Sticky: Latest Scenario Version & Briefing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
As players have realised by now, this scenario tends to evolve in fits and starts, either as a result of individual suggestions, or because I've had time to sit down and really work on it for a few days or longer. I know that many of you don't like the fact that you're not sure what the latest version is, because I don't feel that very minor changes demand renumbering the scenario. I sometimes get requests, either via the Board or privately, for the latest version.

I propose keeping this as a 'sticky', which will always have the most up-to-date version posted, with an explanation of how it differs from the previous version. This way players starting a new game can take a look and decide whether it's worth downloading.

This is NOT intended as a discussion thread, otherwise it will very quickly swell to unmanageable proportions - if you've got any new suggestions or comments on what I've done, please start a new, or continue an existing, thread. Therefore the only messages you'll see after this one are from me - even if you just feel like saying 'Good idea', or 'Ridiculous', put it somewhere else.

I really hope to find time on my next long break to sit down and analyse Lou's suggestions about looping Events, which will allow some significant changes if I can make it work. In the meantime, this is the latest version with the most recent changes:

some cleaning up of the map - odd river spurs, etc.

corrected a couple of units that didn't deploy properly

Tito's Partisans arrive over a longer period and I've taken away their very heavy weaponry

early model Russian tanks which survive the destruction of their parent, non-reconstituting mechanised corps will have slots in later Soviet armoured, mechanised and cavalry units

NKVD units appear in Tehran, and Helsinki & Petsamo, if Iran and Finland surrender (similar to those in the Baltic States, Eastern Poland and Bessarabia and for the same reasons)

A News String prohibits the use of the Axis 'Barbarossa' Theatre Option for six weeks after the Germans land in the UK (see previous threads for details)

the static Colonial French formation mobilises if (i) the Axis moves adjacent to or attacks it (ii) the Axis get to within two hexes of Paris (iii) Italy enters the war

the Late War French infantry (probably only relevant in an Eastern Crusade game) which arrive first appear as motorised, rather than mechanised, units

DON''T PRESS 'REPLY': START A NEW THREAD

(Attachment removed - latest version below!)

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenario Briefing

Here is the latest version of the briefing:

(Attachment removed - latest version below!)

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Europe Aflame 3.4 (b)

Major changes for Europe Aflame 3.4 (b)

Limited the number of German units that can be deployed in North Africa by sea - the number increases as the major Mediterranean islands and ports are captured by the Axis

If the Axis player choses the Theatre Option 'Pre-War Builds' it will automatically trigger a similar build-up by the Red Army that is assumed to take place during the 1930s

The Turkish Army (whether pro-Allied or Axis) will undergo a major expansion during 1941, as it did historically

The 50% chance of Italy surrendering on the fall of Messina only becomes operative on the fall of the Italian Libyan administrative centre of Tripoli

Trucks are now produced from the very start of the war

More airfields, particularly in Western Europe

Cancelled the supply bonuses/penalties for the capture of Gibraltar (formerly 3 each for the Axis and Allies) - Gibraltar is a strategic point to occupy, which is already represented in the scenario, not an arms production centre or key transit port for equipment.

Cancel the Axis supply bonus for Malta. Instead, removed the Axis supply point from Benghazi, until the Axis take Malta. This will mean that Axis units on the borders of Egypt will be operating at the end of a supply line stretching back to Tripoli (unless they've taken Malta.)

Reduce the supply change for Narvik from 5 to 3. 3 is the industrial output for both France and Italy, so 5 is definitely too high.

Reduce the Allied supply loss for Suez from 4 to 2: again, if the entire output of France or Italy is 3 then 4 is too high.

Increase the net post 'Overlord' bonus from +6 to +10 for the Allies

Split the Alied 'Africa' formation into 'Middle East Command' reconstituting in Egypt and 'Iraq/Persia Command' - mainly the Indians - reconstituting in Basra. This will allow some limited division of the larger units.

Last edited:

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Few more minor changes

Redid the Belgian OOB, largely based on Dr. Niehorster's site, and placed the corps where they actually were (in Spring 1940 at least). Didn't deliberately aim to make the country more defensible, but that's the effect - blame the Belgian High Command, not me.

Renamed the German 'Landwehr' Corps' and added one more as 'Border Guards I, II, 12 & 15' which was their actual number and designation in the East, and put them with the correct armies (September 1939, again thanks to Dr. Niehorster's site). Didn't do the same in the West as the two large border forts assumed to include those units.

