Strange Occurrence

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey VASL crowd, a friend just told me that while he and his opponent were playing a game VASL this morning a guy named "Craig" popped into their room, clicked and dragged the screen (selecting all the counters) then deleted the counters and immediately left the room. Has anyone else experienced this act before? And know who this Craig guy is?

My friend was able to hit the Undo button (pat on the back for whoever made that button) and get back his counters.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey VASL crowd, a friend just told me that while he and his opponent were playing a game VASL this morning a guy named "Craig" popped into their room, clicked and dragged the screen (selecting all the counters) then deleted the counters and immediately left the room. Has anyone else experienced this act before? And know who this Craig guy is?

My friend was able to hit the Undo button (pat on the back for whoever made that button) and get back his counters.
At least he was able to fix it.

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I've always wondered about this but of course never actually tried if I could do anything on board as a spectator.

I guess a possible fix for this would be that - at least by default - spectators cannot affect the game state in any way.

It's too bad if people have to lock their rooms because of this, because I'm sure there are others like me who like to spectate a game every now and then.

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Although, now that I think of it, does VASL actually have any idea who the players are and who are just spectators? Apart from the person who created the room (has to be a player), I guess not.

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This post is not a witch hunt, but he mention it was a bit unexpected and through them for a loop as they had to scramble to figure out how to salvage their game. I just wondering if this was a one of mistake, or was it something nefarious done by a rogue Star Wars VASSAL player looking for revenge. ;)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
AFAIK there was some other dude a couple of months ago that did the same repeatedly.

By default, I always save my games upon conclusion of each halfturn or upon any player losing connection to the server. In the cases as described, the UNDO-button will most likely save you. Furthermore, the 'owner' of the room can 'kick' others from the room.

Of course, it is possible to lock rooms outright. I am reluctant to do that, though. In 95%+ of the cases, this hits the 'good guys' and in case a 'bad guy' tries to screw up a game, it can mostly be fixed easily and you can then still lock the room if he has shown himself.

I just wondering if this was a one of mistake, or was it something nefarious done by a rogue Star Wars VASSAL player looking for revenge.
Doesn't look like a mistake but rather intentional in the case that you describe. And you may be right...
I was always in favor of the Empire anyway and not of those dirty rebels that have 'somethings' like Jah jah Binks among them...

von Marwitz

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Locking your rooms and sharing the screen on DISCORD is the solution for those players that want both to SHARE and protect.

I think the occurrence is so low, as long as you simply undo...its not an issue.

Recording a log file is useful as well...as you will RECORD the actions.