T 34 Movie (2019)

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
this movie was on SBS the other week. Awesome movie, despite sub titles. The tank action and battle scenes were epic.

(from wiki)
T-34 (Russian: Т-34) is a 2019 Russian war film directed by Aleksey Sidorov. The title references the T-34, a World War II-era Soviet medium tank used during the defense of the Soviet Union. The film narrates the life of Nikolai Ivushkin, a tank commander who gets captured by the Nazis. Three years later, he begins to plan his ultimate escape, alongside his newly-recruited tank crew.[3][4] It stars Alexander Petrovas Nikolay Ivushkin, with Viktor Dobronravov, Irina Starshenbaum, Anton Bogdanov, Yuriy Borisov, Semyon Treskunov and Artyom Bystrov.[5][6][7]
T-34 was released in Russia by Central Partnership on January 1, 2019 and for hire converted into IMAXformat. The film was released to generally positive reviews,[8] with critics praising the production quality and visual effects.[9][10] It was successful commercially, grossing 2.2 billion rubles (about $32 million), against a production budget of 600 million rubles, after a week in cinemas. It is in second place on Russia's biggest blockbusters list with over 8.5 million viewers and 2 billion rubles, and is currently the second-highest grossing Russian film of all time, behind Going Vertical.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
What's the problem with the subtitles? Or is it just that you don't like subtitles in movies?

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi

my 2 cents is - I loved it and purchased a dvd where the English was dubbed in so you don't have to do subtitles

Its first part is so cool with real Panzer stuff!! - not sure how good that T34 was but it was rolling snakes every time (took two tanks with one shot if that is possible!)

The second part is a bit more complicated - they seem to never run out of ammo though the number of shells they hid and buried to use later is a bit suspicious

cheers

Rob :)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I prefer the subtitles myself. Dubbing losing the tone, inflection and general gravitas of the original actors. I tend to watch English movies with subtitles on as well, this way you don't miss a word (especially when accents are involved).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I prefer the subtitles myself. Dubbing losing the tone, inflection and general gravitas of the original actors. I tend to watch English movies with subtitles on as well, this way you don't miss a word (especially when accents are involved).
I used to watch English movies on Arabic TV with subtitles but couldn't make heads or tails about it (I don't read Arabic other than a couple of words).:unsure:o_O;)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Yes that's something I like as well; I watch everything in its original language, with subtitles when not in French. English subtitles when the original is in English, otherwise French (my wife and I were studying Spanish a few years back, and we watched a Pedro Almodovar with Spanish subtitles once, but I lost a lot in the process - I'm only fluent enough in English, my Spanish is clearly insufficient for it).

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The plot was beyond ludicrous. I won't spoil it but its really really rediculous.

The 1941 battle scene was fantastic. The other combat scenes were great as well.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The plot was beyond ludicrous. I won't spoil it but its really really rediculous.
This is why I hardly watch any movies any more. They are all action and explosions (even where this is hardly tolerable, much less convincing) but on the other hand completely bereft of any meaningful story. Basically nothing more than a succession of vignettes of a few seconds lined up one after the other. Meh!

I rather stay with books.
Better fare, longer enjoyment, and can nowadays usually compete with the price of going to the movies.

von Marwitz

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I keep getting recommendations for this one, I guess I will have to watch it, but based on the comments here, probably won't like it?

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
i found it very ASL motivational. The tank, the infantry, the guns, the tactics.

I'll admit, perhaps one (maybe two) bits of the story line were questionable and maybe difficult to believe. But in the end i found this a great WWII movie. The action was different from "western" type movies. And in a world where we are asked to suspend belief so often, i'll forgive the 2 story line quirks. A reasonable short movie too from memory.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'll admit, perhaps one (maybe two) bits of the story line were questionable and maybe difficult to believe.
This was funny... 🤣

On the other hand, as proved by most current events in the US, people are capable of believing even the most absurd 'stories' bereft of any evidence or even contrary to such. In case of a movie, this does not really matter...

von Marwitz

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I approach most war movies with skepticism based upon my history of watching previous ones.

The type of movie that would excite us hardcore ASL types, would probably bore and/or horrify the general Netflix watcher.

I thought T34 was better than watching the umpteen remake of "Sleepless in Seattle", but I thought it was just another contrived war movie with one shell going through two tanks...