Sustained fire in Prep Fire Phase

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can an AA gun with an IFE that exhausts ROF in the prep fire phase, use sustained fire to get one more shot at half FP and the increased malfunction penalties? It seems not according to the sustained fire rules (A9.2). However it does seem to be able to make an IF to hit shot. Am I right in this?

Mike

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Can an AA gun with an IFE that exhausts ROF in the prep fire phase, use sustained fire to get one more shot at half FP and the increased malfunction penalties? It seems not according to the sustained fire rules (A9.2). However it does seem to be able to make an IF to hit shot. Am I right in this?
A9.3 "A MG that attacks using Subsequent-First-Fire/FPF (8.3/8.31), or during the DFPh while marked with a First FIre counter (8.4), is using Sustained Fire."

The rule is clear about when it Sustained Fire is allowed, and by COWTRA one can determine that using Sustained Fire during the PFPh is not allowed.

In contrast Intensive Fire [C5.6] does not limit itself to particular phases (although it excludes the AFPh for weapons not using Opportunity Fire, which as a bit of trivia prevents vehicle-mounted guns from using IF in the AFPh) .

JR

Last edited:

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks JR,

You are stating pretty much what I was thinking although at times I, and others, have conflated intensive fire and sustained fire when it comes to ordnance with IFE. That is the way I played it. Thanks

Mike

Aavar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
BTW IFE is not a MG and cannot use sustained fire at all.