T8.0 Gun Emplacements

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I am not clear on the wording of this section of the BRT rules...

Are the 8inch Guns for this emplacment inherent or must they be purchased during setup for use in these mounts?

Also can 8inch Guns be purchsed as 'stand-alones' or can they only be used in the emplacements?

da priest

Reaction score
[size=-1]Q. Per T8.1 & T15.6141 do the CG automatically begin with two 8-in. Guns? May the Japanese purchase an additional two 8-in. Guns?[/size][size=-1]A. Yes to both.(J2)[/size]

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Legion,

Don't worry too much about the big guns. Max out your purchases of the smaller 37* inf and hordes of mortars and machine guns. :ar15: Slaughter the marines in the water and you will win. It is possible, with all those RoF 2 and 3 weapons to completely annihilate the first 3 battalions on "day 1" so that no one makes it ashore. :nofear:

After that,....it's just a matter of mopping up. :D

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Purist said:
Max out your purchases of the smaller 37* inf and hordes of mortars and machine guns. :ar15:
Let me just say that NEVER have i been so happy to have a 37* or 37L AT. When was the last time you played a CG and bought a 37* INF instead of a 75L AA!

I have been looking for a good AAR that states the initial Japanese setups but none go into the kind of anal detail that i require - needless to say my AAR will! :nuts:

I dont intend to play this until the ABtF CGIII is over and even then i am sure JP will want to practice Beach landings (hopefully he wont get that far!) in a few scenarios first. Must say i am looking forward to it! Have got the whole map out and ALL the counters - so very many counters

Last edited:

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
da priest said:
[size=-1]Q. Per T8.1 & T15.6141 do the CG automatically begin with two 8-in. Guns? May the Japanese purchase an additional two 8-in. Guns?[/size][size=-1]A. Yes to both.(J2)[/size]
Thanks Priest, when you say J2 i assume you are refering to Journal 2?

I am not sure about the buying of these heavies, i know i will need some counterbattery fire though...

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From my experience...

The 8" cupolas are amazingly vulnerable to the Marine FB'44 air support. If you go through the TK numbers, against aerial AF, open-topped, etc, the final TK number is about an 8. One Corsair strafed both 8" cupolas into oblivion in one pass.

If you really want to modify the NOBA chit piles, buy the 140L or 120L guns and put them in trenches. Much more survivable. But I found the air support to cause more havoc for the Japanese than the NOBA. Just ask the smoking wrecks of my HA-GO's...

If the Japanese defend the pier area to the max, with wire/tetrahedrons to force the Marines in Red Two/Three to diverge, the Marines are in trouble.

Phil Palmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Purist said:
Legion,

Don't worry too much about the big guns. Max out your purchases of the smaller 37* inf and hordes of mortars and machine guns. :ar15: Slaughter the marines in the water and you will win. It is possible, with all those RoF 2 and 3 weapons to completely annihilate the first 3 battalions on "day 1" so that no one makes it ashore. :nofear:
But here's the problem with the 37*'s. They are not "GUNS" since they are not 5/8" counters, so they don't gain acquisition. And the TK numbers are pretty lousy, even vs a LVT----starts at a 7, lowered by 1 IIRC for shooting into the water. And if you try shooting at >12 hexes, just forget it: start with a TH#=7, lowered by 3 for *, <57mm, and <40mm.
I thought the 75AA's were the best bang for the buck, although found the 37L's quite adequate.
One comment on the 8-inch guns---they are very vunerable to fire from
AFVs. They can be hit very easily and are not thick skinned (AF=3 I think).
So keep them out of sight from the water!!!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
"But here's the problem with the 37*'s. They are not "GUNS" since they are not 5/8" counters, so they don't gain acquisition. And the TK numbers are pretty lousy, even vs a LVT----starts at a 7, lowered by 1 IIRC for shooting into the water..."

But!!! The firing ranges are usually 12 hexes or less and the TK is a 7 vs a 0 AF,...the firing should go something like this:

BANG!...BANG-TINK,...BANG-TINK,...BANG-BOOOOOM!

next target:

BANG-TINK, BANG-BOOOOOOM!!!

next 37:

BANG!,...BANG-BOOOOOOM!,...BANG-BOOOOOM!!!! BANG!,...BANG-BOOOOM!!

