Suggest an SK Scenario

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can any one suggest a Starter Kit scenario with light mortars? Not looking for anything bigger, just light mortars, MG, FT, and DC. Want to try a gentle introduction to guns. Thanks in advance.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Can any one suggest a Starter Kit scenario with light mortars? Not looking for anything bigger, just light mortars, MG, FT, and DC. Want to try a gentle introduction to guns. Thanks in advance.
Not an ASLSK player very often, but I will give my comments anyway. Oddly enough, light mortars could be a bit more confusing than regular guns because they can only use the Area Target Type. Perhaps something like "Baking Bread" [S18], which has only one gun and not a MTR, might be better. You might also consider "88s at Zon" [S14] which has the eponymous eighty-eights and some Bazookas as ordnance.

JR

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I can understand the will to "learn" mortars. Back when I was learning the game (back then the modules I owned were Beyond Valor, Paratrooper and Yanks, and my sources of scenarios were basically a few Annuals and Tactiques), I'd go over scenarios looking for something I could play without going too deep into the rules. Anything with a vehicle was too much; anything with OBA as well (and to this day I still suspect OBA was placed at the beginning of Chapter C, instead of the end, just as a scare tactic). And many scenarios with Americans were almost OK, no large counters... until I'd notice a single MTR or BAZ.

Light Mortars are "simple" in that they have no CA problem, and no choice when firing them as to the target type. But I agree that some simple scenario with either a single Gun, or maybe one on each side, is also a good way to get familiar with the ordnance rules.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
S11 A Long Way To Go from SK#2 has an American 60mm MTR and a BAZ.
S17 A Ridge Too Far from Operations magazine has a British MTR as its only ordnance, IIRC.
Ask over in the ASL Starter Kit folder and you'd likely get a better response.