Sugarloaf Hill Playtesting Underway!!!

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, are there any other ASL publishers ready to accept this project since MMP has turned this one down?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, are there any other ASL publishers ready to accept this project since MMP has turned this one down?
the elephant in the room with the question is whether or not Chad feels he has time to successfully submit and then see it through, for any other TPP or even for MMP. It is a large commitment to submit a project like this and then see it through to publication.

I think Chad indicated up thread that life has not offered him the opportunities as of late to commit to such an endeavor.
Ultimately, it's Chad's call. We have been working through the scenarios and the rules and the design, making sure Chad gets the feedback, and helping along the way to bring the design up to the 95-100% completion status.
I am glad to have been of a tiny bit of help along the way., regardless of what Chad finally ends up deciding to do with his excellent design.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Euan and I got BD-005 "Ultimate Insult" kicked off this morning. This is a tricky looking scenario for both sides, as the Japanese are counterattacking through Mud (E3.6) (and Mist (E3.32) for the first 2 turns).

Not the most ideal start for the USMC, as they lose their 9-2 leader to the SAN, and the 100mm OBA radio malfunctions.....

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Euan and I got BD-005 "Ultimate Insult" kicked off this morning. This is a tricky looking scenario for both sides, as the Japanese are counterattacking through Mud (E3.6) (and Mist (E3.32) for the first 2 turns).

Not the most ideal start for the USMC, as they lose their 9-2 leader to the SAN, and the 100mm OBA radio malfunctions.....

View attachment 18895
When Jim and I played this one, my Marines faired poorly on the left and did extremely well on the right. The Japanese can launch a turn 2 banzai on the left with excellent chances of getting on the hill if the Marines are not reading the terrain correctly, as the mist will give them enough cover to make it across the dead ground between Hill 1, Hill 3, and Charlie Hill. Then the Marines are going to find themselves hard pressed as their flank is turned, and they lose most good LOS lines from the right side ridgeline to the now well positioned Japanese determined to roll them up on the flank.

My saving grace was a MMG nest in the foxhole where you see the Sherman and the OBA blast area over on the right, same hex as you guys chose, who managed 3 fire phases of ROF tears to pound down the Japanese attackers enough to prevent them crossing the railroad. But for a good part of the game, I was severely concerned about them making their way safely into that center gully in between the Marine ridges on the left and right.

IMO, the Japanese are best served with a left flank assault followed by rolling up the flank, and have some units ready to take out the Marine detachment via CC on the lone pinnacle at dead center on turn 1. (Where you can see a foxhole there, a single detachment must set up there.) I assume you could try the right flank and a similar strategy, but the terrain and the mud are far less forgiving on time for movement, and Charlie Ridge is usually better defended than what the Marines can spare to hold the left.

Best of luck to you both, this one is a killer scenario :)
Jon

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great book I read it years ago and I may read it again.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Last Sunday, Euan and I came to the conclusion that the Mud (E3.6) is too much of a burden for the Japanese to overcome. With the tough VCs and many crests to cross, the Japanese move like molasses, the mist gives no cover whatsoever at ranges of 6 or less (ie, as soon as the USMC enjoy their full FP). We both feel that the Mud rules need to go if the Japanese are to have any kind of chance in this one.

The Mud really has far too much impact on the game. First of all, it removes all SMOKE, meaning the Japanese get NO cover whatsoever. Secondly, it makes movement so sluggish, it it almost impossible to close with the USMC. Thirdly, it is just about impossible to invoke FTR, which makes obtaining the 17 CVPs almost impossible. In or game, the Americans lost their 9-2 , 105mm radio, and it still looked impossibly hard for the Japanese !!! This one needs some tweaking.....

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Last week, Euan and I finished our playing of BD-007 "We're Dead Anyway". It was a bit of a short-lived game, unfortunately, The Japanese HMG went malf, repair dr6, and the ATG and crew was eliminated by a CH. After this, the Americans pretty much romped where they pleased. I would have done better to put the V12 cave in O11 (FA O11), but the VCs are especially modest for the USMCs, and the Japanese simply didn't have the FP to stop them.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
In today's session, My Japanese have a very tough mission, with a small numerical advantage, but a significant quality disadvantage. I (and Euan also) felt that I had no real choice but to forfeit the turn 1 MPh, and enter in the APh. I did just this, and lost an 8-0 leader for my trouble. The WP FFE in DFPh saw a 668 throw a 12MC to reduce, and them eliminate itself as it attempted to flee from its foxhole in the RtPh.

So, I've sacrificed a MPh, but got onboard mostly intact with a WP FFE2 in play. As the Japanese, I'll take it !!!

