Surrendering to an SMC on top of wire

ReggieRed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The situation is as shown in the attached image...a disrupted German squad is L9 and it is the German RtPh. The unit on top of the wire in L10 is a GO Russian leader with the LMG. Does the German squad in L9 surrender to the leader on top of the wire? I don't see anywhere in A20.21 that the armed Infantry unit forcing the surrender has to be a MMC. Likewise, B26.41 has an EXC that seems to indicate units that are surrendering not having to pay the wire costs of a hex. I don't see any other mention of a unit on top of wire not being able to accept surrender. Thus, as far as I can tell, L9 will have surrender to L10? Also, is it true that he would have to surrender regardless of whether he was disrupted or not, since the 628 in N9 would be able to interdict him if he routed to L8?

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Attachments

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That is right: the squad will surrender to the leader. The leader can invoke No Quarter if desired.

From what I can see of the map, the broken unit does not have LOS to the Soviet unit in J9. If not (you'd have to move some counters for me to see), then if not disrupted and if there were no other Soviet units in the J9 general direction, the broken unit would (have to) rout to K9. It would then discover it had made a grave mistake and refigure its rout. At that point in K9 it would surrender.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Pop quiz: if the Soviet Leader had been a Soviet AFV instead, what would have happened?

JR

ReggieRed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is right: the squad will surrender to the leader. The leader can invoke No Quarter if desired.

From what I can see of the map, the broken unit does not have LOS to the Soviet unit in J9. If not (you'd have to move some counters for me to see), then if not disrupted and if there were no other Soviet units in the J9 general direction, the broken unit would (have to) rout to K9. It would then discover it had made a grave mistake and refigure its rout. At that point in K9 it would surrender.

JR
That is right...the wire in K10 is in woods and there is no LOS between J9 and L9. And no other Soviet units out of view that would prevent the L9 to K9 rout.

Thanks for the help, all!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct, the qualifier in that case (if the ADJACENT unit were a vehicle) would be a Good Order "Personnel" unit. The same procedure would be in effect if the Leader on the wire were Berserk as it then would no longer be in GO and thus force the rout of the Disrupted unit as well.