Surabaya Slugfest (BFP71) - The Axis M3A1 Scout Car

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Just about to start this and just want to check out that we're clear on the usage of this vehicle in the scenario please. Really would appreciate some feedback.

So..normally this vehicle would come with an inherant crew and a half squad. In turn they could exit the vehicle with a dismantled .50cal HMG and .30cal MMG.

However. The vehicle in this scenario belongs to the IRA (Indonesian Republican Army). So, the standard half squad is not present. Furthermore, IRA units cannot deploy (i have no half squads). Furthermore crews cannot voluntarily abandon their vehicles. And finally, the Axis .50cal MG cannot even be dismantled.

Now. We both sort of feel that the intent behind the scenario may have been to disallow removal of the .50cal. The combination of the rules above all seem to point towards that.

However:

(i) I'm led to believe that support weapons on a foreign vehicle remain their manufacturers nationality. So, the .50cal on the Scout Car is in fact a US .50 cal so therefore IS dismantlable.

(ii) Despite crews being barred from voluntarily abandonment I think I can load one of my leaders on board the vehicle to exit with the dismantled (US!) .30cal

(iii) I also feel, should I so choose, that one of the gun crews in my OOB, could begin play mounted on the vehicle to exit with that prized .50cal. It sort of seems a little like 'dereliction of duty' to do so and also a bit sleazy.

Question...is this all allowed? Is this against what the designers intended (it's a Chas Smith design)

Thanks guys

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think we played it this way;

The inherent HS as a 2-3-7. (HS for an AM 4-4-7)

The .50 is American made, so its DMable.

Good scenario. The Shermans were beasts.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I think we played it this way;

The inherent HS as a 2-3-7. (HS for an AM 4-4-7)

The .50 is American made, so its DMable.

Good scenario. The Shermans were beasts.
You played it wrong....but I bet still had a blast.

There is no inherant HS in the IRA version of the vehicle (as per BFP vehicle notes).

One of the design team responded yesterday on FB confirming that the .50cal cannot be removed. It should perhaps be clarified/errata'ed

I'm looking forward to playing it...but do think the IRA probably need that .50cal as the Brits look quite overwhelming.

We'll see. Looks entertaining to say the least.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Played this recently and I share Martin's interpretation - not DMable, no HS.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Played this recently and I share Martin's interpretation - not DMable, no HS.
It's how we've played it and how the designers intended it (they confirmed to me on Facebook).

Managed to get an MMG out mind....aircraft point attack.....rolls....11 and 12 :)

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We played this scenario at least twice. I thought the British Indian Army had an advantage. The 648s and the Shermans rule the wooden city map board. The Sherman tank is an undervalued tank. Both Soviet crewmen and the Israel Army loved their Shermans. The latter put air conditioners in them. Sunstroke was a common problem for the Egyptian Army crews.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Played Surabaya Slugfest last year. I lost as the Indonesians having found it difficult to cope with the Commonwealth firepower and the frailties of some of the Indonesian troops. My TH heroes disappointed, yielding NE from 9 attacks, although all were long shots. I probably misplayed the Indonesian vehicles, squandering them for little benefit. My opponent executed a strong attack with good allocation of resources at the various points of attack and a little bit of misdirection.

Very entertaining situation and scenario - I would like to play it again. I don’t think it is grossly misbalanced, if at all.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I too enjoyed the scenario. I played the Indians twice. A better opponent might have done better with the Indonesian forces. It's the firepower of the British Indians. And the brittleness of their opponents. I would like to play it with the Indonesians. The numerous thinly clad rebel armor melt away in combat with the Shermans and the air power. Tim

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As said before, a pretty good scenario. I have a slight inclination for the Indonesians.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still like the Indians and the 648s. The no quarter rule helps the Indian cause. No prisoners. The abundance of machine guns on the four Shermans provide up close firepower. The average Indian leadership does not help, however. Their excellent ELR enhanced by the prior massacres helps too. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Give me quality over quantity all the time. Tim

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I too enjoyed the scenario. I played the Indians twice. A better opponent might have done better with the Indonesian forces. It's the firepower of the British Indians. And the brittleness of their opponents. I would like to play it with the Indonesians. The numerous thinly clad rebel armor melt away in combat with the Shermans and the air power. Tim
I really enjoyed playing 'Slugfest' last year although I lost as the indians. I ran out of time before I could get in to position to assault the last VC building. A memorable moment occurred when one of the Indonesian scout cars shot down one of my fighter bombers with its AAMG in the early part of the battle.
I wouldn't mind playing this scenario again.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree it is a great scenario. Large number of rebels and HIP capacity kept me in fear of an HIP unit somewhere in my rear on a second floor. I think with a quality opponent they would perform better. My usual opponent (I am now 22 and 7 against him) tends towards overstacking. Which is a serious flaw in his game. I have played hin FtF for 30 years. Tim