TacOps Tactical Discussion Group #2 - Red Defense

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a thread for the next one.

I suggested one of the small to medium defenses, but exchange equipment to have an American attack and Soviet gear that needs side shots on the M1s for the player.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Repeat of my points in the other thread:

If we want to defend with tanks which need side shots or less than 500 meters, then use:
- AI gets "M1A1" (not "M1A1D")
- We get "Tank, T72M [lQ91]" (not "T72M")

That combo means we shoot the tungsten round at a M1 front which will be defeated only at the shortest range.

Results for non-improved ATGM warheads should be similar.

%%

[Actually the BMP1 is perfect, it's AT3 needs shide shots on that M1]

%%

On the smaller maps we should also restrict the radius of Blue artillery adjustments (and airstrikes).

That will help the AI a big deal and also extra-reward good fire support planning.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dump from previous thread...

Team Meyers - Possible

Team Meyers is a 60 minute, small map battle.

Suggestions so far; cut visibility to 2000m, replace Blue tanks with T-72M, replace Red Tanks with M1A1, use non-improved ATGMs, restrict Blue adjustment radius for air and arty.

T/O&E:

Blue
1x Tank Co (T-72M)
1x Mech Co (Brads - do we want to alter these? Have TOW's)
2x M106 Mortars
3x 155mm OBA
3x F16
No chance for additional support

Red
1x MRB (BTR) (Alter?)
1x Tank Co (M1A1)
1x AT Plt (Alter? - make TOW's?)
1x ZSU-23-4
1x 122mm SPA
2x 152mm OBA
1x 122mm MLRS
2x MiG-27
No chance for additional support.

Suggestions/Comments

Are we to add attack/scout helos, if so which types? Transport helos? Most of the force is meched up, don't really see the need unless separating the dismounts from the Brads.

I'll have to experiment with the radii, etc tonight.

Your comments please.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In addition to what I posted in Msg#3, John mentioned changing Blue Bradley's to BMP-1's and Red BTR's to Strykers.

Are we adding helo's - if so which type and quantity?

We should agree upon, before the file is set, preferences and any other variables.

Comments please...

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Team Meyers is on a too small map.

Obviously no helos on that small a map.

The point of this particular exercise would be that you have to maneuver to get the flank shots. We need a bit more space for that.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What about Team Kelly 1 (with BTRs)?

I don't think there are AI-enabled scenarios on map 15 with less than a regiment attacking :( Let me think some more. There must be some medium map scenario with only a reinforced battalion attacking?

I am still recovering from my double disk crash and can't efficiently look anything up. New disks on order. All these problems you use your computer to solve that you wouldn't have without the computer in first place.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Redwolf said:

I don't think there are AI-enabled scenarios on map 15 with less than a regiment attacking :( Let me think some more. There must be some medium map scenario with only a reinforced battalion attacking? . . .
Tm Kelly? With WP equipment? Are you MAD :surprise: ???

I'll say this for you, it would be a challenge just seeing who lasts the longest! Part of the logistics plan should include pre-stocking body-bags. :laugh:

Last edited:

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Redwolf said:

I don't think there are AI-enabled scenarios on map 15 with less than a regiment attacking :( Let me think some more. There must be some medium map scenario with only a reinforced battalion attacking?

I am still recovering from my double disk crash and can't efficiently look anything up. New disks on order. All these problems you use your computer to solve that you wouldn't have without the computer in first place.
Martin, I'm calling it a night after doing some testing with Team Meyers. I'm open to a larger map/different scenario.

Some things I learned while toying around:

I was able to use the Change Units & Weapons dialogue in the Umpire Tools to change the tanks and APC's as discussed.

I had trouble finding a match for the M901 and M2 (I was hoping for a BRDM-2 AT, but there was no AT variant listed).

Need a replacement weapon for Javelin (AT-7 Saxhorn - guess?).

Need to determine how to alter (change) off-map delayed-entry forces.

Did not see the ability to alter/restrict the degree of changing the adjustment radii for arty/indirect fire. In "Change Artillery Support" only saw changing min/max seconds between adjustment, impact, salvoes, and shift.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, lets get creative. Take TF Anderson, do the equipment swap as previously discussed, change the entry time for blue to 08:05 so the reinforcements never show up. You now have a reinforced Battalion attacking the town so you can defend it.

