Sugarloaf Hill Playtesting Underway!!!

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Euan and I completed BD-009 "Crescent Carnage" this morning. Up until the last couple of turns, both sides were approaching breaking point in terms of casualties, so there was a real fight to the finish line. But it was the Japanese whom unraveled, as my infantry endured a pair of k/ results and also threw in a pair of 12 MCs to reduce to a point of not being able to prevent the USMC reaching their VCs (5 level 3 hills on Half Moon hill/caves destroyed).

Our impression (albeit from one playing) is that this seems to be a well balanced scenario, and an easy one to recommend in terms of enjoyability. Am looking forward to playing BD-006 (and I'll finally get to play the USMC, for the first time in quite a while !!!)

John.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Euan and I got BD-006 "Bitterest Day" started this morning. A terrifying amount of open ground for the Marines to cross !!! In the first turn, I'm trying to not be overly cautious, and draw out the Japanese. However, Euan is content to keep it quiet for now...

John.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This HASL definitely deserves a publisher. I will respectfully ask that since MMP is not interested, might not another TPP such as Lone Canuck or Broken Ground give it consideration? I have tested this many years ago and would still now willingly test it some more or simply just play it since it has proven enjoyable. I find it fun and it does give the player a good "feel" of what combat was like in this area of Okinawa. I regard this work highly.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
On a side note, we are playing V5 as being level 0. It is level 1 in terms of color, but the lack of double contours suggest to us that this is an error in color, and that it should only be level 0.

cVan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On a side note, we are playing V5 as being level 0. It is level 1 in terms of color, but the lack of double contours suggest to us that this is an error in color, and that it should only be level 0.
Real good catch. Level 0 is correct. I had a layer ordering issue in photoshop that I did not catch. I'm pretty certain that is the only hex that was affected.
Thank you!

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Euan and I got another turn of BD-006 "Bitterest Day" done this morning. Both pillboxes, both '-1- leaders, and all HMGs have been revealed, with minimal casualties so far. The Marines are moving at a decent enough pace, and have even managed to eliminate a cave so far....

A lot of fun playing this. Scary as hell at the same time.....

John.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What about "Three Bars of Chocolate"? [players with a chocolate allergy need not answer]

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Euan and I have completed the first 3 game turns in our playing of BD-006 "Bitterest Day". 2 FT AFVs have entered, one of which roasted a 47L ATG, but in turn was wrecked by the 320mm Spigot Mortar OBA. Overall, the Marines are taking light casualties, and look to be on schedule for establishing the battlefield presence that the VC demand. There is also the matter of destroying 7+ caves (of which they have managed to destroy 1 of so far).

Great fun this scenario !!!!

(I have a jpeg image to add, but am being told that it's too big, so sorry no accompanying eye-candy)

Last edited:

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain

Dave Lamb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone recall a rule involving caves in which a THH or DC Hero can react vs. an enemy AFV with Street Fighting in a cave entrance hex?