Streets of Stalingrad 4th Edition in Production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have read and heard that a 4th Edition of this great game (OOP for a long time) is now in Production, what if anything would we ASL lunatics like to see new (if anything), and how many would buy this new version?

Cheers

Perry

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is this an ASL product? never heard of it before now.

Scott
No, it's a 1980s era monster Stalingrad game that was reprinted in the 2000s by L2Design Group with extremely high production values. however, L2DG is basically defunct, so I don't know who would be doing a new edition.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Is this an ASL product? never heard of it before now.

Scott
No Scott,

You are 100% correct, SoS is not an ASL product, but a very old game that has been brought to life as Fire on the Volga & Battle for the Factories in the 80's & in 2003 IIRC as Streets of Stalingrad 3rd Edition, it is as I have read about to be remade, it is an uber game that covers the whole fight for the city on a company scale. And I was just wondering who would be getting it and what folk would like to see.

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have read and heard that a 4th Edition of this great game (OOP for a long time) is now in Production
Where did you read this? I would like to follow up. I'm down if it gets released. But, I will not pre-order.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll believe it when I see it. Most things like this never get off the ground, either not having enough money or not having enough energy. The proposal seems to add a ****-ton of additional chrome, most of which would just clutter up the game. And it would seem to continue the game's major graphic flaw, which is the non-use of NATO unit symbology.

LaFajita

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I once owned a copy of the 1st edition of this game, and as I recall it used Panzerblitz-style unit designations on its counters.

Russ Schulke

626 Designs, LLC.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We had second showing in February at Winterfest 2016 - XIX

http://winterfestwargaming.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105

FROM FACEBOOK:

Congratulation to Ric Van Dyke winner (rumored illegitimate son of Dick Van Dyke) of the “Streets of Stalingrad 4” game raffle at the Winterfest XIX gaming convention.

Many thanks to all of the attendees for the viewing the presentations. Gatherings like yours, with active (hands-on) players make is possible for gaming developers/publishers to create exceptional products.

View attachment 53049

A large portion of the new map and all of the the new scenarios sheets were printed full size and laid out for display, including the three new scenarios titled “Race to the Volga”, “Rynok; the last assault” and “Historical alternatives”.

The “Race to the Volga” scenario covers the German drive to the Volga River on August 23, 1942 and the Soviet counter-attack the next day pushing the German forces out of the captured villages of Rynok and Spartakovka. This is the district where my wife grew up. (Post WWII spelling “Spartanovka”)

Rynok; the last assault covers the German forces last armor assault (16 Panzer Division) in Stalingrad in late November 1942.

“Historical alternatives”? Waffen-SS at Stalingrad, historically no, in “Historical alternatives” yes! Elements of the SS-Division (Motorized) "LAH" and a Regiment from the 22 Air Landing Division station at Crete are drawn into the fray.

In addition, we have added the Soviet amphibious operation at the village of Latashanka in late October 1942. 99% of Stalingrad history buffs do not know about this operation.

NATO symbols, lol, why not Warsaw PACT symbols then. You are willing to learn 30-40+ pages of rules for a new game, but not one page of symbols. You expect the map to be correct (roads, rail lines, cities, villages, rivers, names, terrain …), you expect the OOB to be correct (Army, Corps, Divisions, Brigades, Regiments and Battalions), why would you want NATO (Post WWII) symbols in the first place?

Russ

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We had second showing in February at Winterfest 2016 - XIX

http://winterfestwargaming.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105

FROM FACEBOOK:

Congratulation to Ric Van Dyke winner (rumored illegitimate son of Dick Van Dyke) of the “Streets of Stalingrad 4” game raffle at the Winterfest XIX gaming convention.

Many thanks to all of the attendees for the viewing the presentations. Gatherings like yours, with active (hands-on) players make is possible for gaming developers/publishers to create exceptional products.

View attachment 53049

A large portion of the new map and all of the the new scenarios sheets were printed full size and laid out for display, including the three new scenarios titled “Race to the Volga”, “Rynok; the last assault” and “Historical alternatives”.

