Surabaya Slugfest...

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Halfway through a game of Surabaya slugfest, and a couple of things came up that I'd appreciate the hive mind think on...

1. Dash...I dashed a half squad across a road into a building. On entering the road an Indonesian 4-4-7 first fired for 2 down 2 and broke him.
My opponent then wanted to final fire at him on the basis that he had declared a 3MF move when declaring the dash.
I told him he had been smoking crack and that only one MF had been expended. Was I right?
He then chose to fire another squad at him, at full (not halved for the dash) - I accepted that as I hadn't made it to the other side of the road but wasn't sure.

2. Rout...after I routed a unit to the ground level of a rowhouse and stopped, he then revealed a HIP tank hunter hero at Level One, which he claimed eliminated the broken unit. I accepted this but I wasn't sure if the Tank Hunter Hero counted as unarmed except against AFV's because their CC number is in parenthesis. If so - was my unit eliminated? theoretically could you rout towards them if revealed earlier?

3. OBA...SR placed which deviated - observer has LOS to the blast height, but not the base height. There are enemy units adjacent to the SR but all are unknown to the observer. So...mandatory correction. What if the observer fluffs his contact roll? I think and we played nothing until next player turn - my opponent was arguing without much conviction it was cancelled.

Enjoying the scenario - After 3 turns, I've lost more than I needed to by jumping into a few unnecessary close combats but the Indonesians are getting a real good kicking - they've lost 11.5 squads and a couple of vehicles and a gun and 8 tank hunter heroes vs maybe 4.5 British...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
1. Only one MF was spent in the road hex, so no DFF on the non spent MF.
Another unit DFFing at the ex-dashing unit will have no halving of FP, and FFMO/FFNAM if applicable (FFNAM will, as the unit is broken).

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
4. Also, if I mop up a building (which I can because only the Indonesians have declared no quarter) and it contains a HIP Tank Hunter heroes do I make a casualty roll?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
2. A T-H Hero cannot voluntarily reveal just to prevent a brokie from routing:

G14.22 A hidden T-H Hero can lose HIP involuntarily in the normal manner [EXC: it cannot affect Searching/Mopping-Up casualties (A12.154)], but can lose it voluntarily only at the times and in the circumstances in which a T-H Hero may be created during play [EXC: the presence of a "creating" MMC is not required]. When his HIP is lost, all rules for T-H Heroes go into effect for him [EXC: he might be eliminated immediately; 1.425].​
The RtPh is not "a time" or "a circumstance" when a T-H Hero could be created. Also note the above, final EXCeption which points to G1.425:

G1.425...If a hidden T-H Hero who is the only DEFENDER unit in his Location is eliminated due to being involuntarily revealed by the entrance of his Location during the enemy MPh (A12.15; but note also G.4), that enemy unit/stack is not returned to its previous Location and forced to end its MPh; it remains in the (now dead) hero's Location and may continue its MPh if otherwise able.​
This rule leaves open whether gameplay should be the same during the RtPh. However, the rules state that the T-H Hero is immediately eliminated if it is involuntarily revealed:

...A T-H Hero who loses HIP status involuntarily (see 1.422) is immediately eliminated unless his HIP loss occurs either during the enemy MPh​

To me that should be sufficient. The T-H Hero cannot reveal voluntarily and will be eliminated immediately upon the brokie's attempt to enter (i.e. before they are eliminated for FtR).

3. SR stays (and would stay even if the loss of contact was voluntary - since Observer can see the Blast Height: C1.22, last sentence).