TacOpsMC v5 Accepted by USMC

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TacOpsMC v5 was formally accepted for USMC issue by NAVAIR and MARCORSYSCOM on or about 8 March 2004. This is the third military version of TacOps to be acquired by the USMC - TacOpsMC v2 was released in August of 1998 and TacOpsMC v4 in March of 2003.

Some of the differences between TacOpsMC v5 and the retail edition of TacOps v4 are below.

The retail edition is limited to 20 networked computers while in multiplayer teams network mode. The military edition allows more networked computers with the record so far being held by the U.S. Army Armor School at Fort Knox with about 50 stations participating in the same Brigade level exercise via a LAN.

Additional engineering detail and informational displays of interest to combat engineers.

Additional amphibious warfare detail such as the addition of amphibious shipping - US Ship LHA, US Ship LHD, US Ship LPD, US Ship LSD, US Ships Amphibious Task Force, US Ship MPF, and US Ships MPF Squadron.

User modifiable light data and an automatic daily solar cycle. TacOpsMC v5 provides transitions from beginning of morning nautical twilight (BMNT), through beginning of morning civil twilight (BMCT), through sunrise, through sunset, through end of evening civil twilight (EECT), through end of evening nautical twilight (EENT), and then repeating the cycle.

Additional unit icon/marker types such as Heavy Sniper Team, Assault Breaching Vehicle with MCLC, Infantry Casualty, Aircrew (to represent downed aviators), and Aircraft Wreck (to represent downed but not completely destroyed aircraft).

Addition of off map unit holding windows. These windows can be used to represent ships or land based staging areas that are located off map. Units can travel from these windows to an edge of the battle map or from the battle map to these windows.

Addition of six maps of interest to the USMC - 29 Palms West, 29 Palms East, Quantico, Inchon, Camp Pendleton, and Larak Island.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will the retail version have all these changes? What is the possible release date to the public?

Also about how many single player & multiplayer scenarios will come with the game?

Will there still be no ai capability for user made scenarios?

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Will the retail version have all these changes? What is the possible
>release date to the public?

Yes except that the retail version will remain limited to 20 networked players.

Late 2004 - maybe.

>Also about how many single player & multiplayer scenarios will come with
>the game?

The current retail version has 182 scenarios and scenario variants and about 66 maps on the CD. I don't know how many more will end up in v5. That will depend on the success of the new scenario creation tool that I am working on.

>Will there still be no AI capability for user made scenarios?

Adding that capability via new scenario creation tools is mainly what is holding up the release of a retail edition of v5. I worked on it a lot during 2003 (in the background while working for the USMC and the Australian Army) but I am not satisfied with its current state. If I rushed out a retail V5 right now I would be locked into what I think is a poor and user unfriendly approach.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
speaking of the Aussies Major, in TacOps ANZAC v5 done? If so can you gie us a rundown of what's unique to that version? (I'm assuming the IMV, ARH and various other bits.)

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I own Tacops 4 and thought it was a very good product for a great price. I was a little disappointed that user scenarios had no enemy ai, but overall was very satisfied by the product...I still have not played all the single player scenarios.

I would never want to rush an incomplete product to sales as so many publishers do. I would much rather wait for a stable well thought out piece of software anyday, so take your time, get it right. It certainly has me interested, I will definitely look this over when it does hit the market

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
speaking of the Aussies Major, in TacOps ANZAC v5 done? If so can you gie us a rundown of what's unique to that version? (I'm assuming the IMV, ARH and various other bits.)
A semi-finalTacOps ANZAC v5 will be delivered in about a month. Right now it is identical to TacOpsMC v5. There is time for some more Australian items to be added if the necessary information if provided to me (either officially or unofficially).

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
Good to see you over here Major, dont rush that scenario editor, we are perfectly happy to wait for the quality of the new release, just nice to hear there are more goodies in the pipeline, TacOps v5 will be straight on order when it is released!!!

Thanks Major :D