Split up the three very large 'French Reserve Corps' and instead have them appearing as nine division-sized units in the major cities. Same TOEs but pro-rata'd down, still with a move of one only, still low (25%) proficiency, still mobilised when Axis move to within two hexes of Paris, but looks more likely than them appearing in three giant clumps.

Last edited:

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
My apologies for yet another correction. The Pre-War Builds TO also triggers an increase in the USEV. Thinking to make it more interesting, the last version had the USEV increase as a 50% possibility: I hadn't realised that - as the Pre-War Builds are directly linked to that Event - if it didn't trigger neither would the builds.

Most of the time a 50% chance does trigger, so it hasn't been noticed until now. Mantis did ask when I first posted the last version, but when I checked it the 50% trigger did work and the builds appeared - several times in a row - so I thought that he was using an older version and ignored him. :D

(Annoying thing is that I've posted this on other sites as well.)

I've now restored it to 100%.

While I'm at it, a few more minor things:

changed the French base at Dakar, Senegal (as per JAMiAM's suggestion) so that it's not connected to mainland Africa. Whichever side controls it (it may turn from French to Vichy during the game) needs to ensure that it can be supplied by sea: if not the units there will become very weak and an easy target for a seaborne invasion. It was never intended that fighting for it spills over into sub-Saharan Africa

added some Italian armoured equipment to the Russian oilfield bonuses if they're captured by the Axis - I suppose that Hitler would have let Mussolini have had some of the extra output

disbanded the imaginary German 'Bef security corps' and replaced them by the correctly numbered security divisons that actually existed

disbanded the imaginary Bulgarian security divisions and replaced them by the correctly numbered occupation divisions that actually existed

redid the Croatian OOB as per Dr. Niehorster's site

corrected the deployment of an Italian infantry corps that was scheduled to depoly on an Alp, and never would!

added some slots for the obselete French D500/510 planes to second line and Vichy units

corrected the Vichy Mediterranean fighter unit deploying on the Balearic Isles

removed the German III Motorised Corps from East Prussia at the start of the game and now have it deploying in 1941, which it did. The Germans still have the three correctly numbered motorised corps that were deployed on the Polish border in 1939

corrected one or two more units with overassigned equipment that had slipped through the net

made a few of the NKVD security divisions motorised - although they were mainly anti-partisan and rear troops, some were motorised and did get caught up in front line combat - and changed a few Red Army railway repair units to NKVD - there were some, but eye candy really

This has probably fatally compromised the whole scenario once again: do let me know.

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Version 3.4 (c)

Some very minor corrections/changes

Pelle noticed a few more overassigned units and formation proficiency oddities

Built a river with anchorages so that a reconstituting US fleet can escape from the Great Lakes (and made them deep water so that it won't sink)

Radius for Allied capture of Tripoli (which triggers the 50% chance of an Allied seizure of Messini causing Italian surrender) was set to 'one', so even entering the outskirts would trigger it - reduced to 'zero' now

Some more minor tinkering with the OOBs - e.g. Mussolini's post-surrender Fascist forces are correctly named and iconed instead of being two imaginary corps, few more like that

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
EA - TOAW III conversion - 3.4 (d) sort of beta

After running the scenario several times, triggering different events and capturing different capitals, I can't reproduce the serious bugs that some players mentioned following the conversion. I've corrected a couple of non-appearing units, made the changes to the Horn area suggested by JAMiAN, given some HQs military police units to aid traffic control, added the Baltic States forces and checked the Events related to their mobilisation and the Soviet option to disband them after France falls. I've also checked formation proficiencies and supply - some of the newer had 100% - 100%, except for the poor old Panzer Group Afrika, which was stuck forever at 10% supply.

I'll post this at the sticky, should be perfectly playable, but there are still 400+ extra events that it would be nice to utilise, so this is a bit of a beta.

I honestly believe there aren't any killer bugs, but I've been saying this for several years.

I haven't rewritten the Briefing to cover the Baltic States yet.

Last edited:

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Eastern Crusade

I've made the changes proposed earlier:

if the Axis take their pre-war builds as a TO, the Red Army will get the existing mobile reinforcements, whether or not an Eastern Crusade game is chosen

if the Axis don't take the reinforcements, the Red Army will not get theirs, whether or not an Eastern Crusade game is chosen

if an Eastern Crusade game is chosen, the Red Army will instead raise four Red Cavalry armies of one HQ and two '3 - 4' cavalry corps each, and the Stalin Line will be further extended, although it still won't cover the entire front. Can't bring the damn things on in fortified status.

