StN4 Get the Lights!

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Played ASL scenario StN4 "Get the Lights!" last night. The British were tasked with knocking out the St Nazaire Power Station with a one and a half Commando squads (I believe this represents the Assault and Covering squads historically), LMG, demo squad (2-2-8) and two DC. They have 2 heroic leaders. They could also have gone for 10 VC attacking other locations.

I chose to go for the Power Station as I announced to the German player (Kevin Conley) since "that's why Andrew Hershey (designer) named the scenario what he did!" In hindsight I think the Brits are better off waiting to commit their DC squad once the German reinforcement groups are activated (similar to SASL rules). There are a couple of 6 VP options to attack (swing bridges) and by my math the MGB can exit for an additional 5 Exit VP.

As it was I pushed toward the Power Station via assault moves and advances. Took out a few German half squads and crews in CC, the motor gun boat knocked out a 37L AA gun (crew rolled a 12 MC) and Brits got two half squads and the 9-2 (9-1 had battle hardened) into the Power Station.

Then the 9-2 promptly rolled an 11 on an MC. We are not clear if this is a wound or a break per St. Nazaire rules. They state that heroic leaders are heroic for all purposes but "wound as leaders. " We decided to break him. In their next half turn (turn 4) Germans were able to get into CC with demo squad and eliminate it. I conceded at that point as the squads have a +2 on DC attacks and I was tired! :)

Really enjoyed the scenario and LOVE all the chrome. Things we did:

1. Use searchlights
2. Run a boat, take damage, and cause damage!
3. Use fanatic 8 morale squads with Heroic leaders! I could get -4 ambush rolls going into CC!
4. Activate a LOT (all but 1 possible) of German reinforcement groups

Some things to remember for the next scenario as the Brits:
1. Must protect demo squads at all costs
2. May be better to give some DCs to squads and then transfer to demo squads when needed to force the Germans to spread out their counterattack more
3. Deploying into half squads - cannot recombine- cannot use SW and inherent so lose the LMG firepower - Might be better not to deploy? But here again this means a single target for Germans and can lock full squads up in CC?

Next we are going to a little larger scenario "Alongside the Old Mole" with 6 boats and the Campbelltown!

Turn 1 in progress
2018-05-29 20.52.16.jpg
Situation at end of British 3

2018-05-29 22.46.33.jpg
Sit

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You played the leader (BOLD above) correctly...
I am confused by this. Leaders are treated as heroes except they wound like leaders. A hero never breaks. By rolling higher than its ML, the 9-2 should have wounded, not broken. The difference for "wounding like leaders" should be that if an already-wounded leader fails a MC, it will not automatically die (as a hero would per A15.2) but rather rolls wound severity with a +1 drm like a leader would.

JR

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Yes, agree. I misunderstood. My bad. Thanks for the redirect.
I am confused by this. Leaders are treated as heroes except they wound like leaders. A hero never breaks. By rolling higher than its ML, the 9-2 should have wounded, not broken. The difference for "wounding like leaders" should be that if an already-wounded leader fails a MC, it will not automatically die (as a hero would per A15.2) but rather rolls wound severity with a +1 drm like a leader would.

JR
SMC Rules.png

That was exactly our confusion. Ok so leader fails check- Wound Severity die roll. Already wounded leader can continue being wounded assuming die rolls 1-4 (with applicable wound mod, so 1-3)? Thanks guys!