hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Campaign Date 1
American Strategy

My goal was to overload the right flank in order to create a bridgehead across the Creek during the first scenario. So far (turn 5) I am in the creek and have cleared out one pillbox thanks to Marine inherent firepower. I have lost 3 squads, as have the Japanese. I did lose an MMG and DC when a squad got KIAed in the Creek and the leader DMed. I got a little antsy to go and lost my "lead and search with HS" focus.

The trail down the middle of the board yielded 2.5 Japanese squads, one HIP that was revealed by searching. I may have "oversearched" but didn't want to leave any stragglers to create problems with Setup Areas for game #2. I somehow missed one trail hex and now Kevin has a HS in my rear that I will have to either ignore and know he will be isolated or go after so as to have the whole width of the board as potential setup/strategic locations.

Really enjoying this so far...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't see any wire on the south bank of the stream. The Japanese should wire the entire southern bank as soon as possible. They should use the given wire and purchase as much more as they can the first day, repeat the max purchase the second day, and as I recall they have to wait until the third day to really, really finish. That means they have to prioritize their placement. Hexes that will likely be no-man's land (e.g. L12) and those that will probably attract a quick storming attempt (e.g. A12) need to be done for the first day, then other hexes that will be in the Japanese setup area and are not going to be attacked the first date (Q14 might be an example) should be done second and third. The south bank should be wired solid. When the Americans hop the stream they are then forced to come out onto the wire and typically CX (four MF to advance from stream into jungle/kunai, five it it has started raining). That gives the Japanese a good shot at CC-ing them (with -1 on wire, -1 CX) even if in a pillbox. If the Americans break while stuck on the wire, there is a high chance they will not be able to rout under it, into the stream and away to the other side of the stream, and so will be eliminated for failure to rout. I hate to sound dire, but I might go as far as to say that if the Japanese do not wire the south side of the stream, they have probably lost the CG barring a giant meteor strike.

Also note that even though setup areas do not extend into the stream, any hex that is within two hexes of strategic locations of both sides is no-man's land even if one side is across the stream (e.g. E13 across from D11, although perhaps there is a still-hidden fortification in E13, which makes it a strategic location) or even reaching across another strategic location.

Also I believe that stream-jungle-debris are strategic locations (because they are treated the same as jungle debris), but I am not 100% certain about that.

JR

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Campaign Date 2
USMC Night Attack
Report after 3.5 turns

The Americans have attempted to push deeper across Creek on the right flank. The middle has basically held (although one pillbox was found in M13 with result of breaking USMC and routing back from Creek). The Japanese pocket on the American left has almost been reduced. I think I'll consolidate my meager gains for now and hope to keep some lodgement on the south side along right flank as Japanese have 3 platoons counterattacking. Fortunately their own wire will hold them up some now.

Items of note from this scenario:

1. A unit can place a D.C. from deep jungle into adjacent deep jungle without being fired on due to night rules regarding los in deep jungle

2. Illum/IR basically useless on this map with all the jungle terrain

3. HtH - bloody for all sides. Hex C15, with foxholes, has seen the demise of 3 squads plus from both sides, and has been DCed by both sides.

More to come...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
1. A unit can place a D.C. from deep jungle into adjacent deep jungle without being fired on due to night rules regarding los in deep jungle
Per the last sentence of A23.3, "A unit may not Place (or Throw; 23.6) a DC to an adjacent Location out of its LOS (7.21)."

JR

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
JR- thank you- you know I looked, and looked for that as I thought that was the case and couldn't find it under duress (as in while playing ASL at midnight!).

Thank you!

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
I don't see any wire on the south bank of the stream. The Japanese should wire the entire southern bank as soon as possible. They should use the given wire and purchase as much more as they can the first day, repeat the max purchase the second day, and as I recall they have to wait until the third day to really, really finish. That means they have to prioritize their placement. Hexes that will likely be no-man's land (e.g. L12) and those that will probably attract a quick storming attempt (e.g. A12) need to be done for the first day, then other hexes that will be in the Japanese setup area and are not going to be attacked the first date (Q14 might be an example) should be done second and third. The south bank should be wired solid. When the Americans hop the stream they are then forced to come out onto the wire and typically CX (four MF to advance from stream into jungle/kunai, five it it has started raining). That gives the Japanese a good shot at CC-ing them (with -1 on wire, -1 CX) even if in a pillbox. If the Americans break while stuck on the wire, there is a high chance they will not be able to rout under it, into the stream and away to the other side of the stream, and so will be eliminated for failure to rout. I hate to sound dire, but I might go as far as to say that if the Japanese do not wire the south side of the stream, they have probably lost the CG barring a giant meteor strike.

Also note that even though setup areas do not extend into the stream, any hex that is within two hexes of strategic locations of both sides is no-man's land even if one side is across the stream (e.g. E13 across from D11, although perhaps there is a still-hidden fortification in E13, which makes it a strategic location) or even reaching across another strategic location.

Also I believe that stream-jungle-debris are strategic locations (because they are treated the same as jungle debris), but I am not 100% certain about that.

