballistics data in play, the U.S. soldiers have those little computers, etc. but when it comes time to click and click and click in RT, so little of it seems to matter in the decision tree of playing the game it's really just window dressing in the PR campaign of selling the game. At least they didn't mention the rack and pinion steering in the Syrian land rover or the air conditioning in the Humvee...

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't say that I agree with most posters there about what the main problems for realistic tactics are.

Shows that we are all individuals :)

Sirocco

Reaction score
Country
ll
The building collapse I saw in 1.1 looked pretty cool.

Putting a lot of things into CMx2 that were in CMx1 would be a good start. But it seems such a struggle to make them see the light. I'm surprised at the resilience of some posters.

Sirocco

Reaction score
Country
ll
Discussing the game and following where it goes is one thing, actually posting over there and trying to make them see the light is another thing entirely. ;)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't have the time to wade thru it all but fortunately Michael, Redwolf, KG_Jag & others are keeping us informed & up to date here. :D
But aren't we also amusing you?

This from Chelco was mildly funny:

1) The inability of the TacAI to figure out a covered or concealed route to anywhere.
2) The inability of the TacAI to see that something bad will happen if it continues on a route that has a pile of +20 corpses on it.
3) The ability of the TacAI to show 1) and 2) at the same time.
Realizing the difficulties of programming AIs, etc., etc., still funny.

Sirocco

Reaction score
Country
ll
I still don't understand why the engine seems to be so reliant on doors. I tend to look at it on every major patch and whenever I do squads appear to wander into harms way intent on finding a doorknob to twist, rather than entering through a window on a concealed building facing.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you imagine the mess if BFC had tried to code in automatic waypoint adjustments to use cover "when necessary" and "stop driving where wrecks are"?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But aren't we also amusing you?
Absolutely! :laugh: :D

Realizing the difficulties of programming AIs, etc., etc., still funny.
I don't know how to do programming or doing heart surgery but what I do know is: When a surgeon says he's going to go in & fix your heart he should know how to do it & do it right WHEN he goes in. When BFC says they are going to fix CMx1's problems & make CMx2 better...

Btw Michael- visited your site, very nice with good info, links & brought back a lot of gaming memories. :salute:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Btw Michael- visited your site, very nice with good info, links & brought back a lot of gaming memories. :salute:
Ah, thanks. Wish I had more time to devote to it. Tactical wargaming is really only as old as most of us are; a lot of people forget that - game designers included. And yet, there are so many games and game concepts squeezed into that time frame - and so many lessons to be learned just going back and looking at what worked - and what didn't - in the past. It seems fruitful to try and capture some of it all. Glad you got a memory or two sparked at least.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another thing that I forgot, mostly due to selective memory, no doubt my brain trying to protect itself:
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=84928

All these spotting things now that the terrain is not abstracted will be tough, in a high concealment region like Normandy.

And earlier problems included the one where two friendly units directly next to either other can't see the same thing. And vice versa, a tank cresting a ridge, with 4 enemy tanks showing up directly in front (all within a few degrees vision), only two of them counted by the game engine as spotted.

I think there's a can of worms waiting here.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think there's a can of worms waiting here.
And it will just have to continue to wait, because there's obviously nobody trying to open it on the BFC end...

(From Normal Dude, in response to Adam)
I don't really see how this is unreasonable, unless they now need to model soldiers turning their heads to please you. Because we all know know that real people just look straight forward like they have massive bolts in their necks fixing them in place. Apparently the soldiers are supposed to be deaf as well.
:rolleyes:

That was actually posted after the following quote from Adam, but it certainly won't give Adam any reason to change his mind:
(from Adam)
Yeah, because spotting CARS on OPEN ROADS is the same thing as spotting a concealed machine gun from 350 yards.

Honestly... you guys strike me as unable to think sometimes.

Tell you what, forget it.

John

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A new "why does Shock Force suck" thread at BFC:

My favourite part is where Thomm displays his inability to count to three, but nothing new for my least-favourite beta tester.

