Suez Campaign (LCG) - AAR

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 11

Success! I played through the turn and have managed to secure each of the 100 Victory Point locations. This was done with a combination of direct fire to cause casualities and reducing morale before surrounding and capturing the disrupted Egyptian platoons. There are still some stragglers in the area that can cause me some losses, so while I am advancing, I am still doing so a little cautiously.

Here is the 3D view of the end of turn 11. With the amount of tanks and infantry I have in advance elements, it is fair to say I have been successful at securing the two 100 Victory Point locations by the canal. The 100 Victory Point location in the north, on the other hand, still needs some fighting to ensure it is secure.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 12 - Last turn for Scenario 03

I managed to secure all of the Victory Point locations in the north and even snuck across the canal along one of the Egyptians brigdges, destrying a headquarters that I found in the village. I didn't have enough Action Points to destroy the mortar platoon I found though.

Here are the final positions in 3D. Notice I spent some time ensuring that the front of my armoured units are facing the potential threats. The Egyptians still have to play, so I am not completely out of the ballpark yet.

Before pressing End Turn, I reviewed the total losses for both sides. Clearly the Egyptians had suffered a lot. I have lost 0 Sho't Kal's and a platoons worth of infantry. Expensive losses, but we shall see how that affects my core force.

I also reviewed the Victory Dialog. Looks like I have secured a Major Victory by 52 points. The focusing all my available forces on the northern route strategy seems to have paid off.

And now for the Eygptians final moves. They destroyed a lead Nagmash platoon.

Followed by reducing and disrupting some infantry.

And then some more infantry. Buggers!

Finally the scenario comes to an end with the final score being 516 Victory Points. Enough to maintain my Major Victory, even though the Egyptians shaved off 36 points.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 04, Preliminary

And I'm onto the fourth scenario. Before I do, time to review my command and see my losses.

After which I will start up the next mission and see what kind of replacements I receive. Looks like 7 this time! Nice!

I take the opportunity to increase the strength of most of my platoons. Not full strength, but mostly. Notice the impact on morale, which will recover during the course of the next scenario.

Even after the last success, it looks it was only a tactical victory as my force was pulled back and I am now preparing to defend against a larger attack.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you much. I enjoyed your illustrations and your narrative.
Are you going to cover the next scenario too ?

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My old sergeant used to just look at me and say, 'R*****, if it was easy....I'd have someone else do it.'

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 04, Turn 01

Looks like the battle will be taking place over the same battlefield. I have my core battalion in the north (highlighted in green), with a second battalion in the south. At the NOZEL position is the Brigade headquarters and some artillery.

Here is my core battalion starting positions.

Here is the NOZEL position. In addition to the self-propelled artillery, it looks like I have a Cobra ATGM team.

Here is the information and stats related to the Cobra ATGM.

My overall strategy is going to be a mobile defence. I'll hold the line and perform a fighting retreat as required. Here is the southern mostly likely advance route for the Egyptians along the Talisman Road. I have moved up all my tank companies towards the impending attack.

In the north, along the other main advance route, I have taken a slightly different approach and pulled back most of my troops in order to engage the attacking force at longer range. I have also pulled my infantry back in hopes of surviving any artillery bombardments.

During the Egyptian turn, my lead Sho'T Kal's are already causing casualties for the advancing Egyptians.

It is essential that I destroy as much of the Egyptian attacking force as I can.

So far, so good.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 04, Turn 02

Here is the southern advance area, along the Talisman Road. My Sho't Kal's have been successful in slowing the advance of the Egyptians and I have plotted all my artillery in suspected positions for next turn.

A 3D zoom of the artillery plot locations and how the Egyptians ended the previous turn.

My final positions for the southern route. I plan to hold this position for a bit before falling back slowly.

During the Egyptian turn, the Egyptians have found my headquarters with blind artillery fire. No Effect, fortunately.

A Sho't Kal was forced to retreat from Egyptian fire.

Alas, they Egyptians scored a hit, causing a reduction and disruption against my lead platoons.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 04, Turn 03

The Egyptians are pushing hard along the Talisman Road. There appears to be about two battalions of tanks heading in my direction.

In the north, a company of Egyptian tanks and some infantry are probing my position.

Here is the overview of the position in the north with my core force.

By the end of my turn, I have caused some fairly significant damage along the Talisman road advance.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 04, Turn 04

The start of Turn 4, the Egyptians are advancing in force in the north.

In the south, they are pushing harder with significantly more units.

Here is a 3D view of the Egyptians in the south prior to my attacks.

After a few attacks, and I pulled back a few hexes in preparation for a continued assault.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 04, Turn 05

The start of Turn 5, I have been notified that received some reinforcements. Amen to that!

And here they are consisting of a tank company with some supporting infantry. They came in from the north.

The situation in the north is contained now that I have the reinforcements. Hopefully I can keep the Egyptians bottled and off the north-south paved road.

The south has me shooting and pulling back. There are A LOT of Egyptians down here. My Cobra missile team has been lucky and taking out some small targets that have come into range. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll last long.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 04, Turn 06

Here is the situation at the start of Turn 6. A plethora of Egyptians here in the south, who seem to be advancing straight for the Nozel position, where my Brigade Headquarters is located.

And the situation at the start of Turn 6 in the north. This area is more contained at the moment, which I'll be thankful for.

Here is a 3D view of the Northern section at the end of my turn. I caused quite a few casualties while only taking a couple losses.

In the south, I used a lot of direct fire, pulled back a bit. I have had to pull my infantry out of the frontline at Nozel as they have been taking some heavy losses.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 04, Turn 07

Starting Turn 7, the Egyptians are still advancing towards Nozel. I am attempting to hit the advancing tanks in the flanks as they get closer, using the obscured visibility from the sand dunes to inflict damage.

By the end of the turn, you can see I have managed to take a few of the advancing tanks out.

In the north, the are still advancing, but things seem a bit more contained.

Herding tactics in the north. I am slowly advancing from the north to corral the Egyptians into a better killing zone.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 04, Turn 08

End of Turn 8, more Egyptians tanks have shown up, but I am managing to hold the line in the north. A rifle platoon is swinging west to gain a better Line of Sight to the rear area units where I can hopefully plot some useful artillery strikes in the coming turns.

In the south, the advance to Nozel has been stalled, with many Egyptian hulks burning. most of my losses in the south have been the infantry defending Nozel, the tanks in the area haven't suffered many casualties.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 04, Turn 09

The situation at the beginning of Turn 9. You can see the Egyptians have managed to capture two of the Victory Location Points at the crossroads.

And the same timing for the south. An Egyptian platoon was extremely brave and attempted to take the Nozel position. It was quickly dispatched.

The end of the turn in the south sees a lot of Egyptian hulks. And that's OK. I secured Nozel again and brought up some reinforcements, just in case.

In the north, I am closing in on the main highway from the north, keeping the pressure on the Egyptians. Unfortunately, being more aggressive, I am taking more losses.