Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Pretty sure it's a no.

Can't find a Q&A but am sure I've seen one somewhere.
I am not doubting your memory, Vinnie, but I do not see a Q&A to that effect in Klas's most recent compilations of Q&As or Perry Sezes. As recently as Journal 11, the E1.531 Straying Exceptions were expanded without adding Recall to the list.

You are probably correct - if only for game simplicity and to, perhaps, avoid some creative sleaze tactics. Though I would say that forcing a Recalled vehicle to suffer Straying effects could lead to some interesting (or at least amusing) situations. I'd be cool with it!

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would think that recalled units would have to make straying DRs. Just because it's running away from the battle, doesn't mean it suddenly developed night vision.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would think that recalled units would have to make straying DRs. Just because it's running away from the battle, doesn't mean it suddenly developed night vision.
Generally they try and avoid letting recalled unjts stay for anylenth of time to avoid sleazy use of them. That's why I'm pretty sure they don't stray.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see what what you're saying. But as there is no exception for that in the night rules, I would still make them roll.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It could be disastrous for the vehicle too. A recalled tank that blunders right onto a bunch of squads with fausts in a scenario with CVP counting for example. Seems like they should stray to me, especially as there is no rule exception.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It could be disastrous for the vehicle too. A recalled tank that blunders right onto a bunch of squads with fausts in a scenario with CVP counting for example. Seems like they should stray to me, especially as there is no rule exception.
But it could be just the opposite in a scenario without one, the vehicle becomes near KEU or fires TPBF at the enemy with array of MGs/MA (SA FT) etc... They might set off minefields that were unknown...rip out wire...find other fortifications all as a sort of crazy "recon while lost"...mayve even better than prisoner interrogation...why b/c say they find nothing but went wayyyy down some hexrow into your backfield....not next turn the roll again to head back home and maybe the don't stray but the new route home leads them to find all the above again along a different route...awesome!

That is why I favor do not stray...the general DFE of Recall as I see it...is this vehicle goes away ASAP without much effective control by the player...

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But it could be just the opposite in a scenario without one, the vehicle becomes near KEU or fires TPBF at the enemy with array of MGs/MA (SA FT) etc... They might set off minefields that were unknown...rip out wire...find other fortifications all as a sort of crazy "recon while lost"...mayve even better than prisoner interrogation...why b/c say they find nothing but went wayyyy down some hexrow into your backfield....not next turn the roll again to head back home and maybe the don't stray but the new route home leads them to find all the above again along a different route...awesome!

That is why I favor do not stray...the general DFE of Recall as I see it...is this vehicle goes away ASAP without much effective control by the player...
The fortunes of war!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Plausible...but the vehicle was far* more likely than a HS/squad to have a compass at hand never mind a radio/map and so had better "bearings" to get "home."

So if you wanna play for chrome (and to acknowledge your point) its "before any Straying DR make a dr, if 1 vehicle might stray as per Exxxx, if 2-6 vehicle is Recalled and never makes a Straying DR again..."

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Plausible...but the vehicle was far* more likely than a HS/squad to have a compass at hand never mind a radio/map and so had better "bearings" to get "home."

So if you wanna play for chrome (and to acknowledge your point) its "before any Straying DR make a dr, if 1 vehicle might stray as per Exxxx, if 2-6 vehicle is Recalled and never makes a Straying DR again..."
Not a very convincing argument as E1.53 already specifically mentions straying vehicles. As far as the rules take us, possible Straying, even if under RECALL, would seem a prudent course of action.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

True, but since one of the reasons a vehicle is being recalled, is because one or more of the crew is killed, most likely the commander, the surviving crew might not even think to use, or know how to use the map, compass, etc.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a very convincing argument as E1.53 already specifically mentions straying vehicles. As far as the rules take us, possible Straying, even if under RECALL, would seem a prudent course of action.
I know non-recalled vehicles stray. To me it just seemed odd that a recalled vehicle which is one that effectively the player has lost control of and a game mechanic for its control now guides it...that another game mechanic for loss of control (straying) would come to override the "go home now by the shortest path" mechanic. (I sort of wonder and it is just speculation on my part that the designers forgot to account for Recall due to KIA of the "vehicle commander.")