Straffing runs ( at night)

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi,

It is well known that although less effective as long as an area was illuminated (on fire) it was
quite easy to see buildings indeed they were literally beacons to aircraft ( and bombers).

As I am developing a night attack in complex terrain I have come across a situation that is as follows:

Firstly I am not sure whether to grant infantry illum the same status as burning buildings. If the answer to that is no then the rest of this may be ignored.

So - if we are to keep going- an series of infantry are in a gully and only part of it is (infantry) illuminated ( star shell), if a stuka makes a successful sighting TC on the illuminated unit should it be able to "continue" the attack into the non illuminated part of the same gully?

Thanks for your reply.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I’d say no as Stukas didn’t fly at night

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
https://books.google.com/books?id=viZvCwAAQBAJ&pg=RA1-PR15&lpg=RA1-PR15&dq=stuka+attack+at+night&source=bl&ots=XNHY5rZiTu&sig=lP2pwgcBUusdKHnSwAKIFUeSh9Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI_6uuzvPYAhUS0VMKHX5FCpw4ChDoAQhDMAY#v=onepage&q=stuka attack at night&f=false

Late in 1944, when the JU-87 was retired from the mission as Stukas in close air support aircraft, [the Geschwader] was converted to a night bomber unit. This was past my time as Geschwadercommandeur. It was not very effective.
JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
By 1940, the Stuka was out classed by the Allied fighter planes and flying during the day was very very dangerous. On the East front, it's utility was longer lived more due to the length of front so local air superiority could be gained allowing the Stuka to be used.

Although night bombing was done a lot, it was more on the operational scale rather than tactical support. I would not use the standard Air Support rules but limit the bombing to Area Target Type on illuminated locations only. The illumination would have to be from something greater than a starshell.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By 1940, the Stuka was out classed by the Allied fighter planes and flying during the day was very very dangerous. On the East front, it's utility was longer lived more due to the length of front so local air superiority could be gained allowing the Stuka to be used.

Although night bombing was done a lot, it was more on the operational scale rather than tactical support. I would not use the standard Air Support rules but limit the bombing to Area Target Type on illuminated locations only. The illumination would have to be from something greater than a starshell.
Ah, finally a situation for an oft awaited direct fire illum rule!