Suggestion for BFP

msoong38

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I loved the themed packs that BFP does with a lot of care and high quality scenarios (i.e. PiF, Blood and Jungle, etc.).
I think one under-presented theater is France '40. Is there interest (or better yet, plans) for a big France '40 pack in the vein of PiF or Blood and Jungle?

Milton

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
That would be awesome, even though it might just be too similar to PiF - early war battles where armor is essentially "tin cans".

But for such packs to "work", they have to be a labor of love - whoever's behind them has to really want to create such a large themed packs. So if they're, for the moment, tired with early war, and want to do something different, I won't hold it against them.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Most of the French tanks, and the British Matildas too, are anything but tin cans in the context of the France 1940 campaign. They have problems to be sure, but lack of armor is not among them.

JR

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From talking to some of the BFP principals, Phillipe D. is right. The packs are based on someone wanting to do a particular subject out of personal interest and then doing it. Same for some of the MMP HASLs and the like.

Misterhawk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Someone has a list of all of the HASL projects currently in development and they all seem to be the passion project of some individual or group of friends.

Dan Dolan (legend of song and story) has developed an HASL for the France, 1940 Campaign that is based on the fighting around the river crossing at Dinant. MMP is planning to publish it and the latest word is that it will be included with the Croix de Guerre reprint.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Between mainly posts here and some background chat, BFP's initial plans were to do an Axis Minor, an Allied Minor, a French and a pair of East Front modules as well as an undecided number of HASL and what I call the "terrain modules" (ITR, BtB2, HG2). That was the vague intention, the Polish part of the Allied Minors emerged as PiF, CoS was the 1st EF with a redo of HoB's OTO the next one and I suspect a 3rd eventually. BFP seems to suffer what in software is called "feature bloat" in that their Allied Minor module grew too big and the Poles got split off on their own. The end result is that individual ASL nations get tons of excellent treatment but has a downside in that takes time.

The Axis Minor (an expansion of RbF 4?) bits may be mixed in with their future EF projects or may have their own including Balkan action. My take is that as scenarios on a particular theme accumulate then the outline of individual modules only then become clearer. The French may one day get their own, I have no idea of when though, but I would be surprised if a few F'40 scenarios are not already in their filing cabinets.

LFT had a F'40 issue (LFT 11), with a seashore map, worth getting if still available at a half decent price. While I may be more EF orientated than elsewhere, I would still welcome F'40 getting the intense BFP treatment.

msoong38

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Paul, this is good info.

I have the LFT French issue and it is good stuff Just a fan of the campaign, hard fought, and has a bunch of desperate actions, and interesting and unusual hardware. Looking for more that's all...

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The DTO is in desperate need of a BFP treatment, like PTO with B&J.
While I am still not a PTO fan and yet loved B&J due to it's variety of non jungle scenarios, I foresee a problem with a DTO equivalent. Though it would likely be well received, the problem is that DTO, by my estimate, the lowest number of fans of any theatre. The result could be a dearth of scenarios to include, they have to come from somewhere and need great dedication from the limited pool of designers. BFP's designers are so because they love the subject. BFP is not some child sweatshop assembling phones, they can't be ordered around as their livelihood doesn't depend upon their unpaid BFP labour.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
DTO doesn't seem to have that many scenarios around, but then, is it really a popular theme? (OK, the fact that the Desert rules and boards are harder to come by [and there are far fewe, and have not been revised in, well, forever, certainly doesn't help; but every time I tried to get into the Desert rules, I found them hard to understand, and gave up)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I am still not a PTO fan and yet loved B&J due to it's variety of non jungle scenarios, I foresee a problem with a DTO equivalent. Though it would likely be well received, the problem is that DTO, by my estimate, the lowest number of fans of any theatre. The result could be a dearth of scenarios to include, they have to come from somewhere and need great dedication from the limited pool of designers. BFP's designers are so because they love the subject. BFP is not some child sweatshop assembling phones, they can't be ordered around as their livelihood doesn't depend upon their unpaid BFP labour.
I have always found Chas, Sam, Rick and all the others at BFP, to be an outstanding audience for ideas, particularly if it is an idea you show a passionate interest in yourself. I thin kthe same holds true for Chas Argent and PErry at MMP. Show up with a well-developed idea, and an obvious passion for the project. I think CH's multiverse DTO rather filled in a large number of DTO "blanks", so obviously scenario data and ideas abounded up to that point. DTO does have a calling only marginally larger than that for DASL, however.
;)

KRL, Jon H

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
DTO doesn't seem to have that many scenarios around, but then, is it really a popular theme? (OK, the fact that the Desert rules and boards are harder to come by [and there are far fewe, and have not been revised in, well, forever, certainly doesn't help; but every time I tried to get into the Desert rules, I found them hard to understand, and gave up)
Well, actually it could be that nobody really knows...

Indeed it has been since back 'forever' that DTO is out and there has not that much been coming since then. Granted, there are quite a lot of scenarios around. But not much more beyond that (discounting CH's efforts).

One thing that made me start with Bocage was the great article included in the BFP's 'Operation Cobra'. I imagine that something comparable would go down very well with a DTO offering.

von Marwitz

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Hi Joh, I won't disagree in the slightest, it's just I strongly suspect that the pool of potential DTO designers will be as sparse as the DTO itself, if the number of both scenarios and AAR's are any guide. If there are few players, then designers will be even rarer still. While BFP & MMP would most likely enthusiastically encourage and support any reasonably thought out DTO design, if none turn up, then they have to ponder whether it's worth their time and effort to initiate such themselves, given the ASL world's apparent lack of enthusiasm for DTO.

You are likely right about CH's DTO stuff. I bought their original, ATO derived, DTO series and quite liked their simplified map approach. Both the original AH/MMP and the later CH approach have their pluses and minuses. CH definitely, in its own ... ahem ... idiosyncratic way, scratched some DTO itches.

In the end it comes down to numbers. Whoever publishes must think of those, not only from a financial point of view but also in terms of playings. Even if every copy sold but was rarely played then that would be a bad hit, simply because they are fans of ASL and want to contribute.

For my own part while I would readily snap up a BFP/MMP/LFT/LCP DTO module, I would prefer more F'40 (which could include Belgian and Dutch), Axis Minor, Italian or Finnish stuff.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I loved the themed packs that BFP does with a lot of care and high quality scenarios (i.e. PiF, Blood and Jungle, etc.).
I think one under-presented theater is France '40. Is there interest (or better yet, plans) for a big France '40 pack in the vein of PiF or Blood and Jungle?

Milton
We are actually looking at doing a French pack at some point in the future that would likely be very encompassing, spanning the entire war, sort of like a B&J for the French. Certainly France '40 would play a very prominent role in any scenarios for that pack. We would probably 'gen up a set of Free French counters for the pack, as well, like we did for the Poles. We can let the color arrangements of those counters be argued at length. I personally like French blue with US green in the center, but two tone counters are such a pain in the @ss to produce without cutting issues. As to timing? Pfft. That one is down the line a ways. We have a number of projects that are active right now that we need to get finished with first. But this one is on our 'to-do' list.

Rick

Last edited: