Streets of Stalingrad 4th Edition in Production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes you are Mark, the game is clearly not for you, that is all cool, it might not be for a fair few players, again this is cool, there are those of us who like HUGE maps, so be it, just because in your opinion it is wrong to make such a big map, does not make it wrong, that is just your opinion, and as the pictures of those other games show, it is small in comparison, never said you were a voice in the wilderness Mark, just that in this case your stance is wrong, simple really, big map games are not your thing, or a fair few others , fine, do not buy it, those who like them, will, end of story.
I am fine with big map games. Not fine with gratuitously big map games.

Russ Schulke

626 Designs, LLC.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry “Pitman” I did not invite myself, some of convention attendees did. They wanted to have the presentation in the smoker lounge. I declined, two things I have learned about life, 1# never mess with smokers, #2 never mess with fat people and their food.

Post “Hey Russ - very nice collection! FYI - there's a big ASL tournament every October in Cleveland (100+ guys) and probably everyone one of them has fought in Stalingrad at some point. I'm sure a few of them would like to visit. Don't know if Tom Morin (aka Mr. Stalingrad) will be there but sure you two would have something to chat about.”

email/PM: “Russ, You should come to Cleveland and bring some of your collection”

email/PM: “Love the Stalingrad battle, I have seen your name in Jason Marks books. I am a fan of SOS you should come up.”

email/PM: “… new edition, hell yes! I would come to the presentation.”

email/PM: “… Come to the ASLOK in Cleveland.”

email/PM: “My favorite maps are Stalingrad … any new info about the battle would be great, I make my own custom maps. Do consider coming to the convention.”

email/PM: “… new life to the battle would be great. These guys are always looking for new scenarios. It would be great if you came to the show.”

email/PM: “… I would come to the presentation. Would you bring part of your collection like in the Winterfest posts?”

email/PM: “I have seen some of your collection on other sites … do come to ASLOK.!

Last edited:

Russ Schulke

626 Designs, LLC.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
“Gratuitously big map games.” ?

The hexes and counters are the same size as earlier version; the area expansion is for the new scenarios and major missing part of the battle, the Volga Flotilla (shown in blue). If the Soviets do not get the 60,000+ men and material across the Volga, the battle is over in a week.

Most the major additions, revisions and corrections are supporters driven. I complied a massive database of over 2000 internet posts and emails, and I have personally interviewed over 900 SOS gamers to improve and enhance the new version.

Here some of the 20 major comments/concerns/issues I addressed;

a.) Why is there no scenario for the 16 Panzer Division's drive to the Volga River on August 23, 1942?
This is now in the game. Shown in red, this is one of the areas was added to physical map. The area the 16 Panzer Division captured on that date is shown in yellow.

b.) For the German gamer there is always something to do. However, when I play the Russians, because I am always on the defensive its slow going. Can you enhance the Russian player part of the game?

I addressed these concerns two-fold;

First, by adding the new area noted above we now get to portray the first major counterattack by the Soviet forces. On the morning of August 24, 1942 a Soviet force including a Tank Brigade (reinforced with 50 tanks overnight), an NKVD Regiment, a Naval Rifle Battalion and 1500 militia pushed the German forces out of the villages of Rynok and Spartakovka. The re-captured area is shown in purple. YES, The Soviets get to attack. Not only attack, but attack with a strong intact force. In addition, late in the battle there was a Soviet amphibious landing behind German lines (show in green) not portrayed in the earlier versions, it is now.

Secondly, with the addition of the Volga River area, the Soviet workload has doubled and the gamer will have no downtime because he now has to dedicate a good portion of his time forming convoys and running the German gauntlet of aerial attacks, artillery and riverine mines.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Playing SoS version 3 at the moment, 'The Grain Elevator'. Not a quick playing game by any stretch of the imagination I doubt many would have the time to play the entire game, one mappers are likely to see more play than the full battle so the larger maps aren't a particular drawback for me. I own all the GTS games and bought them in the knowledge that I'd never have the time or space to play across all the maps. Unless of course via VASSAL that seems to be the only practical way the some of the larger games out there see any serious play. War in the Pacific, anyone? :)

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I've always liked the SOS counters and found 'NATO' symbols to be mind-numbingly inane. I like a little creativity in my gaming artwork. All IMHuO, of course.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Personally, I've always liked the SOS counters and found 'NATO' symbols to be mind-numbingly inane. I like a little creativity in my gaming artwork. All IMHuO, of course.
100% on target, it is a WW2 game, Based on the Russian front, so why not have proper WW2 period counter art/Military symbols, the argument against them is totally mute as far as I am concerned and here is why I feel that way.