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
In today's session of BD-008 "Good Luck Charm", my WP FFE landed perfectly, and other than losing 3 HS to a 12 MC and a k/2 mtr IFT DR, the Japanese attack continued as well as one could reasonably hope. Euan and I came to the conclusion that unlimited WP makes the Japanese attack a bit too difficult for the USMC to stand up to.

Our recommended 'tweaks' to this scenario would be to limit the OBA module to 2 WP fire missions and to give the starting Japanese OoB a second 50mm mtr. I do think that this has the making of a GREAT scenario.

John.

cVan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The following minor scenario modifications/changes(underlined below) have been applied:

BD3
VICTORY CONDITIONS: The Marines win at game end if they control ≥ 2 Level 2 hexes of Hill 1 and ≥ 3 Level 3 hexes
of Sugar Loaf Hill.

BD4
SSR10 The LVT4 may not attempt ESB(D2.5) and is subject to Recall (D5.341) immediately after Unloading all passengers [EXC: The +1 DRM of D5.34 is not applicable].

BD5
VICTORY CONDITIONS: The Japanese win at game end by amassing ≥ 13 CVP on the Americans and exiting ≥
8 VP (MMC only) off of the North board edge.

SSR1 1. EC are Wet with No wind at start. Mud (E3.6) is in effect [EXC:SMOKE is allowed].

BD8
SSR4 4. The Japanese have an off-board observer in BB22 at Level 2 directing a 70 mm OBA (WP only) module with plentiful ammunition. The Japanese are limited to 2 Fire Missions (C1.7) from this OBA module.

Thank you to everyone that has provided feedback. Very entertaining to see these play out. especially the reports from games John and Euan are recapping.
If anyone has played out the big scenario BD6, please drop me an email with how it played out and your thoughts on it.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
The following minor scenario modifications/changes(underlined below) have been applied:

BD3
VICTORY CONDITIONS: The Marines win at game end if they control ≥ 2 Level 2 hexes of Hill 1 and ≥ 3 Level 3 hexes
of Sugar Loaf Hill.

BD4
SSR10 The LVT4 may not attempt ESB(D2.5) and is subject to Recall (D5.341) immediately after Unloading all passengers [EXC: The +1 DRM of D5.34 is not applicable].

BD5
VICTORY CONDITIONS: The Japanese win at game end by amassing ≥ 13 CVP on the Americans and exiting ≥

SSR1 1. EC are Wet with No wind at start. Mud (E3.6) is in effect [EXC:SMOKE is allowed].

BD8
SSR4 4. The Japanese have an off-board observer in BB22 at Level 2 directing a 70 mm OBA (WP only) module with plentiful ammunition. The Japanese are limited to 2 Fire Missions (C1.7) from this OBA module.

Thank you to everyone that has provided feedback. Very entertaining to see these play out. especially the reports from games John and Euan are recapping.
If anyone has played out the big scenario BD6, please drop me an email with how it played out and your thoughts on it.
Euan and I have BD-009 next, then BD-006, then the CG. Will keep you posted of course......

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

BD3
of Sugar Loaf Hill.

BD4

BD5

BD8

Is a publisher taking this up?

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
This morning (his afternoon), Euan and I got 1.5 turns of BD-009 completed. Euan has heavily deployed, and is using the vast room available to do skirmish-like rush for the VC (level 3) hills, hoping to draw out the HIP guns, in particular the 47L ATG. I have replied in kind by not revealing the said gun, barely content with the arrangement as it stands.

This looks tough for the Japanese; the Americans need 5 (of 13) level 3 hexes for victory (each destroyed cave reduces this by 1), and the Japanese don't have a lot of squads with which to stop them. Admittedly, my firing was quite benign in this session....

John.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Last Sunday, Euan and I got another turn of BD-009 "Crescent Carnage" completed. The Japanese are looking solid on their left flank, but in the center and right, they simply aren't making much impression on the Marines, whom currently control 3 (of 4 needed) level 3 locations of Half Moon Hill. A number of Japanese squads have suffered step losses, and as such, they really lack the FP to give the Marines much trouble. The FT AFV has been much of a non-factor so far.......

To be fair, the Japanese simply haven't enjoyed the rub of the green in the area that matters, it's hard to say whether or not the Japanese need a bit of help. But perhaps a CVP cap could give the Marines a cause-for-pause, as there is a LOT for the Japanese to have to defend.

John.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
This Morning, Euan and I got a bit more of BD-009 "Crescent Carnage" completed this morning (1.5 turns to go now). Both sides have taken high losses, but my Japanese are still hanging tough. They've had their chances, but the Marines are doing just enough to prevent us turning the tables on them for now....

Last edited: