Tactica COW: Artillery (all kinds)

Rastamann

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
We managed to get _8_ posts on the previous Tactica: Aircraft. Can we please get some discussion going on this one? Or maybe we just let the "Artillery Staff Manager" use this asset? :D

How d'y'all use your arty? Offensive/Defensive tactics for ranged arty?

What's the use of AT arty and is AA arty any good on ground troops (yes, I know the Geneva convention doesn't allow this - I suspect we'll all go on trial for War Crimes :devious: )

Cheers

Nuno

Rastamann

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
:thumup:

Thanks General Staff :)hail::hail::hail: ) - Very helpful. I really wish people to keep at these Tactica stuff, though, not just for me (I should know better, since I have been getting my ass kicked for some time now :argh: ), but for a lot of new faces that have been coming up lately and probably don't know about these game mechanics. I will keep on posting requests for tactica - will try and perform those searches though.

Cheers

Nuno

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Originally posted by Rastamann
...since I have been getting my ass kicked for some time now...
You seem to be doing rather well at Mons 14. In fact a win for you here will cost my team the tournament I believe...:cry:

Rastamann

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Tx Gunner and General, but Olicom is delayed again :bored:

6 turns to go, though, so the Tournament should be over pretty quick.

I learned the hard way, but I am learning :cheeky:

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
We managed to get _8_ posts on the previous Tactica: Aircraft. Can we please get some discussion going on this one? Or maybe we just let the "Artillery Staff Manager" use this asset? :D

How d'y'all use your arty? Offensive/Defensive tactics for ranged arty?

What's the use of AT arty and is AA arty any good on ground troops (yes, I know the Geneva convention doesn't allow this - I suspect we'll all go on trial for War Crimes :devious: )

Cheers

Nuno
..as with aircraft, i prefer to allot artillery to attacks rather than use the general "will assist by being in range" option, and always go for an ignore-losses attack if at 30/20% turn left as i know i'l lose the turn, even if the casualties aren't high it helps to knock the enemy stack into re-org..,

..my one bad gaming habit is to always pursue lone artillery units, like a badly trained dog, i just can't resist chasing them..,

Rastamann

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
quoting A White Rabbit
..as with aircraft, i prefer to allot artillery to attacks rather than use the general "will assist by being in range" option, and always go for an ignore-losses attack if at 30/20% turn left as i know i'l lose the turn, even if the casualties aren't high it helps to knock the enemy stack into re-org..,
But by attacking directly won't that prevent the artillery from supporting your positions should you be attacked in your opponent's turn?

I tend to go after lonely arty as well... :nofear:

MikeJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can always switch it back to dig in/tac-loc reserve before the turn ends.

If you happen to get caught with a turn-ending attack with artillery on direct fire... well I think the bigger problem is that your units aren't dug in, not that your artillery won't support them if attacked :).

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll repost one of my old artillery posts:

Artillery is much more effective in support than when bombarding alone. Therefore, whenever possible, always try to add a small sacrificial attacking unit to your bombardment. That way, the artillery will be considered in support of that attacking unit by TOAW, and will cause about an order-of-magnitude more casualties.

I suppose Norm's rational for this effect was that if there were no accompanying ground attack, the defenders could disperse and hunker down much more than if they had to hold off attackers while being bombarded.

In addition, artillery bombarding alone are subject to counter-battery fire, which can be devastating. Supporting artillery are not. That's probably a shortcoming of TOAW, but players need to take advantage of it. You can be sure your opponent will.

Of course, you have to have a unit adjacent to the defending units to take advantage of this. Set its loss limit to minimize losses and the bombardment will probably only expend one round of combat. Also, note that artillery has little effect on armored equipment types. Be sure the defenders are rich in soft targets (squads, guns, transport, etc.) before setting up such an attack. And similarly, since the defenders will probably have their own supporting artillery, the best unit for the ground attack would be one with mostly armored equipment (recon, armor, etc.).

In fact, that last point is a good rule for all attacks. Try not to expose your own infantry squads to enemy supporting artillery by restricting your attacks to your armored units. Save your infantry for defense. Artillery is REALLY good supporting a defense. Of course, this isn't often possible, since armor can be in short supply, but it is what you want to try for. On the other hand, if the defenders are out of range of support, you can feel free to clobber them with your infantry.

