Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Dunno. I am conservative with this. Black outlines as all others have and some color. Maybe French blue with a Japanese yellow border.

Then, they *might* even double for something PTO if need be.

von Marwitz
Black SS have white outlines and a dark (i.e. black) background.
So my idea could also be considered "conservative".

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Ah, I forgot about those as I have never used them preferring one color for German units.

von Marwitz
Putting aside the controversy about the black SS, white figures on a black background are not very aesthetic nor readable : they give the impression that you are looking to a negative photography.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Or perhaps more simply, have different sets of colours after their different involvements : Allied Minor, Finnish, ...

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I know the uniforms are wrong - just "proof of concept".
View attachment 3092
Agree with your method.

The border thing should remain functional as it is now - there's a reason Chinese have the Russian border, likewise the Hungarians.

Graphically I think the shade of blue might need to be not as deep to get the "field blue" of Swedish Flag. The gold is a little duller, more flat also:Flag_of_Sweden.png

Here's a thought also for the border method: Minor Axis neutral border, "field blue" interior with either above gold numbers, troop outline or just black. Expect MMP wouldn't go the fancier BFP troop outlines like you show. I like the minors border-field blue interior-gold troops/numbers idea - would make them the most colorful counters on the map. Way cooler than black SS counter certainly :) . Am sure Mattias and Klas would agree - Eller hur pojkar?

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
German Blue edge, Swedish blue interior, standard black figures and numbers, Swedish flag in top right corner of the counter. This was done with many other counters in the system to represent Division, Nationality, or even Elan. The British para infantry counters are a one of a kind in the system with their Pegasus symbol. Festung Budapest has many more such marked counters as do other MMP Historical Modules. This would be a great addition to the system as would the Spanish. A Flag in the corner can fix a lot.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
German Blue edge, Swedish blue interior, standard black figures and numbers, Swedish flag in top right corner of the counter. This was done with many other counters in the system to represent Division, Nationality, or even Elan. The British para infantry counters are a one of a kind in the system with their Pegasus symbol. Festung Budapest has many more such marked counters as do other MMP Historical Modules. This would be a great addition to the system as would the Spanish. A Flag in the corner can fix a lot.
SV vs Germans in Norway
Swedish MA 457.png

SV vs Soviets in Finland
Swedish FI 457.png

<scribbles from long ago...>
SCW Nationalist ideas
Nationalist samples.png

SCW Republican ideas
Republican samples.png

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
German Blue edge, Swedish blue interior, standard black figures and numbers, Swedish flag in top right corner of the counter. This was done with many other counters in the system to represent Division, Nationality, or even Elan. The British para infantry counters are a one of a kind in the system with their Pegasus symbol. Festung Budapest has many more such marked counters as do other MMP Historica
l Modules. This would be a great addition to the system as would the Spanish. A Flag in the corner can fix a lot.
Maybe easiest for MMP would be take Hungarian and make letters-figs Swede gold, then put Swede gold 3 crowns shield in upper corner. For SCW use crest/symbol of sides rather than flag.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe easiest for MMP would be take Hungarian and make letters-figs Swede gold, then put Swede gold 3 crowns shield in upper corner. For SCW use crest/symbol of sides rather than flag.
For SCW perhaps use the tail markings of the Nationalist and Republican air forces

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Using insignia to differentiate special units within a nationality are fine, but different nationalities need different counter colours IMO.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Using insignia to differentiate special units within a nationality are fine, but different nationalities need different counter colours IMO.
If they are going to have radically different unit characteristics than associated units (e.g.not the same as Finnish or Allied Minors, etc.), then yes, perhaps they deserve their own counter set and distinctive color (colour) scheme. However, with such a small impact within the overall application to WW-II combat represented in ASL, I do not this is a viable approach. I have often thought that Polish & Belgians (probably), were more justified in having their own color scheme and perhaps even a few radically different unit counters predicated upon their use of the BAR at squad level. However, having said as much, their relatively brief time in combat in WW-II, and comparatively limited impact vis-s-vis potential or given ASL scenario development, the use of standard Allied Minor counters to represent their forces seems somewhat justified as well (not to disparage BFP's welcome approach from a purely aesthetic point of view). Perhaps a TPP product using differing color schemes is the best approach after all. JMHO.