Sugarloaf Hill Playtesting Underway!!!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Carl, looks like the Marines better bring their SMOKE rounds, brutal terrain to cross, Vic.
From my earlier playings. The Marines use every smoke tool in their inventory, and its still rarely enough. The worst is the sheer inevitability of the loss of your Shermans. They die so damn easy in this terrain. So you even use that tool, placing the wrecks to give you some cover as well.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Try playing as the Japanese and crossing all of that ground. They virtually have no smoke. I didn't even get close. :)
Jim's Japanese got in a good stonk with an onboard artillery hit, but without any decent cover, they got gutted trying to take one flank. The counterattack is completely at the mercy of the knee mortars getting a WP or two in a critical location, scoring with the onboard Gun to hit the Marine dug in firebase hard, and then going for broke in a single charge to capture Marine high ground. If you make it, you can win. If not, the scenario is over in 2 game turns. Either way, its a heck of an all out do or die position when the Japanese counterattack.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can also fire smoke into Caves I believe. Also there were scenarios where the Marines got use Smoke.

This module was a blast to play. Glad to see it getting published.
I have no idea if it will ever be published. That would be Chad's call, he is the designer (cVan on Gamesquad). And the call of any publisher that accepted it as a submission.

It is, in my opinion as a playtester and proofreader, ready for submission, and it deserves to see the light of day as a printed HASL. That call stil remains for Chad to make, however.

Rain can begin, but only at one point in the entire module is it raining at game start. Smoke and WP are therefore quite prevalent.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
g
Nice to see you on the forum again!
glad to see you back, also. When I went walking wounded, you were MIA for a bit around here.

:)

and I got that issue framed/ Looks nice in the matte open to the Series Replay with Fish's "goldfish" and your siggie. It makes perfect wall art for ASL play

Actionjick

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
g

glad to see you back, also. When I went walking wounded, you were MIA for a bit around here.

and I got that issue framed/ Looks nice in the matte open to the Series Replay with Fish's "goldfish" and your siggie. It makes perfect wall art for ASL play

Thanks! Nice to know it's found a good home.???