This will give the Axis player a genuine choice when he sees the French extend the Maginot Line: currently there is no point in his not taking the pre-war builds, since the Red Army will get their 1930s extras anyway as soon as the Eastern Crusade is chosen. The idea behind this is that if Stalin doesn't see the Germans raising more mobile forces in the 1930s he still executes Marshal Tukhachevski, and relies instead on traditional fortifications and cavalry armies to counter an 'early' German move east. If the Axis decide not to take the Eastern Crusade option they'll have to blast their way through the extended Maginot Line, but the Russians will get neither their mobile 1930s extras, nor the forts and cavalry. I think this makes more sense, and may make an Eastern Crusade game more challenging for the Axis.

I've also taken the 122mm howitzers away from the Russian cavalry and replaced them with 82mm mortars, which seems more likely

The rail line from the Crimea now runs along a narrow embankment through the Sivash Sea to Mariupol, which it did, rather than across the Perekop Ithmus.

I've added an Allied Supply Point to Sevastapol to make it more defensible - at present the Axis just need to surround it and the garrison will wither away.

I've checked these changes and they function properly.

My immediate plan for the scenario in the future is to upgrade the CoW version, as far as I can, with these and the Baltic States changes, and then leave it as it is for good.

I can then concentrate on developing the TOAW III version further, using the extra events.

I'm calling this version Europe Aflame (TOAW III a). Any hideous bugs, please post a thread on the EA forum.

Still haven't rewritten the Briefing, as I'm interested in seeing whether there's any player feedback before I stick this on the other scenario depots.

Last edited:

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
I also plan (for the CoW version) to:

include the Iranian Army from the start, seven of its nine divisions, four of its five independent brigades, and the mechanised brigade - the others must be off map :).

place Axis Supply Point in Tehran and redraw the Iranian map a bit - it's very crude at the moment

Formation starts 'static', will mobilise if (i) attacked - the borders will be covered) or (ii) about two months after the Russo-German war begins.

The army surrenders if Tehran is lost. VERY weak, which they were, but all this may give the Allies the incentive to invade Iran to prevent any tiddling and widdling to the south of the USSR, which they did. If the Iranians do mobilise themselves, the Indian 'Iraqforce' will appear embarked off of Abadan.

Replace the giant Axis Russian corps which at present appear in one fell swoop with smaller regimental sized units, spread over time. They'll be more use for anti-partisan work or occupying fixed defences than slugging it out toe-to-toe with Soviet Rifle Corps. For what it'll be worth I'll include poor Vlasov's two divisions in 1944.

Given the reported problems with this scenario in TOAW III, it may then be better to convert the finished CoW version to TOAW III myself and see what happens, then think about using the new spare Events.

Last edited:

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hopefully the final version (ever) for CoW

This should be the final version of the Europe Aflame scenario for the Century of Warfare engine.

Most of the changes are mentioned under the TOAW III version threads, but:

added the Baltic States as pro-Axis neutral: mobilise if Allied unit moves adjacent or attacks, or if the Axis player chooses an Eastern Crusade game. Surrender if Kovno falls or - in a normal game only - once Paris falls. Stalin was then able to pressure the three states into disbanding their armies, followed by the usual rigged elections, arrests and deportations. What point is there in ever invading before then? It will raise the attacking Red Army's proficiency and, if the Allied player is execting the German to try a 'Sealion' after the Fall of France it will allow Soviet troops to be deployed forward for an attack.

Added the Iranians as pro-Axis neutral: mobilise if Allied unit moves adjacent or attacks, or a 75% chance within eight turns when the Russo-German war starts, in which case the British get a new corps - 'Iraqforce' in Basra. VERY low proficiency, as historically they were simply brushed aside in a week or so, but might be a nuisance if not taken out. Surrender if Tehran falls, which is also an Axis supply point.

Split the giant 'Hiwi' corps into regimental sized units, appearing over time in different Russian cities and getting progressively better armed and trained. Vlasov's two divisions appear in Prague in mid-1944.

If the Axis take their pre-war builds as a TO, the Red Army will get the existing mobile reinforcements, whether or not an Eastern Crusade game is chosen

If the Axis don't take the reinforcements, the Red Army will not get theirs, whether or not an Eastern Crusade game is chosen

If an Eastern Crusade game is chosen, the Red Army will instead raise four Red Cavalry armies of one HQ and two '3 - 4' cavalry corps each, and the Stalin Line will be further extended, although it still won't cover the entire front. Can't bring the damn things on in fortified status.

