Stream LOS

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In the diagram below-

1. Does the little island in 47G7 block LOS from F7 to H6 and I6?
  2. If the island were not there, is there LOS to I6?
I think that the answers are that the island does block LOS and that, even if the island were not there, there is no LOS to I6. VASL seems to think otherwise however. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug, great question. When I magnify the island in hex 47G7, I see shaded green valley terrain on both sides of the VASL LOS thread; additionally, I see the non-bridge portion of H6 is at level -2 (stream in a valley B22.2, where "stream" is a subset of "gully" B20.1). I say, "Blocked," and I'm interested to read what the pros write.

Addition: VASL LOS reports both 47K5 and K6 at levels -1; should not K6 and the other lake-like hexes be at level -2 per B21.1 and B21.2?

Cheers,

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I'd look at the original or current board.
Liberty is taken in VASL and often changes the character of a board (hopefully inadvertently).
Stream ends comes to mind,

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The SK board appears to have all of the island as the darker green color. It appears the LOS stays within the brown, dark green background, although it is close in H6 and the darker green is not clear to my eyes near the G7/H6 hexside. IF, the VASL board was true to the SK board, the island would pose no problem to LOS and IF my eyes are correct that the LOS never leaves the darker green, LOS would exist to I6. Asit is, the VASL board has the lighter green in the island, which would block LOS to both H6 and I6 since the LOS would not be traced "without leaving the combination brown, dark green background."

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The island in R6 does block. It is a lighter shade of green than the island in G7. R6 is a level -1 on a -2 level river. G7 is at level -2 on a -2 level river.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The SK board appears to have all of the island as the darker green color. It appears the LOS stays within the brown, dark green background, although it is close in H6 and the darker green is not clear to my eyes near the G7/H6 hexside. IF, the VASL board was true to the SK board, the island would pose no problem to LOS and IF my eyes are correct that the LOS never leaves the darker green, LOS would exist to I6. Asit is, the VASL board has the lighter green in the island, which would block LOS to both H6 and I6 since the LOS would not be traced "without leaving the combination brown, dark green background."
View attachment 21989
When you say the SK board, what do you mean? Is it different from the regular bd47?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
When you say the SK board, what do you mean? Is it different from the regular bd47?
SK-style board 47 is most likely different from the old mounted version regarding LOS is several hexes....as is the case with most of SK-style boards (1-52) compared to the older mounted ones. Which hexes can be bypassed is also different between the versions....

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The regular bd47 is different than the SK board (which is not unusual). SK bd47 is on the left with the yellow line (my original scan). The regular bd47 is on the right (with the red line). Differences: a) there is not really any "dark green" on the regular board and the actual stream depiction is wider, b) the path of the stream is visually different, the island in G7 is smaller and lower, not even in the path of the LOS, the stream's path in H6 is wider and to the left of the bridge is clearly IN the stream depiction, however, to the right of the bridge it is clearly outside the stream depiction and does not even enter I6 through the steam/brown/dark green terrain (blocking LOS to I6). Functionally, regular board 47 has clear LOS from F7 to H6 but not to I6, SK board 47 LOS to both H6 and I6 are very hard to tell as both hexes have LOS right on the edge of the brown/dark green colors.
22392 22393

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The regular bd47 is different than the SK board (which is not unusual). SK bd47 is on the left with the yellow line (my original scan). The regular bd47 is on the right (with the red line). Differences: a) there is not really any "dark green" on the regular board and the actual stream depiction is wider, b) the path of the stream is visually different, the island in G7 is smaller and lower, not even in the path of the LOS, the stream's path in H6 is wider and to the left of the bridge is clearly IN the stream depiction, however, to the right of the bridge it is clearly outside the stream depiction and does not even enter I6 through the steam/brown/dark green terrain (blocking LOS to I6). Functionally, regular board 47 has clear LOS from F7 to H6 but not to I6, SK board 47 LOS to both H6 and I6 are very hard to tell as both hexes have LOS right on the edge of the brown/dark green colors.
View attachment 22392View attachment 22393
And of course the VASL image is different, slightly but different, from both of them. VASL LOS confirms to the VASL image, which is much closer to the "SK board 47" (a term which sets records for confusion), which I would subtitle "new bd47" or "bd47v2" with the original bd47 being "old bd47" or "bd47v1) but that just stems from a desire for clarity.

I realize where the "SK" terminology comes from and can work with it. Ultimately, IMHO, whatever board you are playing on, the LOS is the LOS the conforms to that board image. It does not appear that there is a universal truth about whether LOS from 47F7 to 47I6 is blocked. It depends!