T-34 The Movie

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Picked up this one on DVD a few weeks ago. Agree on the first battle sequence. Overall a much better movie than I anticipated, and while some of the tactics/engagements had a bit of a "Fast and Furious" feel to them, they were still pretty well done.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you get what you paid for?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Do you get what you paid for?
I have currently a problem in that I find it hard to concentrate on something more than 15 minutes or so. In addition I, like many here, know too much about equipment and tactics and get distracted by anachronistic vehicles and weapons. So I struggled with this film, like everything else I viewed over the past year or so. I am not one to give a useful critical appraisal, sorry.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's cool, I was just ripping on the "free" aspect. Personally, I don't like my war movies with all the "bullet-time" crap.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Understood about the free aspect. I can take it (b-t) or leave it. Bullet-time which achieved prominence in the Matrix series has earlier origins, anyone remember the TV Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman and Kung Fu which all used slow motion sequences very regularly. So b-t is now just another cinematic technique. It can work well or just distract and/or annoy. A real participant in a traumatic event can report that time slowed down or speeded up for them, so b-t can be quite appropriate.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Absolutely, when you're talking about the various cinematic techniques to show the psychological stresses, like muffled sound, bright lights, out of focus, etc. I'm just tired of all the shells slowing down when they leave the barrel, speeding up again, slowing down just before impact, speeding up again. It starts to give me a headache after awhile. I'm not a big fan of all the lazy ultra-fast jump cuts either, but that's another story.