This is only 2 37s of a possible <insert your selection here> allowed. Fire all during the D1F, add your mortars,...gently fold in your MGs. Don't worry about 'sniper spilage' your ingredients could care less.

Beat approaches vigorously until water is frothy and lead saturated. Repeat during your Prep Fire. Cook for 3 to 4 turns.

Voila! Amtrak Flambe with a side of Marine Pate!

Bonne Apetite

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Purist said:
Fire all during the D1F, add your mortars,...gently fold in your MGs. Don't worry about 'sniper spilage' your ingredients could care less.
Beat approaches vigorously until water is frothy and lead saturated. Repeat during your Prep Fire. Cook for 3 to 4 turns.
Voila! Amtrak Flambe with a side of Marine Pate!
Bonne Apetite
Hmmm... dont that get the mouth watering...
:toast:
My question is that the only MTRs available are the 50mm Lt MTRs, is that so or am i missing a page in my book?
:OHNO:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The Purist said:
Bonne Apetite
En français : "Bon appétit!" (appétit is masculine and one does not pronounce the last "t", but the "bon", though masculine, is pronounced as a feminine - to link with the coming vowel, thus : bon' apeyti). Pfff, at last a rule question I can answer correctly!:laugh:

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Robin said:
En français : "Bon appétit!" (appétit is masculine and one does not pronounce the last "t", but the "bon", though masculine, is pronounced as a feminine - to link with the coming vowel, thus : bon' apeyti). Pfff, at last a rule question I can answer correctly!:laugh:
Hey i have enough trouble understanding the German speaking Swiss, how do i know you speak the truth! :devious:

:clown:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Legion said:
how do i know you speak the truth! :devious:
Yes, how do you know ? :devil:
Besides, I am a French speaking Swiss (half British, also).
Are you an English speaking Australian, or are you rather an Australian speaking Australian?:p:laugh:

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Personally i think we should all speak Japanese... though i will speak German if forced; Englsh is my last choice - though certainly i would speak the Queen's Australian when pressed!
:alien:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
"My question is that the only MTRs available are the 50mm Lt MTRs, is that so or am i missing a page in my book?"

Even your light mortars can be very effective against the amtraks. Your DRM are: -1 for OT, -1 all AF 4 or less,...on the IIFT (you do use the IIFT, don't you?)you get a positive result on a final DR of 5 or less.

"though certainly i would speak the Queen's Australian when pressed!"

:laugh: "Queen's Australian" :laugh: Too funny!!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Vile, vile human!!! :scream:

Ok,...it makes no difference to me if you want to use the SL table instead of the ASL table. Nope, no difference at all. Could care less. A judgement call,...a poor one but still. :whist:

By the way,...did you notice the link to the latest version of the "ASL table." :D

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Personally I like the 37Ls far more than the 37*'s, primarily because of acquistion and killing power.

For each red beach I like 3x37Ls 2x75AA, 1x120L and 4x.50cal HMGs. I like the bigger calibre guns because you have a better chance to burn the LVTs. They have a cs7 so unless you burn the LVTs, half the passengers live.

I much prefer the .50cals as they are B12 as opposed to B11 for the HMGs.

I prefer to use the 50mm MTRs for smoke and WP and to target marines that make it to the beach (hard sand). Hitting a moving target with the mortars is too difficult to be worth it.

The gun turrets are fragile as explained. The 120Ls and 140Ls are worth more.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Purist said:
By the way,...did you notice the link to the latest version of the "ASL table." :D
Yes and am currently whipping myself with a birch branch to cleanse myself of the horror. :kotz:

I hope GW Bush will do something about this (i suggest limited use of tac-nukes etc)
:horse:

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
AdrianE said:
For each red beach I like 3x37Ls 2x75AA, 1x120L and 4x.50cal HMGs.
Yes i maxed out on the 75AA, the 12.7AA and the 37LAT... they should be able to handle most anything and even help out a little with the aircraft problems.

I have also bought all the 140L and 120L but put them further back from the beach (except on Red 3) just in case he does manage to get some infantry and AFVs past the beach!