Stream Hex

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In this setup (DTF2), can a vehicle move from 72A10 to A9, to A8, then bypass A7 and go to B6.
Or is A8 a stream hex, or does the art 'blocking' the vertex to be bypassed cause an issue?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The "stream end" in 72A8 does not convert the hex into a stream hex. It is an open ground hex in all respects. Even if 72A8 were a stream hex, a unit in it could enter out of it in any direction, including in bypass of 72A7 (after passing a bog check, of course).

The problem I see on my physical maps is that the hexside of A72A7 is too narrow to bypass [D2.3] by my judgment and using my bypass gauge.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I have one of these, but have never been able to figure out how it works. Any instructions?
If you have one of mine, lay it so the black bar is in the space. The black bar is the thickness of a counter (.058 inches). If the black bar can be placed so it does not touch both the hexside and the obstacle being bypassed. If it touches one or the other, or both, the hexside is not bypassable. If you have one of Pleva's you peer into the slit, and if you can see neither hexside nor obstacle, then the hexside is bypassable. For both gauges you can move the gauge as much as you like until you either get a bypassable position or your opponent leaves.

JR

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have one of mine, lay it so the black bar is in the space. The black bar is the thickness of a counter (.058 inches). If the black bar can be placed so it does not touch both the hexside and the obstacle being bypassed. If it touches one or the other, or both, the hexside is not bypassable. If you have one of Pleva's you peer into the slit, and if you can see neither hexside nor obstacle, then the hexside is bypassable. For both gauges you can move the gauge as much as you like until you either get a bypassable position or your opponent leaves.

JR
What is this new (probably old) devilry of which you speak? Bypass gauges? Probably machined from Platinum to prevent distortion over time, but even that didn't work out for the metric system.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have one of these,
I should have clarified that I have downloaded the VASL extension that I think does this, but can't figure out how to use it.
I am ok on the real life boards. I don't see any button to push to run that extension. Perhaps I am too much of a Luddite...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I should have clarified that I have downloaded the VASL extension that I think does this, but can't figure out how to use it.
I am ok on the real life boards. I don't see any button to push to run that extension. Perhaps I am too much of a Luddite...
There is no button (or spoon). The 5vbm.mdx extension adds a draggable overlay. Click on your draggable overlays button (not the "Overlays" button, but the one that looks like an orchard hex), select the vbm tab, and drag away. If no obstacle is visible, you can bypass. You then have to delete it once you have made your determination.

JR