Other highlights are a non-responsive response from Jon Sowden in the form of a pronounciamento that doesn't actually tell anyone anything but is tailored to dissuade people from continuing to post in the topic. Luckily the tactic hasn't worked.

Thomm doesn't toe the company line too well, though - he's calling for two things that BFC has explained away previously, and actually make sense to me.

a) he complains about the inability to place smoke grenades. Actually, I think he's right here - BFC explained this away with reference to their World War II title, saying they weren't used much in 1939-45. They are obviously used much more today. However,

b) he complains the Syrian squad can't be split. Steve has said this is a tactical drawback. I think Steve may be right - it does give the Syrians the only real bit of flavour in the game as far as making one squad some sort of differentiation and making them not just a U.S. Army squad wearing different clothes, but actually making them play differently.

Maybe Thomm is only voicing things poorly, however, as I agree conceptually that individuals or pairs should be able to split off from squads to accomplish tasks - either automatically, via the AI (to avoid the need to "babysit" them), or by the player - stuff like scouting (hey, Leto - run up to the steeple and see if you can spot any tanks on the next hill!), or acquiring stuff (Redwolf, run back to the track and grab the Javelin!) - or even just simulating guard duty. This is stuff entire half-squads wouldn't do.

There are some interesting points raised that again highlight the lack of depth to the simulation.

Granularity of the rubble - it's all or nothing at this stage. You get one big gob of it falling in place when you shatter a building. Or not. You don't have small piles, you don't have falling rubble, or stuff that scatters. You can't drive through it, your vehicle drivers always know it is impassable, so you can't get stuck. In real life, a driver won't always know these things - sometimes a couple of two-by-fours and a piece of tin is just garbage, sometimes it is hiding a drop into a cellar. Is this necessary for a game? No, and at this stage in the CMX2 development, it would be chrome to include it, but something to think about. I would expect CM: Normandy to make some improvements going forward though - certainly an improvement to the animation of a collapsing building - even the shock wave of CM:BO was better than what they have now (oops, living in the past again).

Other good stuff in the thread also. They do tend to crop up with astonishing regularity, don't they, these "what are we missing" ones.

Ken hits it on the head quite well as to the whole game. So much goes on under the hood, that you reach the point of just ignoring it, and it's almost like a shell game:

You could probably draw up an entire list of stuff that is in CMX2 that gets bragged up in the literature, but which can be safely ignored since the player has no influence on it, has no need to know about it, and it really doesn't influence the decision making anyway. I mean, the stars in the sky are astrologically accurate, there is allegedly real-world ballistics data in play, the U.S. soldiers have those little computers, etc. but when it comes time to click and click and click in RT, so little of it seems to matter in the decision tree of playing the game it's really just window dressing in the PR campaign of selling the game. At least they didn't mention the rack and pinion steering in the Syrian land rover or the air conditioning in the Humvee...
What do you expect Mike? The game is modeled to appeal to the "don't think, be a dink" gamer crowd. They want pointy and clicky goodness so they can yell out stuff like "Pwned!" and they very much do not want to micromanage, use real tactics or understand how things work... they have cheat codes for all that.

The Roman empire had a good run... just like BFC... but let's face it folks... the Barbarians are at the gates.

Someone hand me my Horn-ed helmet and battleaxe please.

Cheers!

Leto

Kineas

Colonel General
Reaction score
Country
llHungary
[hirr]Leto;1078437 said:
The Roman empire had a good run... just like BFC... but let's face it folks... the Barbarians are at the gates.
This analogy is well worth a clickey :D

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I still spent any significant time posting at BFC, it would be sig material.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This analogy is well worth a clickey :D
That right there, is the only reason for living. Scooping a well deserved clicky!

I'm working hard to entertain folks... clickies are my heroin, the dragon I incessantly chase...

Alright, I am just gonna come out and say it (even though it will most likely ostracize me): I LOVE DA CLICKY!

: )

Cheers!

Leto

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[hirr]Leto;1078437 said:

Someone hand me my Horn-ed helmet and battleaxe please.
Bring me my broadsword...
and clear understanding.