JR
JR- I am still unclear on whether the creek stops the projection of "control" for no-man's land determination or not. Per the CG rules the Creek is not considered enterable for setup area determination only. In my reading that means in "drawing the map" and establishing no-mans land and uncontrolled territory. Therefore a strategic location cannot project its influence across the creek.

Then when you move on to reinforcing, on map setup, etc. the creek IS ENTERABLE, thus units allowed to set up on board can set up across creek assuming they can trace a path of enterable hexes, which would include the uncontrolled creek hexes. Thanks for your input on this.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
JR- I am still unclear on whether the creek stops the projection of "control" for no-man's land determination or not. Per the CG rules the Creek is not considered enterable for setup area determination only. In my reading that means in "drawing the map" and establishing no-mans land and uncontrolled territory. Therefore a strategic location cannot project its influence across the creek.

Then when you move on to reinforcing, on map setup, etc. the creek IS ENTERABLE, thus units allowed to set up on board can set up across creek assuming they can trace a path of enterable hexes, which would include the uncontrolled creek hexes. Thanks for your input on this.
Although the stream is not enterable for setup area determination, there is no requirement that a non-strategic location hex has to trace a route of any kind or length to the strategic location in order to be influenced by that strategic location. It only has to be within two hexes of the strategic location [SC4.2, SC4.7051]. For instance if the Americans control a strategic location in R15 (say a foxhole) and the Japanese control all other strategic locations on board, hex P15 (assuming it is just open ground) is still within two hexes of R15 and would be no man's land even though any route from P15 to R15 would go through a Japanese strategic location. One could imagine that the rules might require being able to trace a route to the strategic location but I can't find any such requirement. I read the rules as saying that the "Zone of Control" of a strategic location will reach across anything, including enemy strategic locations and The Stream. Your way of reading it is certainly reasonable and perhaps even what the reasonable player might expect, but I can't find any justification for that reading in the rules.

JR

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
JR- thanks for your continued engagement on this- I agree with your reading of the rules and also like our interpretation so I think we are going with our interpretation in spite of no clear back up either way. The issue I see is where does "for setup area determination purposes" stop- is it limited to drawing your Setup Area of determining all types of hex- no mans, uncontrolled, etc. Probably worth clarification from designer. We just think that the Creek was supposed to be so difficult to cross, and since it separates otherwise intact setup areas, it should also stop projection of power so to speak.

Oh well we will proceed! Thank you again- hopefully the Marines will sweep the south bank next mission and it will be a non-issue! :)

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Here we are after Turn 1, CG Date 4.

This is a really great campaign so far- the CPP allotment allows for some Japanese counterattacks during this game and CG date 5. As the USMC player I am hoping to get a Ford going on my left flank while holding the vital Pillbox locations on my right flank. The Japanese appear to be committed to attacking on my right so it looks like the front may turn some to the right. As the USMC you feel a little thin during this CG. Without the Ford in place I haven't been able to purchase on board RGG and put on South side of Creek. I also have to hold the entire front whereas the IJA can focus their counterattack to disrupt my Control of even a single PB or PB cellar and thus deny victory.

Very cool campaign that I highly recommend!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Without the Ford in place I haven't been able to purchase on board RGG and put on South side of Creek.
I don't think this is right. Per SC4.7175 the RG "must be able to trace a path (of any length) of contiguous, Enterable (by all units of that RG) friendly-Setup/Uncontrolled-Territory Locations from its Setup Area to its Eligible Entry Area." I believe the stream is Enterable for this purpose, i.e. the limitation in Setup Area (SC4.2) does not apply here. Unless there are Japanese nearby, most of the stream will be uncontrolled territory.

JR

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
JR there is a particular exception that says a Ford must be in place for RGs to set up across creek. I will look up later. Thank you for checking this though!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
JR there is a particular exception that says a Ford must be in place for RGs to set up across creek. I will look up later. Thank you for checking this though!
CG5 is the right rule. In addition to the limitation of tracing a path, it also adds, this "path may not cross any non-Ford stream hexes." I'm not sure why the limit was put in both SC4.7175 and CG5 and why they are different. Technically because SC4.7175 is the later rule, it is the rule that "wins." I am not sure how this apparent contradiction should be resolved.

JR

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
>Had a nice thing (for the USMC) happen- Japanese squad in interior jungle strayed into my 10-2 kill stack, 32-1 shot, rolled 1-1, 5 KIA! ;-)

I killed Maj Darrell when he and a squad advanced into a HIP Japanese HS. Turn two of the CG.

Peace

Roger

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here's a tactical question

This is Day 2 .. Night, IJA has the attack chit.

USMC options -
1. Setup one hex into the forest so they can do a reverse slope with their much higher fire power, so that the IJA can't easily Banzai directly across the creek into the MG nests. Downside is that we can't catch the IJA in the open and cannot be rid of our No Moves as easily.

2. Setup up right by the Creek so the higher US firepower gets the -1 net drm (-1 Night LV, -1 FFNAM, -1 FFMO). So that any IJA movements may be readily seen and the defending USMC can be rid of their No Move and start shooting Star Shells asap. Downside is that IJA can Banzai across the Creek - Stream +3MF, up into the Jungle +4

What would you do?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Here's a tactical question

This is Day 2 .. Night, IJA has the attack chit.