This will give the Axis player a genuine choice when he sees the French extend the Maginot Line: currently there is no point in his not taking the pre-war builds, since the Red Army will get their 1930s extras anyway as soon as the Eastern Crusade is chosen. The idea behind this is that if Stalin doesn't see the Germans raising more mobile forces in the 1930s he still executes Marshal Tukhachevski, and relies instead on traditional fortifications and cavalry armies to counter an 'early' German move east. If the Axis decide not to take the Eastern Crusade option they'll have to blast their way through the extended Maginot Line, but the Russians will get neither their mobile 1930s extras, nor the forts and cavalry. I think this makes more sense, and may make an Eastern Crusade game more challenging for the Axis.

I've also taken the 122mm howitzers away from the Russian cavalry and replaced them with 82mm mortars, which seems more likely

The rail line from the Crimea now runs along a narrow embankment through the Sivash Sea to Mariupol, which it did, rather than across the Perekop Ithmus.

Ibn Saud will now mobilise as a small pro-Axis ally in Arabia if the Axis take Alexandria.

Updated the Briefing to cover these changes (attached).

I've tested them all repeatedly and am certain that they all work as intended. :lier:

For the future I'd like to use this CoW version as the basis for a TOAW III compatible version, in view of the reported problems with the disc scenario, but I'll need to take a look at it. My intention - unless some b*****d spots a bug - is that this will be the last ever CoW version, since most serious players seem to be changing to TOAW III (I know, not Shane!)

I'll post this on the various other CoW scenario depots once I see whether anyone spots the ever elusive bug.

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
TOAW III - working version

Attached is a revised version of this scenario for TOAW, produced in response to the reported problems (see the various forum threads) with the initial conversion of the scenario from TOAW A Century of Warfare to TOAW III.

I've incorporated all of the various updates to the CoW version, which are detailed in this sticky, and have added Sevastapol as an Allied supply point. Apart from this, the scenario is the same as the latest CoW version. I've also updated the Briefing (attached).

I've run repeated tests with this TOAW III version, triggering different Events and occupying different target hexes every time, and letting the game run through to the very end, and I have not found any bugs: certainly not the major problems described with formation withdrawing/not withdrawing when they're meant to. I'm therefore 99.9% certain that it's 'safe' to play this with TOAW III, and I hope that some players will.

Having said that, it's clearly impossible to try every possible different combination of Events and moves in a scenario of this size so, if there is some underlying problem that only occurs under very particular circumstances, I may simply not have encountered it.

I'd very much welcome feedback from any players who try this, even if it's just to say 'We played up to turn 100, then gave up, but everything worked OK until then'.

My plans are to stop developing the TOAW CoW version, and concentrate on improving this TOAW III one, using in particular the extra Events.

Last edited:

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Oh b******s!

Forget the above, I've attached the wrong bloody folder. :clown: No Iranians for a start.

I really am most dreadfully sorry. I'm trying to locate the right folder/file and will repost this as soon as I do.

My deepest apologies, and thanks to Jeremy for spotting it.

I'm crap at managing files.

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Please Lord, let this be the correct revision

Well, I know that I've said it before, but this REALLY should be the TOAW III- friendly version of Europe Aflame (Europe Aflame TOAW III (b)) & the amended Briefing.

Instead of revising the version that came with the TOAW III CD/download I've converted the most recent CoW version (3.4 (d)) from the ground up - so this includes the Balts, Iranians, MPs, etc as described above, or is it below?

Only extra is an Allied supply point in Sevastapol.

Apologies again for the delays and bog-ups on this: I honestly have run this for hoursandhoursandhours and it really does work.

1,000 rep points for the first person to find a bug.

(If the German Army withdraws on turn 80 I shall emulate the Fuehrer, retire to my bunker, swallow a copy of TOAW III, and shoot myself.)

Mark Stevens

Reaction score
Country
ll
Version (c) for TOAW III

Forgot to upload this - version (c). It's the one I submitted for the second version of TOAW III and is being supplied with the CD/download. The main change is a revision to the WWII Soviet rail network, based on actual maps rather than my vivid imagination (e.g. the main line south to the Caucasus went through Rostov, not Azov). This brings out more the importance of key junctions. Moved Novgorod to north of Lake Ilmen, where it was.

Also some very minor tidying up of a few individual units, nothing to concern anyone. :lier:

Status
Not open for further replies.