Suicide Creek Central....

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Non-abandoned and immobile. See the charts following 4.7056 for various possibilities, and in particular the last chart which has the missing comma. Mobile vehicles never become strategic locations, and they are removed from the map during the SC4.7055 sweep. Note that 4.7055 should probably exclude immobile vehicles from the sweep.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Non-abandoned and immobile. See the charts following 4.7056 for various possibilities, and in particular the last chart which has the missing comma. Mobile vehicles never become strategic locations, and they are removed from the map during the SC4.7055 sweep. Note that 4.7055 should probably exclude immobile vehicles from the sweep.
SC4.7055 just says:
4.7055. IN FRIENDLY SETUP AREA: Each unit/Equipment currently in a friendly Setup Area is Retained therein. IMPORTANT: Each Gun must (for now; see SSR CG10 and 4.713) remain in its current Location, due to setup restrictions.

Where is the "sweep" rule?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
SC4.7055 just says:
4.7055. IN FRIENDLY SETUP AREA: Each unit/Equipment currently in a friendly Setup Area is Retained therein. IMPORTANT: Each Gun must (for now; see SSR CG10 and 4.713) remain in its current Location, due to setup restrictions.

Where is the "sweep" rule?
When units are "retained", I usually remove (sweep) them from the map during step 4.7055 rather than leave them there. Per 4.7055 Guns must be left in their current hex and per 4.7071 so do immobile vehicles. It would have been nice if there were a note in 4.7055 as well, as it seems to be the place where units (including vehicles) would be removed from the map. But it's just a niggle.

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I take “retained” here means to be retained in the specific Set Up area. To switch Setup Area (eg one side of the river to the other), You need to Shift.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gents .. I am setting up for the 2nd Day (Night). Found myself re-reading everything for the better part of the afternoon.

I understand that : Stream-JD, non Ford stream (Stream-Jungle also) separates otherwise intact Setup Areas.

I also understand that : RG can only go from Entry edge to Setup Area. However, Retained Units from Day 1 on the North of the Stream can SHIFT South to a Friendly Setup Area.

Does that mean the Marines canNOT have "purchased" Foxholes (or any Fortifications) on the South of the Stream? IE They can only dig.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Does that mean the Marines canNOT have "purchased" Foxholes (or any Fortifications) on the South of the Stream? IE They can only dig.
Per CG5, last sentence, "For setup purposes RG must be able to trace a path (of any length) of contiguous, Enterable (by all units of that RG) friendly-Setup/Uncontrolled-Teritory Locations frommits Setup Area to their Eligible Entry Area. This path may not cross any non-Ford stream hexes." It is a bit hard to apply this to fortifications, as it has no units to determine whether a hex is enterable. I would suggest treating the RG as infantry. But it is clear that crossing a non-Ford stream (and presumably, stream-JD) hex is right out. My read is that until a ford has been created, the Americans can set up no purchased RG, including fortifications, south of the stream. That said, per SC1.4 Infantry may set up in foxholes, independent of RG purchases and of location, and without digging. As long as you set up a unit in a suitable location, you can put a foxhole there. I also play that in order to *add* foxholes to existing foxholes, the existing foxholes have to be insufficient to hold the units that want to set up entrenched in the location, i.e. if there is a one-squad foxhole in the location already, you can't set up a halfsquad in the hex to create a two- (or three-) squad foxhole.

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Per CG5, last sentence, "For setup purposes RG must be able to trace a path (of any length) of contiguous, Enterable (by all units of that RG) friendly-Setup/Uncontrolled-Teritory Locations frommits Setup Area to their Eligible Entry Area. This path may not cross any non-Ford stream hexes." It is a bit hard to apply this to fortifications, as it has no units to determine whether a hex is enterable. I would suggest treating the RG as infantry. But it is clear that crossing a non-Ford stream (and presumably, stream-JD) hex is right out. My read is that until a ford has been created, the Americans can set up no purchased RG, including fortifications, south of the stream. That said, per SC1.4 Infantry may set up in foxholes, independent of RG purchases and of location, and without digging. As long as you set up a unit in a suitable location, you can put a foxhole there. I also play that in order to *add* foxholes to existing foxholes, the existing foxholes have to be insufficient to hold the units that want to set up entrenched in the location, i.e. if there is a one-squad foxhole in the location already, you can't set up a halfsquad in the hex to create a two- (or three-) squad foxhole.

JR
Thanks sir .. for the reminder about SC1.4!

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
Re: Various Suicide Creek questions and comments

Technically, it is Weather (not EC) = Mud that makes SMOKE NA.

So the only non-Blaze Smoke that can exist is that from a destroyed Supply Dump (SC 7.5)?, Is such Smoke placed even it if has started to Rain?
Is smoke disallowed entirely, or just mud hexes? I assume the answer applies to WP also,

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Is smoke disallowed entirely, or just mud hexes? I assume the answer applies to WP also,
Technically I don't think there are any "mud hexes" - some of the effects of Weather = Mud only affects certain type of hexes though.

SMOKE, however, can only be placed/exist per E3.734.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The Japanese mortars seem a tad useless if WP is excluded.
Unfortunately the Japanese 50mm MTR loses airburst at range 1-2 IIRC, but you can think of it as a LMG of sorts. Not quite super useful, but not quite useless. If you fire at range > 2 then the two FP down one airburst can be a really annoying attack. They aren't going to win the game for the Japanese, but I don't think the Japanese should discard them entirely either.

I think I sleazed someone by using a 50mm MTR to blind his kill stacks once. That was a long time ago. In the CG SMOKE would help the Americans a lot more than the Japanese I think.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
No flame intended. The Japanese 50mm MTR are also good against the American 75mm halftracks, should any show up. They may be more effective against halftracks without airburst than with; I'd have to research that. I am not sure the halftracks are worth purchasing, but someone else may, or they may show up in a scenario. They are also better than LMG when firing along creek beds through jungle debris because they have the longer range, better ROF (at range > 2) and they pay the hindrance DRM on the TH DR. The effects will be at two FP flat. One might find use for them in hexes like B13 or Q14 or similar. Q14 is nice because the hexes M12 & N12 may attract a crossing, and I think the MTRs will end up with airburst in the jungle-stream. I wouldn't hesitate pitching one away if the extra weight of the thing caused any grief, but I think with careful consideration they add something (a tad if you like) to the defense.

The American 60mm MTRs have similar difficulties. Their FP is higher, but it can be difficult to find a place where they have fields of fire for their minimum range. Not quite useless, but tricky to use effectively.

JR

Last edited:

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
Can an SW be setup unpossessed? Can one squad have an SW from a different rifle group?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Can an SW be setup unpossessed? Can one squad have an SW from a different rifle group?
Yes.

I once had an opponent who set up four or five 60mm MTRs with a halfsquad to fake a kill stack. Unpossessed SW may not be concealed, but a single unit may possess any number of SW (/Guns) and be concealed. We were in a CG date, and I had enough problems with other Americans that I couldn't really pay much attention to the big stack that didn't do anything.

I think that when a RG (reinforcement group) initially enters/is set up its SW must enter/be set up with units of the RG with which they were purchased. After that initial entry/set up they can set up with anyone.

JR

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
I wish there was something that spelled that out, although I think i did see something in a different CG.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I wish there was something that spelled that out, although I think i did see something in a different CG.
I think the only justification is in Q&A and in precedent, although I would have to research to be sure (NRBH). I can't think of a situation where it will make a big difference.

JR