Supply issues in Finland

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Hi guys,

I've just been playing the TOAW3 version of EA for the first time, and encountered something I havent seen before. My opponent has cleverly blown all the bridges in Finland, which wouldnt normally be a major problem, but because several of them (notably in southern finland) are rail bridges over super rivers. That combined with the fact that the Fins dont have much in the way of brigding or engineering capability means that all my troops in the Mannerheim Line are out of supply and unable to retreat! Anyone had this before?

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi guys,

I've just been playing the TOAW3 version of EA for the first time, and encountered something I havent seen before. My opponent has cleverly blown all the bridges in Finland, which wouldnt normally be a major problem, but because several of them (notably in southern finland) are rail bridges over super rivers. That combined with the fact that the Fins dont have much in the way of brigding or engineering capability means that all my troops in the Mannerheim Line are out of supply and unable to retreat! Anyone had this before?
A full-strength Finnish Infantry Corps has 37% engineering. If memory serves, one requires 10% engineering, plus enough MPs, to enter a super-river hex with a blown bridge in it, from a hex that had a road that leads to that blown-bridge hex.
If you don't have enough/the right troops to bridge the river you'll have to ship in some German bridging assets to help them out, and then, probably, pull back behind that river. The alternative would be to send a German AA Div (that have engineers in them) to guard the crossing and repair it if it gets hit again.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Thanks Veers. Its 1939, so I'm not sure it would be right to bring Germans across to help out just yet :) But I will have another look at the Finnish Corps to see if they can get across the rivers.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Veers. Its 1939, so I'm not sure it would be right to bring Germans across to help out just yet :)
Ah, yes, that and the exclution zone that blocks the Germans from arriving, eh? :D

But I will have another look at the Finnish Corps to see if they can get across the rivers.
They should be able to, providing they haven't been totally mauled. As well, if you park a unit with 10% engineering on that hex, it should allow supply to flow over the river.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Yes - that's right. Probably fairly realistic having an EZ there anyway.

I checked again, and I have nothing able to even get onto those super rivers with the bridges blown at the moment. I have 2 rifle corps out of supply on the wrong side, with 28 and 30 engineering, and still in fairly good shape.

Looks like I'm going to lose Finland!

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes - that's right. Probably fairly realistic having an EZ there anyway.

I checked again, and I have nothing able to even get onto those super rivers with the bridges blown at the moment. I have 2 rifle corps out of supply on the wrong side, with 28 and 30 engineering, and still in fairly good shape.

Looks like I'm going to lose Finland!
How extremely odd. I just did a test...blew the bridge at hex 127,48 (with super river) and then the next turn the Finn HQ was able to enter the hex, having only 17% engineering.
First: This test was in T3. I'll try to do the same test in CoW tomorrow.
Second: It had full MPs. Did the unit you tried to move onto the blown bridge have full MPs?

EDIT: Preformed the test for CoW and both the Finn HQ (Eng: 14%) and the Finn II Corps (Eng: 34%) were able to move into the hex.

I don't know what to tell you, Jason, except maybe that old addage: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." :laugh:

Last edited:

Panzerpelle

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
How extremely odd. I just did a test...blew the bridge at hex 127,48 (with super river) and then the next turn the Finn HQ was able to enter the hex, having only 17% engineering.
First: This test was in T3. I'll try to do the same test in CoW tomorrow.
Second: It had full MPs. Did the unit you tried to move onto the blown bridge have full MPs?

EDIT: Preformed the test for CoW and both the Finn HQ (Eng: 14%) and the Finn II Corps (Eng: 34%) were able to move into the hex.

I don't know what to tell you, Jason, except maybe that old addage: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." :laugh:
Can it be that the major ferry and minor ferry capabilities is somewhat involved here? I think a unit must have major cap to be able to enter a superriver? At least when its not a destroyed bridge site...see pic! The finnish inf corps does not have any major ferry capabilities at all!

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Can it be that the major ferry and minor ferry capabilities is somewhat involved here? I think a unit must have major cap to be able to enter a superriver? At least when its not a destroyed bridge site...see pic! The finnish inf corps does not have any major ferry capabilities at all!
Yes, Major ferry is required to enter a super river without a blown bridge, however, the fact that Raver has mentioned his bridges have been blown led me to believe that he is trying to enter a super river hex with a blown bridge, which only requires engineering.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Yes that's right Veers - it was the super rivers that were giving me trouble. Funnily enough a couple of turns later I got a reconstituted unit that managed to get onto the blown bridge hex and save my rather depleted army.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes that's right Veers - it was the super rivers that were giving me trouble. Funnily enough a couple of turns later I got a reconstituted unit that managed to get onto the blown bridge hex and save my rather depleted army.
Good to hear!

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Did they survive, Jason? Being out of supply can be *very* telling...

I currently have a game going (as Allies) where France was about to fall, but I was able to sneak in the back door, and cut the Germans off completely from supply. My opponent chose to ignore it and take Paris from me, likely reasoning that moving enough back to restore supply would take enough of his forces away that Paris might hold; capturing the city would see the French collapse - end of problem. Thus, my French units in his rear were left to their own, and Paris did fall.

But I took it back, noticing already how further depleted his units were becoming. Again my opponent ignored the out of supply issues, and again took Paris. Problem at this point was that I was starting to surround his units - not that he couldn't break out, but his focus was on Paris. Seeing all the Germans even more depleted, I whipped a Brit armor from the UK into France, and it had enough movement to make it into the battle for Paris. (Made sure it is one that reconstitutes :D )

I don't think this next would've been possible without the combined might of the RN and the French navy... I had reduced the 'Paris Pocket' so 2 hexes were all that remained of the Axis area. Paris was full, and the hex next to it was just in range of my Battleships. I had qualms about completely surrounding Paris, as his troops would fight all the harder if there was no retreat route available. But I didn't feel I had the forces to pull it off without taking the hex. (Too many units not yet adjacent to Paris). So, knowing the BBs would provide some serious assistance against his few exhausted infantry units, I took the hex, and the short of it is that this lead me to actually clear the pocket (Brit armor was invaluable). Paris is Allied, and half the German army is evapped. I'm now toying with the idea of stuffing all the Brits into France as well.

I know that my opponent is in some bad shape at the moment, but it's only a matter of time before the German army recovers. Hopefully I'll be able to rest and refit the French in that time. My opponent's choice should have worked, I admit to some luck with getting Paris back twice (didn't really think that would be possible, truth be told), but I think the BBs assisting an inland hex was a factor not counted on. The Axis gamble should have worked, to be frank.

But it's a damned good illustration of what can heppen to you if you go 2 - 3 turns with no supply. Pestilence alone must've been horrible.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Hi Shane!

Well it certainly hurt me a lot going those turns without supply. I think it might have been about 5 all up, and things were going bad fast before I finally found a reconstituted unit that could manage to move onto the broken bridge and help my tattered army across. The stitz followed shortly afterward, and that's given me some time to recouperate. Plus the swedes entered on my side, which helped me feel a little better as well.