USMC options -
1. Setup one hex into the forest so they can do a reverse slope with their much higher fire power, so that the IJA can't easily Banzai directly across the creek into the MG nests. Downside is that we can't catch the IJA in the open and cannot be rid of our No Moves as easily.

2. Setup up right by the Creek so the higher US firepower gets the -1 net drm (-1 Night LV, -1 FFNAM, -1 FFMO). So that any IJA movements may be readily seen and the defending USMC can be rid of their No Move and start shooting Star Shells asap. Downside is that IJA can Banzai across the Creek - Stream +3MF, up into the Jungle +4

What would you do?
Note that "up into Jungle" is five MF if it is not raining and the Japanese are Banzai-ing. The COT is four MF, but Human Wave is automatic loss of concealment [A25.23] (and in particular, cloaking [E1.423]). Entering concealment terrain costs an extra MF [E1.51] at night unless using a road or bypass.

One might ask, why are the Japanese attacking across the creek, and what is going to happen if they do? To the first question, on the first night the Japanese should be looking to take any easy victories they can. If the American has not taken an attack chit on the first night, that is already a slight Japanese loss, but there is little the Japanese can do about that. If there are American bridgeheads on the south side of the creek, the Japanese should look at nipping them out if possible. The Americans will be looking to expand these bridgeheads during the next day. If there are isolated American units north of the creek, especially if they are isolated behind a line of Japanese then too the Japanese might look at them as low-hanging fruit.

If there is a clean line on the creek, with the Americans north and the Japanese south, the Japanese should consider what they might gain by attacking across the creek. If the Japanese do create a bridgehead across the creek, the next day the Americans will probably will attack it. Because the Americans will not be attacking across the creek they will have a number of advantages. They know they won't end up on wire (the Japanese did wire the south creek edge, didn't they?), so if they break they can just rout back. In fact the Japanese will be on the wrong side of the wire, and if they are forced to retreat they will likely run into their own wire. Because setup areas will be separated by the creek, Japanese on the north side would have to shift if they wanted to abandon the bridgehead before the next CG date, with the accompanying risk of casualties. It will take time for the Americans to eliminate a north-side pocket, which will be time they will not be attacking the south side, but for the Japanese will it be worth the loss of the units for a few turns delay, especially so early in the CG? The Japanese might consider staging a raid across the creek if there is a reasonable chance for a favorable exchange of losses. Any territory gained will be lost fairly quickly, and probably not at a favorable rate.

If the Japanese do decide to attack across, they next should consider where and how. There are a lot of creek hexes that are not just empty creek, i.e. stream-jungle debris and stream-jungle. Cloaked Japanese can assault move into these, then advance (vs. difficult terrain) out. In stream-jungle debris the Japanese will be eligible for night lv hindrance as well as TEM with no FFMO and no FFNAM and halved FP for concealed. The Japanese might stage a raid across the creek through such terrain to see if they can make a quick profit against exposed units. Even in open stream, the Japanese might consider an assault move-advance-type attack rather than a full Banzai. Halving of FP (and residual) with concealment and no FFNAM is a good reason even if the Japanese ML is not raised one. The Japanese do not lose concealment if they assault move into empty creek even if it is illuminated.

If the Japanese decide to attack, and decide to perform the full-throated Banzai attack across the creek, any attack IN the creek will be at least at minus one DRM. I say "at least" because the Americans have plenty of negative modifier leaders. The minimum attack will probably be a twelve down one (single squad) for a one-in-six chance of a K/2 or better. The attacks will get worse from there, with twenty down one (squad with MMG), twenty-four down two (squad with HMG and minus one leader), and so on. Perhaps a better way for the Japanese would be to send cloaked units into the creek first to draw fire, but still any residual is not reduced for night LV, and the night lv does not affect residual FP attacks.

The Americans might also consider a light outpost line at the creek edge (halfsquads perhaps mixed with dummies) with the real MLR in the woods behind. If the Japanese Banzai, they are hit when they leap out of the creek (PBF with TEM and FFNAM canceling) by the American second line. Perhaps some of the outpost line will be lost, but now those Japanese without American units in their hex face the difficult choice of advancing into the MLR (lax due to having banzai-ed and +1 ambush for advance into jungle) or remaining in place to face two turns of blistering American fire.

In sum, as the Japanese I would probably not attack across open creek, and if I did, probably not with a Banzai, and if I did, I would probably advance units in on a previous turn then Banzai them out of the creek. Having gone through the results for the Japanese, I would probably set up the Americans at creek edge by areas of open creek. If the Americans set up a true "reverse slope" defense (and the Japanese should be wary of HIP units), my likely Japanese attack would be to Advance into the creek on turn one, then Assault Move out on turn two. My personal preference for the Japanese if the Americans are not on the south side of the creek is to let sleeping imperialist dogs lie and spend my time enhancing the defense south of the creek. As the Americans i might even be looking for a chance to get off no move and make a crossing myself.

JR