Swimming allowed by default? ASL115 "Huns of Steel" in particular

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Basically, can cavalry swim in this scenario?

A21.41 FORDING: Fording may be attempted by Infantry/Cavalry only in river hexes defined as both fordable and non-frigid. Pushing motorcycles/Guns is not allowed while fording. Entrance of such a hex costs the unit's entire MF allotment and is considered Hazardous Movement for as long as the unit is in that hex. There is no penalty for leaving a Water Obstacle hex other than the doubling of MF for each higher elevation entered [EXC: Abrupt Elevation Change; 10.5]. Fording units may not move upstream directly against a heavy current. Fording units are immune to Pin effects. A Water Obstacle cannot be entered (via fording) during the APh, but can be left in the APh. Mortars, MMG, and HMG must be dm to be portaged by fording Infantry/Cavalry.

E6.5 CAVALRY: Cavalry may swim using the same rules with the following exceptions: Cavalry do not require a TC to attempt to swim, are not represented as Unarmed units, retain their full CC FP but cannot otherwise fire, cannot enter the water from a Location that would require a MC, and cannot use rafting. Cavalry may carry up to their IPC while swimming.

I guess is E6 optional or is it always 'enabled' but most importantly, is this scenario meant to allow horses to swim?

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know how this would affect things, but the picture on the actual card does have cavalry going through a river. :)

And sorry for not posting this in the rules section. Perhaps the mods can help me pack it up and move it to the proper place.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anything in E is optional. The whole Chapter. So unless specifically directed by SSR or agreed upon by the players involved, it is not in effect. See also E.1.

buser333

Reaction score
I don't know how this would affect things, but the picture on the actual card does have cavalry going through a river. :)

And sorry for not posting this in the rules section. Perhaps the mods can help me pack it up and move it to the proper place.
They must be using the Pontoon Bridges? If not that is a poor choice of photos. A particular pet peeve of mine is scenario descriptions and aftermaths that describe one thing and allow no such similar actions during gameplay, or where the game plays out (in a typical playing session) completely different than what is described.