it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

OK dumb question........

At Night are cloaking counters considered an enemy unit?

While I assume not, I just want to make certain.

(Reviewing Night rules to play VotG Night counter attack).

Peace

Roger

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yes they are, for the opposing side. They are counters that have their own MF allotment. In fact they are just fancy concealment counters.

JR

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
so, do they count for initial starshell placement?

I see that LOS to a UNIT but does not have to be known as something that is needed for initial starshell.

So does LOS to a cloaking counter allow initial starshell?

Peace

Roger

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
so, do they count for initial starshell placement?

I see that LOS to a UNIT but does not have to be known as something that is needed for initial starshell.

So does LOS to a cloaking counter allow initial starshell?
You betcha.

JR

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One more reason to keep your Cloaking counters as far away from the enemy as necessary to prevent their loss.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
yeah, I do not play a ton of Night and the last Nigt scenario I played was the PB CG and the NVR went to 0, so, starshellls were not a huge issue.

But for some reason, I thought you have to have LOS to a non-cloaked enemy unit.

I do not remember placing initial SH when I had LOS to a cloak counter (within NVR or other illumination).

Peace

Roger

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The appropriate rules are

E1.4 "A Cloaking counter is a "?" of any nationality not in play, and has all the characteristics of a "?" [concealed enemy unit/dummy enemy unit]. . ."
E1.91 "1.91 INITIAL USE: No Starshells/IR may be fired in a scenario until one of three events has occurred:
• a friendly unit currently capable of firing a Starshell/IR (or Spotting/Observing for an IR-capable firer) has a LOS to an enemy unit and fires a Starshell/IR; ..."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What you can't do with cloaking counters is remove No Move counters. In VotG you should probably have starshells up almost immediately. Unless NVR is really, really low, in which case the Germans should plan for a long, long night. Also look at VotG25.

JR

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Went on a riverbank blitz as the Russians in VotG whilst keeping my centre quiet as a mouse and a diversionary attack along the north map edge. Those NM counters can be a PITA as the German. They couldn't move and reinforce the riverbank until too late and by then the Russians broke through to link up the north and south map edges for the CG win!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If VotG is anything like other CGs, the Germans should consider keeping some of their leaders off so they can enter as reinforcements, not under No Move. Late in the CG the distance the leaders would need to cover may be too great, but it ought to be helpful early in the CG.

JR

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If VotG is anything like other CGs, the Germans should consider keeping some of their leaders off so they can enter as reinforcements, not under No Move. Late in the CG the distance the leaders would need to cover may be too great, but it ought to be helpful early in the CG.

JR
Yeah that's what I do in the early CG.

Have several leaders start off-board...and have several stacks of units (including more leaders) within a range that can be reached by those off-board leaders in their first player turn.