1. These war games are by the very nature of their make up, generally complicated. This to my mind makes an assumption, those or the majority of those who play them must have some form of grey matter inside the their cranium, if you can be bothered to read the rules, I think learning some new counter art would/should be a walk over.

2. It is as stated a WW2 Russian front based war game, NOT a game based in Germany in 1988 or some such NATO based war, so why would I want NATO symbols, answer= I bloody well do not, I want my Historically accurate WW2 Russian and German unit symbols.

3. Map size, come on, we are part of a hobby that has seen beasts like Europa, Drang Nach Osten and GMT Games Russian front series, are we really saying a map 8x4 foot is Too big! Gentlemen, I feel some folk need accept that we are all different here, if large is for you, good effort, if not, still good effort, if it is not for you, then simply move along, nothing to see here.

4. I am sick of this 'If it is not a certain way it is not proper' plague that is in our hobby, to put it short SoS 4 will when released be pretty special IMHO, if it is for you, buy the bloody thing, if not don't, simple really

Russ Schulke

626 Designs, LLC.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All seats are now booked!

ASLOK Attendees: Special Private Stalingrad Museum viewing & “Streets of Stalingrad 4” monster game presentation.

As I was not able to coordinate a presentation at the ASLOK, I will be hosting a small group in NE Ohio, one hour south of Cleveland on Thursday October 6.

I have one person that has already committed to the presentation, and he has room for two more people in his car.

Reply via rws@fireonthevolga.com , only serious inquiries please!

Date: October 6 (Thursday)
Time: 1000 Hrs. to 1300 Hrs. (late lunch after the presentation - Pizza Hut Buffet on me!)

Russ

Last edited:

Russ Schulke

626 Designs, LLC.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not ASL, the person who started the thread should have started it in "General Gaming". I have requested a few time via PM to have the thread move to that
category with no luck.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
100% on target, it is a WW2 game, Based on the Russian front, so why not have proper WW2 period counter art/Military symbols, the argument against them is totally mute as far as I am concerned and here is why I feel that way.

1. These war games are by the very nature of their make up, generally complicated. This to my mind makes an assumption, those or the majority of those who play them must have some form of grey matter inside the their cranium, if you can be bothered to read the rules, I think learning some new counter art would/should be a walk over.

2. It is as stated a WW2 Russian front based war game, NOT a game based in Germany in 1988 or some such NATO based war, so why would I want NATO symbols, answer= I bloody well do not, I want my Historically accurate WW2 Russian and German unit symbols.

3. Map size, come on, we are part of a hobby that has seen beasts like Europa, Drang Nach Osten and GMT Games Russian front series, are we really saying a map 8x4 foot is Too big! Gentlemen, I feel some folk need accept that we are all different here, if large is for you, good effort, if not, still good effort, if it is not for you, then simply move along, nothing to see here.

4. I am sick of this 'If it is not a certain way it is not proper' plague that is in our hobby, to put it short SoS 4 will when released be pretty special IMHO, if it is for you, buy the bloody thing, if not don't, simple really
Perry

We are swimming against the tide here mate! posting this on an ASL site where the majority of players use a c12" x 6" geo board will never convince people!!

Megaloman

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I'll just settle with a quiet "thank you for spending so much of your time contributing to our hobby". :)

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Perry

We are swimming against the tide here mate! posting this on an ASL site where the majority of players use a c12" x 6" geo board will never convince people!!
True Mate, but a Crusade is a crusade;)

Status
Not open for further replies.