Suez Campaign (LCG) - AAR

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 02, Turn 4

The Egyptians keep hurling artillery my way, so I have been spreading out the mechanized infantry company and sent their transport out the area to reduce any chances of artillery strikes destroying my armoured personnel carriers. I will start digging in the infantry around Martef

The Egyptians have secured the 100 VP locations already. I brought up another Sho't Kal company for reinforcements and I send my leader back towards the company closest to the 100 VP location for the pending attack.

Here are the final positions for the turn.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 02, Turn 5

Advancing slowly towards the central 100 VP location, I run into some T-55's. Fortunately, I was able to dispatch them. My current Line of Sight reveals the Egyptians attacking with infantry along the main route.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 02, Turn 6

Here is the starting positions for Turn 6. My lone Sho't Kal platoon in the south has run into T-55's and a Sagger Team. The hard surfaced route reveals some additional Egyptian T-55's getting closer to the central 100 VP location.

At the end of my turn, I have moved both companies along the flanks of the main hard surface route. I was successful in causing one of the T-55 platoons to retreat.

Here is a 2D view of the positions at the end of turn 6.

Reviewing the Victory Dialog, it reveals that I have destroyed 4 Strength Points worth 28 Victory Points.

And checking the Strength Dialog, I can determine that it was Egyptian T-55A's that were lost.

Using the Unit Viewer (F3) that is included with the game, I set it up so I can compare both the Sho't Kal and the T-55A's and see what kind of odds I'm up against. Based on the Hard target values below, my Sho't Kal's are significantly superior to the T-55's, at a distance. The Sho't Kal's out range them by 1750 metres.

After hitting end turn, my northern flank move has been hit by a Sagger Team, where I lose of one my Sho't Kal's to a missile.

The same happens to the southern flank. Two Sho't Kal's lost in total for Turn 6.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 02, Turn 7

Here are my final positions for Turn 7. Both flanks are pulling back a hex or two to keep the advancing infantry and tanks in my Line of Sight, but hopefully stay out of Sagger range. The Egyptians have secured the center 100VP with infantry.

Here is a 3D view of the northern flank. There appear to be lots of infantry and another company of T-55's headed my way.

Here is a 3D view of the southern flank. Not as bad, but appears my tankers can't hit the broadside of a barn today.

Here are the total losses so far.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 02, Turn 8

Here are the final positions for Turn 8. Things are getting a bit more hectic at the moment, so I am hitting the Egyptians with direct fire and then pulling back a hex or two. Unfortunately, I lost a couple more Sho't Kal's this turn.

Here is the northern and central sectors. Fortunately, I have been able to cause the Egyptians to retreat with Direct Fire during my turn. I will need to keep that central 100 VP location for a victory.

The south is trending to be a tank and Sagger battle. This company is not having as much luck with Direct Fire.

Here is an overview of the losses thus far:

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 02, Turn 9

As the Egyptians advance, I am trying to cause as many losses as I can while making sure I don't lose too many tanks. The ownership of the central 100 Victory Point location is swapping nearly every turn, while I try to keep artillery plotted on it and on the approaches. Here are the positions at the end of Turn 9.

And the same in 3D.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 02, Turn 10

I have lost a couple of Sho'T Kal's. Mostly in the south. Although I have managed to take and hold the central 100 Victory Point location.

Here are the losses. I have lost 7 Sho't Kal's so far in this scenario. Nearly two platoons worth. On the brightside, I have taken out 19 T-55's plus a significant amount of infantry.

Checking the Victory status, I find I am at a Minor Victory.

Here are the final positions for turn 10 in the central sector.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 02, Turn 11

HAL has decided to be rather aggressive and send a platoon of T-55's into my rear along the rail. Fortunately, the T-55 didn't have enough Action Points to destroy my supporting mortars.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 02, Turn 12

The final turn.

While I have been slowly creeping back with the tanks of my battalion, I have still managed to secure the 100 Victory Point location in the center although I did lose another Sho't Kal in the process.

Here is the central position being held by a Sho't Kal company.

During the course of the last couple turns, you can see I have managed to eliminate a number of Egyptians, in particular eight T-55's found a better home.

I held onto my Minor Victory for the scenario, although I was just shy of a Major by 4 points.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Preliminary

Before I jump into the third scenario of the campaign, let me review my battalion. The first company took a beating, losing five Sho't Kal's. The second company lost one and the third companies lost two. My infantry forces were unscathed as they didn't participate in the battle.

Fortunately, I was given a number of reinforcements so I could nearly bring my platoons up to full strength. OF course, this does negatively affect my morale at the start of the scenario for those platoons.

And here is the mission for the third scenario. Looks like I am going to attempt a counterattack against one of the Egyptian Bridgeheads.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 1

Here is the overall battle area. You can see the canal in the west and that is where the majority of the Victory Point locations are. By the looks of it, I have additional forces with me that are not my core force. My core battalion is highlighted in green.

