Strange results from unit activation

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all,

I have jumped into the deep end with SASL and playing the Pegasus Bridge campaign as my first attempt - I am on my first scenario of the campaign and a few goes in.

The current position is that most of the suspect counters in advance attitude have been revealed - the AC number was 4 and thus very few suspect counters ended up as dummies.

The resulting rolls for units generated from activated suspect counters were, in almost every case 4's/5's & 6's and with the - 1 for advance attitude resulted in nearly every activation generating a leader!! I know have nearly 18 leaders on the board.

Does anyone use any house rules to tackle strange results from the randomisation of the DR's? I notice in other campaign games (RB for example) the number of leaders is restricted based on the number of squads divided by 4 or 5 (can't remember exactly), or maybe I have missed something in the SASL rules that caters for this occurrence.

My thoughts are to ignore leader generation if the number of leaders currently in play exceeds squads/4 as per RB - there is no such restrictions in the PB campaign rules.

Has anyone else come across this?

Regards

Simon

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
QUOTE="Simon62, post: 2060675, member: 50468"]
Hi all,

I have jumped into the deep end with SASL and playing the Pegasus Bridge campaign as my first attempt - I am on my first scenario of the campaign and a few goes in.

The current position is that most of the suspect counters in advance attitude have been revealed - the AC number was 4 and thus very few suspect counters ended up as dummies.

The resulting rolls for units generated from activated suspect counters were, in almost every case 4's/5's & 6's and with the - 1 for advance attitude resulted in nearly every activation generating a leader!! I know have nearly 18 leaders on the board.

Does anyone use any house rules to tackle strange results from the randomisation of the DR's? I notice in other campaign games (RB for example) the number of leaders is restricted based on the number of squads divided by 4 or 5 (can't remember exactly), or maybe I have missed something in the SASL rules that caters for this occurrence.

My thoughts are to ignore leader generation if the number of leaders currently in play exceeds squads/4 as per RB - there is no such restrictions in the PB campaign rules.

Has anyone else come across this?

Regards

Simon
[/QUOTE]
In most SASL scenarios, very few leaders are activated. The enemy is very lucky in your scenario. If I was going to restrict the number of leaders, I would follow the guidlines for leader ro squad ratio set forth in Chapter H

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I've played some missions that ended up having high leader/squad ratios but as far as I can recall nothing as extreme as what you're describing. Maybe b/c I've never attempted a SASL play of a HASL campaign (I enjoy standalone missions on HASL maps, campaigns just aren't my thing.) How do you apply the leader limit? Do you just ignore generated leaders once you hit the limit, or is it more that you remove the excess leaders at the end of the campaign day? (And if the latter how does the mechanic work - do you start by removing the leader furthest from a FRIENDLY unit and work your way in?)

If the leader/squads limit works for you then absolutely go with that. It occurs to me you could also introduce a random limit by rolling a 3rd die when rolling on the ENEMY leader table (in this case G3) and throwing out the leader depending on the 3rd die result (i.e. no leader if the 3rd die is 1-2, or odds, etc. depending on just how tight a cap you want to apply.)

In any case as you progress through the campaign you'll want to keep an eye on the ENEMY leader level as these things tend to randomize themselves out eventually, and with ENEMY in advance attitude they'll need more leaders since they'll be breaking a lot. (You're probably already aware of this but it doesn't hurt to mention.)

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
We've had some scenarios where we've had a very high leader count and some with a very low leader count. ( We've been playing random scenarios from the beginning of the war to the end as a German Company )

We never really came up with a house rule to limit leaders, just made jokes of it when it happens. Otherwise we've just gone with it.

I have been thinking about using the company rosters in the rule book as a base to limit the number of leaders but have not tried it. I like Barking Monkey's idea of a third die.