SUPPLEMENTAL MAP PACK?

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gee, the one product that my Preorder # is in the first 10, and there is the chance it will be dropped. Dang.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gee, the one product that my Preorder # is in the first 10, and there is the chance it will be dropped. Dang.
I would doubt if the project would be dropped, but many players simply pick up the boards as they are released in packs. The downside to that is new players often times miss out on maps from packs no longer available from MMP. What surprises me is that MMP doesn't offer a group of maps in batches say 10 per pack (could be offered as 'The Primer Pack, Boards 1-10', 'The Wonder Years Pack, Boards 11-20', etc.). These map packs could be sold as a sets for a more reasonable price and would cover "holes" in a player's set as opposed to buying the whole enchilada (very often not the case in a player's needs).

Last edited:

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Placed my pre-release order for the map pack.

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would doubt if the project would be dropped, but many players simply pick up the boards as they are released in packs. The downside to that is new players often times miss out on maps from packs no longer available from MMP. What surprises me is that MMP doesn't offer a group of maps in batches say 10 per pack (could be offered as 'The Primer Pack, Boards 1-10', 'The Wonder Years Pack, Boards 11-20', etc.). These map packs could be sold as a sets for a more reasonable price and would cover "holes" in a player's set as opposed to buying the whole enchilada (very often not the case in a player's needs.
Don't get me wrong. I have one of all of the boards and sometimes two. It's those older AP's of which I did not always buy two.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The first map bundle was more successful, because MMP was switching to the cardstock version of the geoboards.
Many players bought it to be up to date with the new standards.
Now, the second bundle only interests people who want more than one map of a type and newcomers. A much smaller crowd.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Same as Robin above. I got back into the game a little more than a year ago, and quickly got the first Map Bundle to take my collection to the new format (plus, some of my old maps had been damaged). If the supplemental pack had been available at the time, I'd have ordered it too, but in the meantime I managed to complete (or almost complete? must check this one of these days) my sets through buys of new and second-hand packs, so since I'm not all bent on getting doubles of everything, I'm not interested in this one.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I left the game in 1992/3 as school and the army took over my life, and I got away from gaming in general. Getting back in in 2016/17, it really seems that I am 15 years too late; that the ideal time to have fallen off the wagon was around the turn of the millennium, when MMP was starting to put out new product. Now much of the stuff that I want in order to be able to play the full game is out of print, and too expensive for me to survive my wife finding out about it. But MMP’s limited ability to reprint and restock mean that I have to wait and hope. Not that I’m knocking MMP, I get that they are limited, and understand why. I guess the only solution is to get out there and recruit a ton of new players!

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
The first map bundle was more successful, because MMP was switching to the cardstock version of the geoboards.
Many players bought it to be up to date with the new standards.
Now, the second bundle only interests people who want more than one map of a type and newcomers. A much smaller crowd.
Unfolded was a huge appeal of the first one, which is not to be repeated, sadly. That's another strike against it. I have not preordered, waiting and seeing. If it was unfolded, it would have been an autobuy.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Though I have placed a pre-order with SCG, like Spencer, I would definitely prefer unfolded.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I’d even pay a bit more to cover the two boxes.
Absolutely agree. I likewise did not pre-order. At this point I have all of these boards, so unfolded would be the only thing to get me to buy this bundle.