That raises another point. It is critical to ascertain the location and status of enemy artillery units when planning your attacks. Small, preliminary attacks can cause supporting artillery to reveal itself. Recon can find them too. Note whether the artillery units are in support mode (reserve or dug-in). If they are, try to knock them out of that mode before proceeding with in-range attacks with infantry. Once retreated or in mobile mode, they are out of support mode.

This raises a final point. Remember that when your turn ends, your artillery will need to be in shape to support your defenders. To do so, they need to be either dug-in or in reserve mode. And they then need to be protected from subsequent enemy ground attacks. That means that late turn attacks should have indirect rather than direct artillery support, because giving direct support risks that the turn will end before you will be able to put them back in a support mode. Then they will be in mobile mode in the defense turn and unable to support the defenders. And it means that they should always be deployed behind able ground units to keep the attackers at arms-length. Allowing your opponent to easily reach your artillery with ground attacks is bad form.

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Originally posted by Bob Cross
I'll repost one of my old artillery posts:

Artillery is much more effective in support than when bombarding alone. Therefore, whenever possible, always try to add a small sacrificial attacking unit to your bombardment. That way, the artillery will be considered in support of that attacking unit by TOAW, and will cause about an order-of-magnitude more casualties.

I.
..true, there seems to be a governor on losses caused by pure artillery fire, about 15% max but artillery alone in the opening rounds can be useful to lift the enemy from any trenches and/or disruption, always useful..,

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines

But by attacking directly won't that prevent the artillery from supporting your positions should you be attacked in your opponent's turn?

I tend to go after lonely arty as well... :nofear:
..artillery stays on the ignore setting but will act in the enemie's turn, aircraft however go to rest, so targeted air-attacks are not a good idea in the closing phases, unless you have a surplus and can have others not directly involved still on combat-support or interdiction..

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Originally posted by a white rabbit

..artillery stays on the ignore setting but will act in the enemie's turn, aircraft however go to rest, so targeted air-attacks are not a good idea in the closing phases, unless you have a surplus and can have others not directly involved still on combat-support or interdiction..
Not my understanding. Which is: if arty goes to direct fire either alone or in support and the turn ends without a chance to dig it in or put it on reserve status (L or T), it won't support defensively on the enemy's turn unless the hex it's in is attacked directly.

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Originally posted by General Staff

Not my understanding. Which is: if arty goes to direct fire either alone or in support and the turn ends without a chance to dig it in or put it on reserve status (L or T), it won't support defensively on the enemy's turn unless the hex it's in is attacked directly.
Your understanding is correct.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is my understanding of artillery:

When placed in L or T reserve the artillery supports all attacks within range at half strength.

When used in direct support of an attack, it does so at full strength, but only for that attack.

When the artillery unit is dug in, it then supports all units within range in the defence.

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Originally posted by a white rabbit

...aircraft however go to rest, so targeted air-attacks are not a good idea in the closing phases, unless you have a surplus and can have others not directly involved still on combat-support or interdiction..
A quick test shows it depends on state prior to targetted assignment. If a plane is on AS before assigned to direct attack a hex (either alone or in support) it will revert to Rest. But if it is on I or CS prior it will EITHER return to that prior state (I or CS) OR go to Rest, depending presumably on a (morale/damage?) check of some sort. The tendency is to rest, so I'd agree if you really need that unit to be on duty during the enemy turn best not to use it in the closing rounds of your turn.

Last edited:

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Bob's post above is as close to being definitive and succinct as any that I've seen. There are a few minor things that are missing, but overall, understanding that post and its implications is the best advice I could give.

General Staff

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Originally posted by tigersqn
When the artillery unit is dug in, it then supports all units within range in the defence.
When Dug in OR on reserve status (either Local or Tactical)... That's consistent with your statement on attack...

Just to be precise- God knows it took me long enough to get the hang of this in the beginning...

Franco

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Loss Settings Effect on Artillery

Does anyone know what effect loss settings have on indirect fire? My understanding is that the artillery will continue to fire as long as there is a direct fire unit engaged and it passes communications check etc. Do loss settings have anything to do with intensity of fire and is there an impact on supply utilization. From what I can see, artillery which is actually applied to support an overrun will use 5% supply. During regular rounds of combat, I think it is 10% of supply regardless of whether the loss setting is minimum, limit or ignore.