Still doing it for ya's??

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey you guys, why are you still plying this old game?? I understand if its all your technology will allow you to play, or its DD's excellent campaigns that float ya boat, but does anyone still play singlplayer?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do! I still consider it one of the finest tactical wargames out there - especially for modern battles. I love creating what-if custom battles and fighting them out against the AI.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't find time to play much lately but I do try to spend any time I can with the game designing. I have about 8 campaigns in various stages of completion but most likely only a few will be done. Its not the design that seems to take the most time. I have most of the scenarios for them done and playtested they are only laking the campaign texts and actually being strung together as campaigns in the editor.

Last edited:

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I tried to understand that editer a couple years back, but it hurt my noggin too much!

one day a miracle will happen and someone will design an auto generating campaign system!

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tried to understand that editer a couple years back, but it hurt my noggin too much!

one day a miracle will happen and someone will design an auto generating campaign system!
I created an MS Access DB where you just enter all the data then run the Report script and it creates all the necessary text files BUT you still need to actually write the story and enter all the text into Access but it works pretty good. Once the files are created you just move them to the campaign folder of your WinSP install. I'll add some screenshots when I get time.

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it's one of the best tactical wargames there is. I haven't played them all, but I know it must be one of the best ever. It has one hell of a data base.

Vas FURY

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Hmm, i dont even mind SP being 2D (but sort of with a 3D look) , like Close Combat, as long as the graphics are updated a little bit.

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I too don't mind 2D, but never the less I wish they would upgrade the graphics, like when tanks are in the same hex they overlap each other. What's worse than that is the sound, specifically that ricochet sound. I can't stand it, after listing to that racket for years, I had to turn off the sound.

Last edited:

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the thing that makes this game so good is a great data base and a random battle generator. Steel Panthers is like the back bone of all wargaming. With out it, wargaming just wouldn't be the same (or at least computerized wargaming). Not very pretty, but one heck of a good game.

Last edited:

Xavier

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Hey you guys, why are you still plying this old game?? I understand if its all your technology will allow you to play, or its DD's excellent campaigns that float ya boat, but does anyone still play singlplayer?

I play winSPMBT and WinSPWW2 almost everyday, pbem campaigns with friends.
Graphics are olds, even in high resolution, but these games are still ones of the best pc wargames on earth.

Last edited:

Xavier

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
What's worse than that is the sound, specifically that ricochet sound. I can't stand it, after listing to that racket for years, I had to turn off the sound.

Go to the Shrapnel winspmbt forum. There is a link to downloads new sounds for winspmbt and winspww2.

I find the richochet sound very boring, with news sounds is a little less boring :laugh: