Sugarloaf Hill Playtesting Underway!!!

Dave Lamb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This HASL definitely deserves a publisher. I will respectfully ask that since MMP is not interested, might not another TPP such as Lone Canuck or Broken Ground give it consideration? I have tested this many years ago and would still now willingly test it some more or simply just play it since it has proven enjoyable. I find it fun and it does give the player a good "feel" of what combat was like in this area of Okinawa. I regard this work highly.
BFP has offered to publish it and we've begun development.

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome!
I played it a bit with Tooz a while back and it was fun!
While there are Caves there isn't a lot of other PTO terrain to further complicate things.

wlee123

Reaction score
First name
Woody
Country
llUnited States
This is a fun module that, as many have stated, is a great way to learn caves without a lot of additional rules complexity. The scenarios typically involve armored assault across open terrain vs guns and SW in caves versus the "bug hunt" type of scenarios featuring Japanese in jungle shrouded caves. Chad did a great job on this and I am very glad BFP is going to produce it. BD will be a PTO classic HASL representing one of the most heroic assaults of a hill in Marine Corps history.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
My only problem with these later war PTO scenarios is like Iwo Jima and Peleiu, we see hard core Marines, armed to the teeth, stuck out in the open while being constantly attacked in very little TEM by units in caves and pillboxes. It is a hard situation to master, basically if you don't get SMOKE or have real good IFT DRs, you are screwed. I'm sure it is a fine HASL, it sure looks like one that has seen a lot of TLC in its development and will be a hit when released. My favorite PTO fighting is in 42 and 43 in the jungles of the Solomons or Papau New Guinea, not having unlimited LOS on units in open ground is much more to my liking, though I'll play pretty much anything in the ASL universe.
Good luck with it!

Last edited:

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
My only problem with these later war PTO scenarios is like Iwo Jima and Peleiu, we see hard core Maries, armed to the teeth, stuck out in the open while being constantly attacked in very little TEM by units in caves and pillboxes. It is a hard situation to master, basically if you don't get SMOKE or have real good IFT DRs, you are screwed. I'm sure it is a fine HASL, it sure looks like one that has seen a lot of TLC in its development and will be a hit when released. My favorite PTO fighting is in 42 and 43 in the jungles of the Solomons or Papau New Guinea, not having unlimited LOS on units in open ground is much more to my liking, though I'll play pretty much anything in the ASL universe.
Good luck with it!
Being on the Japanese end of those late war engagements often isn't a barrel of monkeys, either.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
You are not kidding, there is no more firepower than what the USA can bring to bear in 44 and especially 45, getting hit with a 24 to 36 column, even in a cave or pillbox, is quite unpleasant.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
After a bit of a hiatus, Euan and I resumed with BD-006 "Bitterest Day" today (his evening, my afternoon). We have now completed 4 turns, so just over half way. The Americans have a decent toehold on 'Sugar Loaf Hill', but are yet to establish themselves in any secure strength on 'Half Moon Hill'. Then there's the matter of eliminating the 7 caves (2 eliminated thus far...) 24337

This is such a fun scenario to play !!!

John.

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Try reading Killing Ground On Okinawa by James Hallas. Excellent book. Thanks for the heads up about Manchester's book I'll check it out. The Bitterest Day looks very interesting!
I second this! Killing Ground is excellent as is his work on Peleliu.

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After a bit of a hiatus, Euan and I resumed with BD-006 "Bitterest Day" today (his evening, my afternoon). We have now completed 4 turns, so just over half way. The Americans have a decent toehold on 'Sugar Loaf Hill', but are yet to establish themselves in any secure strength on 'Half Moon Hill'. Then there's the matter of eliminating the 7 caves (2 eliminated thus far...) View attachment 24337

This is such a fun scenario to play !!!

John.
Thanks for posting! This looks great- what are the dimensions on the physical map?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Almost 3 x 4. The final map I came up with will utilize 1" oversized hexes and will fit on a standard width 6' table without hanging over the edges. In total the map should produce at 29" x 40". When I get a chance I'll post a pick of the production map. In addition, we've got a couple of cave complex play aids, we'll have a single sheet of counters (nothing new counter-wise, just some to support the CG) as well as the rules and other CG paraphernalia.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That is fantastic too, along with the Peleliu map. Two modules coming our way with lots of CAVES!

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
It looks good. Good to read EB Sledge’s book again before it comes out. A humble man but a real Marine. Even in his good nature he makes it clear that many of the useless SNCOs and rent seeking officers were keen to bask in the glory won by better men, and to credit the nameless heroes that weak fleet dodgers hate.