Strategies for being a Sniper

Ryan101st

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of all the things you need to master in BF1942, sniping is one of the hardest. Use this thread to share any hints and tips you may have on the subject.

Here are a few suggestions of my own:

Sniper Nest

When looking for a sniper nest, try to avoid the obvious places such as in towers or on top of buildings. The best places to go would be inside bunkers, under bushes, behind trees, or any other place where you won’t stand out too much. The deck of a ship close to shore has always been one of my favorite places to snipe from. Not too many other players look out at ships searching for snipers and even if they do, there are plenty of boxes and guns to hide behind to ensure your safety.

Targets

a. Unless you’re a highly skilled sniper, don’t try and shoot people moving adjacent to your position, it’s just a waste of ammo. The best targets to go for are those that are stationary. To find this type of target, keep an eye on mounted machine guns and anti-aircraft weapons.

b. Another easy target that should be pretty obvious is other snipers. To find other snipers, look behind trees, around bushes, or any other place that you would consider hiding. A good strategy to use is to keep an eye on enemy snipers when you see them run by. There is a good chance that sniper may find a target and go into the prone position while he is in your sight. If that is the case, you know what to do.

Shooting

When you find a good target and are ready to shoot, make sure you go for a headshot. If you don’t, the target will only be wounded (unless he was already wounded) and therefore, know that someone has found his location. This will obviously result in him moving away and you losing a perfectly good shot.

scuud

Reaction score
Is there going to be a thread for general strategies? I enjoy parachuting onto enemy carriers and sniping people as they spawn with the garand or the japanese equivalent, either works.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by scuud
Is there going to be a thread for general strategies? I enjoy parachuting onto enemy carriers and sniping people as they spawn with the garand or the japanese equivalent, either works.
That strategy may get you some enemies in some servers. People don't like spawn campers.

Viking67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Ryan101st
a. Unless you’re a highly skilled sniper, don’t try and shoot people moving adjacent to your position, it’s just a waste of ammo. The best targets to go for are those that are stationary. To find this type of target, keep an eye on mounted machine guns and anti-aircraft weapons.
Especially wasteful in internet multiplayer. With my connection, you'll shoot and then have about 1 second before the round hits, so either aim ahead of them or wait 'til they've stopped.

Like you said, avoid obvious places like towers. Unless there's nothing around a tower won't help anyway. The enemy will be behind buildings all around any city or town, so you'd be just as good to find a position on the ground. The only time you should take a tower is when there's nothing around for a long way, like the windmill in Bocage. Then you can see very far. I like sniping out of the little peepholes instead of the balcony.

V67

Patrocles

Reaction score
Once I hit a target or two I like to move to a new sniper nest. If I feel confident I will remain in the same location, but after many kills the enemy will come looking for you.

I don't play sniper much (they are thankfully limited in Forgotten Hope!) but I did find it a good way to understand the multiplayer game. You can hide out and just watch the other players go at it with you binoculars or rifle scope!

Also, if you playing a sniper in BF1942 remember to use your binoculars to spot targets for artillery!

Gepard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another Thought

Picking a location:

Often times you can stand back in a room and not be really visable when looking out the window or door. You can snipe in safety of being shot, but be aware of people trying to sneak up on you. If you do sneak up on such a sniper, use the knife.

Viking67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
Are there any differences in tactics with each country's rifle? Do they all aim/shoot the same?
Yeah, they're almost exactly the same, aren't they?

V67

Ryan101st

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are actually only two different types of sniper rifles used in the game. The Axis nations use the German K-98 while the Allied nations use the British No. 4 Enfield. The only differences I have found between the two are the way they look and the way they sound.

Viking67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Army
Don't US troops have Springfield M1903 Sniper Rifle, Ryan?
Not in regular BF 1942. I don't know about the sequels.

V67

Patrocles

Reaction score
Re: Another Thought

Originally posted by Gepard
Picking a location:

Often times you can stand back in a room and not be really visable when looking out the window or door. You can snipe in safety of being shot, but be aware of people trying to sneak up on you. If you do sneak up on such a sniper, use the knife.
yeah, nothing sweeter than knifing a sniper! ha ha

Attica

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only thing that I don't like about snipers is that in maps like Market Garden, you have about 7 or 8 snipers on the axis team alone. It seems that people don't pay attention to what is already out there.

Then again, I have a lot of BF1942 pet peeves.