Sword and Fire Cover Artwork released

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(Might also be that MMP don't want to have dying charaters pictured on the box - it's OK to show soldiers, it's a wargame after all; but the real result of war, people dying, is maybe a little less OK...)
I've been told that Hasbro kinda frowns on depictions of dead/dying people in the artwork.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just remember, it was over 12 months or more after Pearl Harbor before any pictures of American KIAs appeared in either newspapers
or magazines (Time or Life). The authorities did not want to upset the civilian population with graphic pictures of 'our boys' dying.
President Roosevelt asked Robert Sherrod after Sherrod returned stateside from the Tarawa operation, if the strict guidelines for
pictures showing casualties should be relaxed. Sherrod feeling that the home front was ignorant of what the Pacific theater was like,
told him that the guidelines should be relaxed.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just remember, it was over 12 months or more after Pearl Harbor before any pictures of American KIAs appeared in either newspapers
or magazines (Time or Life). The authorities did not want to upset the civilian population with graphic pictures of 'our boys' dying.
President Roosevelt asked Robert Sherrod after Sherrod returned stateside from the Tarawa operation, if the strict guidelines for
pictures showing casualties should be relaxed. Sherrod feeling that the home front was ignorant of what the Pacific theater was like,
told him that the guidelines should be relaxed.
I thought the first photos of US dead were from Buna in Jan 1943. Do I have that wrong? Or were their release just delayed until after the Tarawa images?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought the first photos of US dead were from Buna in Jan 1943. Do I have that wrong? Or were their release just delayed until after the Tarawa images?
I believe you are correct & when MacArthur heard about it he essentially had the reporter put on probation for releasing the images without going through his HQ first.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I found out that there are no monster scenarios in this module which is a shame. But with three smaller CGs included (plus two big ones) I think I will be happy enough. Playing through one of the smaller CGs will satisfy my desire for an immersive experience without taking forever.