Syfy plans to lure you back with these 5 shows

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting article here:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/28/syfy/

Syfy knows they messed up. Now they have a plan to win you back.

The cable network’s top executives won’t say this in such blunt language, but they acknowledge that somewhere along the line, the network missed an opportunity to have more great scripted dramas. It happened sometime after the name change from Sci Fi Channel to Syfy and the conclusion of Battlestar Galactica—the acclaimed series that was once mentioned by critics alongside titles like Mad Men and The Sopranos as representing TV’s top-tier of storytelling.

“We saw an explosion of sci-fi/fantasy content across every cable and broadcast network out there,” said Syfy president Dave Howe. “Perceptions of the genre have shifted dramatically. What that speaks to is an opportunity to re-own the genre and be at the forefront of high-end buzzy, provocative storytelling — and the epiphany of that was Battlestar.”

But the two titles to really watch out for are space operas. The first is Ascension, a mini-series premiering in December starring Tricia Helfer (Battlestar again), about a space ark launched in the 1960s. The production includes a massive set that is four stories high. The second is The Expanse, based on James S.A. Corey‘s rollicking bestsellerLeviathan Wakes, which is aiming to be the next great Star Trek/Firefly/Farscape space dramas. “It’s probably one of the best scripts I’ve read in the last three to five years,” Howe said of The Expanse pilot. “We fought off a lot of competitors to get it.”

BILL MCGOLDRICK: "In terms of where it was before with original content and some of the series that were on the air, maybe they were more procedural, more lighthearted in tone—and by the way, those shows worked really well for a long time. I’m referring to the Warehouses and the Eurekas. What we have in development now is more of a serious tone, more back to our roots. You’ve seen and probably heard about our desire to get back up to space. We have a couple really big shows that are trying to accomplish that—Ascension, The Expanse in particular, which play more toward I think the harder core sci-fi fan who used to be perceived as niche but is now mainstream and commercial in a way they have never been before. That’s what we’re trying to accomplish."
This sounds like exactly what the doctor ordered! While I was never a big fan of the Battlestar reboot - I found it more than silly at times, something that really grated against its hardcore presentation - I did admire the attempt. If they can make some similar shows, but without the "General Hospital in space" histrionics, I will be very pleased. I am particularly interested in The Expanse adaptation. I've heard nothing but good things about that series (and I intend to read the first book ASAP!).

God speed, SyFy! Sounds like you have a plan!

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About damned time!! And I agree, I've heard nothing but good things about Leviathan Wakes, nearly picked up the book a few times myself. I haven't had a chance to watch Falling Skies and I missed that android detective show that came out earlier this year with Karl Urban. However, I would like to definitely see more space opera-type shows but I hope they don't go heavy on the drama and still include some light moments. Everything seems to be going for the more gritty stuff but sometimes light humor never hurts. (That is my own perception of course lol.)

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At the same time these *******s have pulled BSG from Netflix streaming.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The BS reboot was some of the best television ever made. Expertly executed. You're mad :p

Either way, SyFy was a channel I never thought anything of, but some of the stuff I've seen from it (including BSG) has been top notch of late.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The BS reboot was some of the best television ever made. Expertly executed. You're mad :p
Yeah, I get that a lot. :D I don't know what it is, but BSG is just one of those shows that I want to like but I can't stand once I watch a single episode. I keeping queuing it up on Amazon but never get past the second season. :laugh:

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BSG really was excellent Scott - try and give it another shot.

Will they change their name back to Sci Fi from the meaningless confluence of letters they have now? That would be a nice first start. Man - was I pissed when I first heard of that decision.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BSG really was excellent Scott - try and give it another shot.

Will they change their name back to Sci Fi from the meaningless confluence of letters they have now? That would be a nice first start. Man - was I pissed when I first heard of that decision.
Hah. You cannot seriously expect that they actually correct their past actions based on finding them wrong.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
BSG was cool but it already feels kind of retro. A very Iraq-era show. They did have a lot of good ideas and seeing actual military sci fi was refreshing.