Swedish Volunteers need help! VASL question.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, they will be fine if I can just figure out what to do with the image files. I downloaded the files and dropped the unzipped "sv" folder into my images files, but I don't see Swedes (Axis or Allied) when I try to pull up troops. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but don't know what it is. Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks in advance!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Well, they will be fine if I can just figure out what to do with the image files. I downloaded the files and dropped the unzipped "sv" folder into my images files, but I don't see Swedes (Axis or Allied) when I try to pull up troops. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but don't know what it is. Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks in advance!
I assume you downloaded and extracted a file called 5SV.mdx from vasl.info/download.htm. The root of the archive contains a file called "5SV_mdx_readme.txt." When you find that, you know you are in the place where the root of the archive extracted itself. Under the root of the archive is an "images" folder, and under that is an "sv" folder. In the sv folder there are a bunch of images (e.g. sv237H.gif) and one directory, "gun". The sv237H.gif is the image of a second line halfsquad. I am guessing the other images are not.

JR

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've got the folder, and I think it's in the right location. I followed the instructions at http://vasl.info/install/install.html but I must have made a mistake somewhere. Here's the path to my folder:
C:\Users\jfardette\Desktop\VASSAL\VASL Files\VASLv633\ASL Extensions\sv
They appear to be where they are supposed to be, but when I start vasl I can't see them for either side.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I've got the folder, and I think it's in the right location. I followed the instructions at http://vasl.info/install/install.html but I must have made a mistake somewhere. Here's the path to my folder:
C:\Users\jfardette\Desktop\VASSAL\VASL Files\VASLv633\ASL Extensions\sv
They appear to be where they are supposed to be, but when I start vasl I can't see them for either side.
View attachment 10251
I misunderstood what you are trying to do. You are trying to install the extension. Don't unzip it. Put the .mdx file (unzipped and still named .mdx) somewhere. In your vassal (not vasl) window, select the VASL module then right-click, Add Extension..., browse to and "open" the .mdx file. This installs the module. Right-click, open module. The swedes are in the allied counter menu.

JR

Last edited:

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I followed your instructions. The extension now shows up in Vassal as so:

However, when I open VASL and try to start a new game, I still don't see those stealthy Swedes...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I followed your instructions. The extension now shows up in Vassal as so:

View attachment 10252

However, when I open VASL and try to start a new game, I still don't see those stealthy Swedes...
Why does it have a .zip extension? Leave it named .mdx, as you downloaded it. Remove that one and install it with the name .mdx only.

JR

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It wouldn't let me add the unzipped folder. The folder is named 5SV.mdx, but it's a folder and not a file. Am I supposed to add a file inside the unzipped folder, such as the build file?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It wouldn't let me add the unzipped folder. The folder is named 5SV.mdx, but it's a folder and not a file. Am I supposed to add a file inside the unzipped folder, such as the build file?
Not the folder. The file. When you download from http://vasl.info/extensions.htm, you should get a file named 5SV.mdx. Get rid of the folder and re-download the file. It should not download as a .zip file. Do not rename it. Install it as it is.

Note this is different than the way the boards download (before auto-download, of course). The boards download in .zip files that you have to unzip. The .mdx and .vmdx files download ready to be installed as-is.

JR

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no installing, just copy and paste into your extension folder. Re-start any VASL file and you should then see it under the Allied tab.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There is no installing, just copy and paste into your extension folder. Re-start any VASL file and you should then see it under the Allied tab.
I have always installed as per my instructions. If you are right that may not be necessary, but that's how I have always done it. It may be that all the install does is move the .vmdx or .mdx file to your extensions directory. In any case the file cannot have a .zip extension.

JR

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, somewhere in the messing around with this, I redownloaded the extension and was able to get it to work following JR's instructions. I probably messed something else up, but for now I can see Swedes. Thanks for the help!