The “Race to the Volga” scenario covers the German drive to the Volga River on August 23, 1942 and the Soviet counter-attack the next day pushing the German forces out of the captured villages of Rynok and Spartakovka. This is the district where my wife grew up. (Post WWII spelling “Spartanovka”)

Rynok; the last assault covers the German forces last armor assault (16 Panzer Division) in Stalingrad in late November 1942.

“Historical alternatives”? Waffen-SS at Stalingrad, historically no, in “Historical alternatives” yes! Elements of the SS-Division (Motorized) "LAH" and a Regiment from the 22 Air Landing Division station at Crete are drawn into the fray.

In addition, we have added the Soviet amphibious operation at the village of Latashanka in late October 1942. 99% of Stalingrad history buffs do not know about this operation.

NATO symbols, lol, why not Warsaw PACT symbols then. You are willing to learn 30-40+ pages of rules for a new game, but not one page of symbols. You expect the map to be correct (roads, rail lines, cities, villages, rivers, names, terrain …), you expect the OOB to be correct (Army, Corps, Divisions, Brigades, Regiments and Battalions), why would you want NATO (Post WWII) symbols in the first place?

Russ
Russ raises a very good point about the unit symbology, it is a WW2 Ost front game, the logical choice IMHO is to use 1942 period German and Russian unit map markings, I for one would look on modern day NATO map markings as a sale out.
I for one will be ordering a copy as it will be a massive reduction price wise than even the cheapest copy of SoS3 that are going for sell at the moment.
As to the 'extra' chrome, Gents we are ASL geeks, surely this will not deter us, we have a rule book in ASL that is over 300 pages long when added together, and that is before we add any SSR!, so that argument does not hold water.

Only thing I would be wary of is 'Historical variants' such as the SSLAH in the counter mix, will IMHO add little to the game, but other things that will make the historical side of the game more complete, bring it on.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Variants are great. Nowadays they can be offered separately (countersheet & scenarios) and since its so specialized, just sell the printed paper countersheet, as long as the layout matches the die-cutter owned by that guy who has the SPI Wrecking Yard site.

Any specifically "rules learning" scenarios? A bit of programmed instruction doesn't hurt either.

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Russ raises a very good point about the unit symbology, it is a WW2 Ost front game, the logical choice IMHO is to use 1942 period German and Russian unit map markings, I for one would look on modern day NATO map markings as a sale out.
I for one will be ordering a copy as it will be a massive reduction price wise than even the cheapest copy of SoS3 that are going for sell at the moment.
As to the 'extra' chrome, Gents we are ASL geeks, surely this will not deter us, we have a rule book in ASL that is over 300 pages long when added together, and that is before we add any SSR!, so that argument does not hold water.

Only thing I would be wary of is 'Historical variants' such as the SSLAH in the counter mix, will IMHO add little to the game, but other things that will make the historical side of the game more complete, bring it on.
In an effort to increase authenticity: If you like I will post any future comments on ASL using handwritten Sütterlin in German.

Last edited:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In an effort to increase authenticity: If you like I will post any future comments on ASL using handwritten Sütterlin in German.
Now that has to be pedantic beyond even this forums normal standard. And please do if you want to waste your time writing, in fact, knock yourself out sunshine:laugh:. I feel that authentic unit markings as all the reincarnations of this game has had so far is the way ahead, standard NATO marking will IMHO not cut the mustard. If we go down that road we might as well have NATO markings for squads etc on our ASl counters!

Last edited:

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
There has been such a huge advancement in counter art that I wouldn't even touch a game still using military symbols from the "glory days" of wargaming. How is this a "major advancement"?

Russ Schulke

626 Designs, LLC.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The word Sütterlin is nowadays often used to refer to all varieties of old German handwriting, although only this specific script was taught in all German schools from 1935 to 1941.

The Nazi Party banned all "broken" blackletter typefaces in 1941, including Sütterlin, and replaced them with Latin-type letters like Antiqua.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Honestly, I think I'll stick with the best wargame ever created; Advanced Squad Leader.

Scott

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There has been such a huge advancement in counter art that I wouldn't even touch a game still using military symbols from the "glory days" of wargaming. How is this a "major advancement"?
It is flavour Vince, using ww2 unit symbols I think is kinda cool, and in keeping with the games set time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.