I have been given some artillery support in the form of self propelled 155mm howitzers. They have a decent range and will be good for supporting my assaults against infantry

Here is the situation at the end of Turn 3. I have decieded to combine all my forces and attack along one axis, the northern hard surfaced road. As you can see, I am bringing up the non-core forces and they will lead the advance for me, saving losses against my core force.

Here is a zoomed in view of my core force. Most are waiting patiently for the non-core forces to pass although I have sent a company forward to see what is ahead.

And a 3D view of the above.

Last edited:

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 2

The advance continues. So far I have not run into any contact, although the Egyptians know I am coming and have lobbed some artillery my way. Here is the overview of the advance.

Same view, but zoomed in. The green highlighted units are my core battalion. I am slowly advancing the non-core units to the front althoguh I still have a tank company in the lead.

Here is what I mean by the Egyptians plotting artillery on my advance. Fortunately, there were no losses.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 3

I'm still organizing my forces for an eventual advance into the jaws of the Egyptians. You can see my column is spread out as much as I can and still be offensive in an effort to reduce any losses to the artillery that continues to rain down on my advance.

Here is a 3D view of the above. This shows a non-core infantry company joining a couple of Sho'T Kal companies as they are ready to advance. I have brought up some infantry to help look for any AT-3 Sagger teams hiding in the dunes. You can also see my artillery support has been brought up quite close (to the right of the Spontani Road label) to the front for maximum effect.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 4

I suspect I am getting close to where the Egyptian frontline is, so I will be creeping forward a hex or two at a time until I can break into the rear. Here is the situation at the start of the turn.

As mentioned, I advanced slowly, leading with infantry to hopefully spot the Egyptians in the dunes. I have plotted artillery for next turn at suspected positions.

The 2D overview of the situation. The highlighted units are my Core battalion.

As suspected, the non-core infantry has taken some initial fire from the Eygptians positions, causing a reduction and retreat.

The Egyptian fire continues and continues to disrupt the infantry probe.

A Sho't Kal is destroyed by a missile. The Sagger team is still hidden.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 5

My Line of Sight Spotting checks are revealing more and more of the Egyptian positions. It seems that this avenue of approach has a number of ambush sites that I will have to deal with. I can see that the Victory Locations near the canal are well protected with tanks and infantry. Here are the final positions for the turn.

Here is the 3D view of the current frontline. Most of these platoons are not my core force, so the losses they take aren't going to affect my battalion, although they do still cost me Victory Points, so I still need to be wary of my losses with them.

Watching the Eygptians play, the artillery is raining down upon my frontline. The Sho't Kal was unscathed, but the infantry took a beating and retreated.

Another artillery strike on my infantry, causing more losses and a disruption.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 6

Here is the starting positions for Turn 6. I'll start advancing towards the entrenched positions, albiet it will be slow and tedious as the soft sand that flanks the road will make advancing slow.

After a lot of direct fire on Egyptians I could see, I caused a few casualities and advanced a whopping 250 metres.

Here is a 3D view of the final positions. Once I get through this line of entrenchments, it should be fairly quick to advance to the canal positions.

During the Egyptian turn, the artillery scored a lucky hit and disabled one of my Sho't Kal's.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 7

Here is the end of Turn 7. I am advancing very slowly as I am focusing on causing as many casualties as I can before my mad dash towards the canal. So far, the tactic seem to be working, especially as my Sho't Kal's have effective long range fire.

Here is a 3D view of the end positions.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 8

Here is the end of Turn 8. Fortunately, the Egyptian artillery hasn't been taking a toll on my advance, a few bumps and bruises, but nothing too crazy. I have lost a few non-core Sho't Kal's to missiles over the last couple turns, but I am definitely causing more casualties than receiving. I will start pushing towards the canal next turn, as I am running out of time, with the goal of securing the three 100 Victory Point locations that are directly infront of me.

Here is a 3D view of the end positions. The trench and bunker position on the northern most 100 Victory Point hex will be a challenge. I may need to haul some infantry up there during my advance to ensure I have successful assaults.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 9

And so it begins... I have been pushing harder now, trying to eliminate as many Egyptians I could this turn while advancing. Here is the situation about halfway through the turn.

Here is the end of turn. I decided to go all in and unload my infantry amongst the most advanced positions. I have taken some losses while I do this, but it is time to be aggressive.

Only 500 metres from the Victory Locations and still a few turns to ensure their capture. With missiles on my flank, I expect a loss or more.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario 03, Turn 10

I am advancing in force to the Victory Point locations. The majority of my force in heading to the points. I have been successful in securing one and metres away from the other two. I have run into some Egyptian infantry and tanks against the canal, so the last couple of turns could be rather messy, but we shall see!

Here is the 3D view of the end of the turn. You can see I am hopefully about getting up into the northern 100 Victory Point location with a tank heavy force. Being entrenched, the Egyptians may not give up their position so easily.