Place the blue OOB along the road near the objective. Players can magic-move them into position. Allow blue to set up anywhere west of the 11 easting line.

Or do Team Savage, same general principle.

Last edited:

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MajorH said:
OP ATGMV BRDM2 Spandrel is in the data base.
It was late when I gave up looking, or at least late in my world. A disconnect between brain, eyes, and fingers on the keyboard had set in. ;)

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GCoyote said:
Okay, lets get creative. Take TF Anderson, do the equipment swap as previously discussed, change the entry time for blue to 08:05 so the reinforcements never show up. You now have a reinforced Battalion attacking the town so you can defend it.

Place the blue OOB along the road near the objective. Players can magic-move them into position. Allow blue to set up anywhere west of the 11 easting line.

Not certain if it applies to the two scenarios that you list above, but...Is there a way to change unit/equipment on units who are scheduled to arrive after the set up of the scenario?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pmaidhof said:
Not certain if it applies to the two scenarios that you list above, but...Is there a way to change unit/equipment on units who are scheduled to arrive after the set up of the scenario?
I can't test it right now but I am reasonably sure that if you use the "change equipment" functionality it applies to all units on map and scheduled reinforcements as well.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pmaidhof said:
Is there a way to change unit/equipment on units who are scheduled to arrive after the set up of the scenario?
Use the "Options/Change Unit & Weapons" menu item.

See the attached turn one, saved game file for Task Force Gallagher 4. I swapped and changed Blue and Red equipment. using the "Options/Change Unit & Weapons" menu item, the "Options/Change Air Support" menu item, and the "Options/Change Artillery Support" menu item. The changes to Red worked for the off map Red units.

Blue T80s and BTR80s vs Red M1A1Ds and Strykers.

Last edited:

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GCoyote said:

Though out-of-the-box, TF Anderson is a meeting engagement, are you suggesting that we tweak it to have the Blue force defend from 11 Eastings westward? Also, in the scenario guide, I do not see Opfor having reinforcements - looks like reinforce bn vs reinforced bn staight up.

We can exchange both sides LAV's to BTR's, M1A1D's to T72M's. We will have to take a close look at the LAV Bn for variant vehicles such as AT, Mortar, etc.

Any other suggestions? Do we need to tweak the fire support?

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Redwolf said:
I can't test it right now but I am reasonably sure that if you use the "change equipment" functionality it applies to all units on map and scheduled reinforcements as well.
Just tested, you can change the entry times of off board "scheduled" units.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TF Anderson - Proposal

Out of the box, this is Bn(+) vs Bn(+)

Blue Mission - Magic Move on 0700/0701 to not beyond 11 Easting, defend in zone, Objective A, and prevent enemy moving off the western map edge.

Blue units change; from Bradley's to BMP1's, from M1A1D's to T72M (IQ91), from LUV+TOW to BRDM2+Spandrel, all else the same.

Red Mission - Enter 0701 East Edge. Occupy Obj A, exit off western map edge.

Red units change; from BTR's to Bradley, From "Tank" to M1A1D's, from BRDM2+Spandrel to LUV+TOW, all else same.

Any additional units?

Have not figured out how to change indirect fire radii - Possible?

Suggestions please.

All for now.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pmaidhof said:
Out of the box, this is Bn(+) vs Bn(+)

Blue Mission - Magic Move on 0700/0701 to not beyond 11 Easting, defend in zone, Objective A, and prevent enemy moving off the western map edge.

Blue units change; from Bradley's to BMP1's, from M1A1D's to T72M (IQ91), from LUV+TOW to BRDM2+Spandrel, all else the same.

Red Mission - Enter 0701 East Edge. Occupy Obj A, exit off western map edge.

Red units change; from BTR's to Bradley, From "Tank" to M1A1D's, from BRDM2+Spandrel to LUV+TOW, all else same.

Any additional units?

Suggestions please.
Would it be easier to simply delete all of the factory default Blue units and import an MRB+ OOB using the Umpire Tools?

My only other suggestion is to knock the blue off map artillery from 155mm down to 152mm or possibly even 122mm which is much less effective.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pmaidhof said:
The Change Units and Weapons tool will affect units already added to the scenario including delayed arrival units.

However, you can add more units from the Add Optional Units menu and they will be added with their factory default equipment type.

So for example you can change all of the tanks in a scenario from T80 to T72. If you then add an optional tank Bn from the Add Optional Units menu it will stillhave T80s.